RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: Star Air Cylinder Question

Star Air Cylinder Question

Ive seen reference to letting the spring pressure off with the out of the box Magma Star lube sizer . "To save the seals" Does the air cylinder option need to be turned off after using . I really don't see the issue , as soon as the tool cools off the lube hardens and there's still the spring compressed but no pressure on the tool with the out of the box Star sizer. . BTW what seals are there . I did not think the lube pump piston had any. I understand that the air cylinder option from Magma or homemade air cylinders use very little air and keeps a air bubble under pressure upon the lube so no adjustments are needed for extended use other then adding more lube when needed and the air cylinder holds more lube then the "stock" out of the box sizer

With the factory piston, the spring will keep constant pressure unless backed off, good practice to back it off- or you may find lube oozing out later or possible premature failure of the hicar seal.

Yes, the only “seal” is the lube piston hicar seal. Other places it’s a machine fit between metals parts (pump).

The factory air cylinder uses the hicar seal and no spring. Mine pushes directly on the lube and no air gap. I still pop off the air hose relieving pressure when not used.

Someone does sell a method to pressurize the lube tube with a air cushion. No experience on that method.

Just like the Lyman 450 or my RCBD LAM’s, I relieve the pressure on them as well.

I use an air pressure system made by a member on here, don’t know if he is still around. Duke in Florida well know. I run 40 psi on mine. I always pull the air line off when not in use.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

That's my buddy, Kyle623. I have his phone number, and know that one of our (Pee Wee and Mine) friends recently bought one of Kyle's air kits. The purpose of the air kit is to eliminate having to continually ratchet on the wrench to keep the lube flowing.
    I'll send Kyle a message, and ask if it's OK to give everyone his number.
    He hasn't been on this forum in about a year now.

UPDATE:
    Kyle's been having a bunch of health issues, plus dealing with his Dad, who is not in the greatest of health. He only ever occasionally posts in Facebook, and hasn't even shot a gun in over a year.

I would suggest that anyone who is interested in one of Kyle's wonderful air kits please send me a PM, and I'll get you in touch with Kyle. He says he has a few air kits ready to go, but hasn't been on the lathe to make more in a long time. He called me during a brief break in his work day, and will call me back later on. The air kits are pretty inexpensive. I'll share the price with anyone who PM's me. Kyle's been buddy for a long time, and isn't doing well these days. Hoping to brighten his day.
    Last edited by DukeInFlorida; 06-29-2019 at 07:39 AM.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Thanks for a great forum, lots of helpful ideas here.
    I recently acquired a Star lube sizer and in the process of adding air to assist the lube process. Can anyone suggest what air cylinder they are using, I see all kinds of options. My Delrin plug that goes against the lube is 2.5 inches with 2 "O" rings and 5/16 bolt through the center for extraction. Seems to seal really well. But I'm in a quandary regarding air cylinder. Thanks in advance.

Boolit Master

Magma sells the air lube feed system for $105
    http://www.magmaengineering.com/magma-star-lube-sizer/

IF you are ONLY using the air to power the lube dispensing process, you can use a small air
    tank filled with 100 to 120 pounds of air and your regulator.

https://www.ruralking.com/5-gallon-p...SABEgJ7RfD_BwE

Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 07-25-2019 at 06:58 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontSite View Post
    Thanks for a great forum, lots of helpful ideas here.
    I recently acquired a Star lube sizer and in the process of adding air to assist the lube process. Can anyone suggest what air cylinder they are using, I see all kinds of options. My Delrin plug that goes against the lube is 2.5 inches with 2 "O" rings and 5/16 bolt through the center for extraction. Seems to seal really well. But I'm in a quandary regarding air cylinder. Thanks in advance.
    You don’t need an air cylinder! Just make a cap for the lube reservoir that has a quick change air fitting threaded into it. Hooking an air hose up to it and you will be all set. The sizer doesn’t use any air, it just uses the air pressure to push down the plunger/plug. I have an O ring inside my cap so that it seals the cylinder and doesn’t leak air. A simple regulator controls the air pressure.

Thanks "garandsrus". I'm always interested in saving a buck here and there, pays for powder and primers. I think I have everything I need now, neighbor was pitching a Harbor Freight compressor so i think I'm all set now
    Last edited by FrontSite; 08-05-2019 at 07:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Moderator Emeritus
    You don’t even need a compressor if you have an air tank. Fill it at the gas station and if it doesn’t leak when not in use, it will last a LONG time. If you get a compressor, the smallest one there is will work fine for this.