WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lyman Roll Crimper

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Attachment 244930Attachment 244931Attachment 244932Ask and ye shall receive, Mr Pressman! These pictures were taken a while back and were taken more to show the micrometer rotor than the #5, but you can see it's pretty rough. As best I have been able to determine, the rotor is an early example from MCRW.

Froggie
    That's pretty a cool setup. I've seen a few of these with the micrometer setup but I can't remember the name ... Culver maybe
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Scott,I feel a little guilty dragging this thread so far afield, but since you were the OP...

As best I’ve been able to research the story, Homer Culver developed his click micrometer rotor conversion for the Lyman #55 soon after the new version came out. The concept proved so popular that several other small companies produced their own version. Meanwhile, since there were still a lot of the old #5s out there at the time, Mr Culver converted at least one of those as well. I got my Culver Clone (a MCRW??) in a rather pedestrian #55 and was inspired to put it into an odd #5 body I happened to have. To be honest, I was just playing around to try and make something neat out of some left over parts, not meaning to fool anyone or commit a fraud on the collecting community.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Scott,I feel a little guilty dragging this thread so far afield, but since you were the OP...

As best I’ve been able to research the story, Homer Culver developed his click micrometer rotor conversion for the Lyman #55 soon after the new version came out. The concept proved so popular that several other small companies produced their own version. Meanwhile, since there were still a lot of the old #5s out there at the time, Mr Culver converted at least one of those as well. I got my Culver Clone (a MCRW??) in a rather pedestrian #55 and was inspired to put it into an odd #5 body I happened to have. To be honest, I was just playing around to try and make something neat out of some left over parts, not meaning to fool anyone or commit a fraud on the collecting community.

Froggie
    No worries Froggie, lots of good information shared!

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Banned
    That looks good. I was wondering if you had a Schmitt conversion. I have the hot running wants for one of them.
    It is kind of nice that #5 and #55 parts interchange.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm not familiar with the Schmitt conversion. What makes it distinguishable from the other Culver Clones, and are there any identifying marks I can look for?

The rotor assembly (and handle) can be interchanged, and the knocker didn't change until some time about the mid-70s. I like the one piece body and reservoir of the #5, but it makes it kinda tough to change anything. Also, you have to use the clamp since the little drop tube is so small in diameter, you can't use it for mounting.

BTW, have you heard anything about Project 55 lately? Any chance of it coming back online any time soon?

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    Since I broached the subject of Ideal #5 measures in this thread, I thought I'd add this little tidbit, so apropos of nothing..

While doing my usual scan of antique and vintage reloading tools on fleaBay, I found a listing for an Ideal #5 powder measure with a fairly low starting price. The pictures were sort of poorly done and the auction wasn't stirring up much interest, but I looked closely, and noticed that the offering was a #5 Micrometer rather than the standard model. I held my breath and crossed my fingers and put in a bid, then a slightly higher one, and lo and behold, I won!

I have a special affection for these micrometer measures because they are the only ones I could find that measured 4759 pretty consistently... not perfectly, but as good as I could shoot offhand. Anyway, I always wanted to keep one and a spare, but now I actually have an extra to use for trade bait or whatever... it was just too good an opportunity to pass up. Yep, every once in a while even a blind hog finds an acorn.

Froggie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BA157127-6949-4DD3-A025-286A28F7C99C.jpg  
    Last edited by Green Frog; 07-19-2019 at 07:18 PM.

Banned
    You are a Winner, everyone loves a Winner.

It is a great feeling to win one without getting a mortgage on the ranch.

Congratulations.

Boolit Grand Master
    The person selling it is apparently a beginner and sells all sorts of odd stuff they get from who-knows-where. Obviously they left a fair amount of shekels on the table by their lack of knowledge... but then again, that's why we buy stuff at auctions and tag sales, to get a potential bargain.

The first #5M I got, about 25 or 30 years ago, was at a little gun show in Northern VA. It had a tiny tag on it with the number 23, which I assumed was a stock number for the seller. I held it up and pointed at the tag and he said 23 dollars since it doesn't have the original rotor. Yes, I said, that's too bad (as I snatched the cash out of my wallet before he could change his mind!)

There have been others since then, but I doubt I'll ever beat that deal.

Froggie

PS Scott, again I want to apologize for the hijack, but it's been too much fun to resist. I hope you'll forgive!

Boolit Master

No worries Froggie, I like seeing new toys!!!

I must have missed that auction, I've been watching the #5's for awhile, hoping to find a decent priced "New Haven" model.
    Scott
    Last edited by dsh1106; 07-20-2020 at 06:37 PM.
    Scott

Boolit Master

Pictures of the Lyman Roll Crmper - from approx 1962 -1964
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7-18-20-4.jpg   7-18-20-3.jpg   7-18-20-2.jpg   7-18-20-1.jpg  
    Scott

Banned

Attachment 244930Attachment 244931Attachment 244932Ask and ye shall receive, Mr Pressman! These pictures were taken a while back and were taken more to show the micrometer rotor than the #5, but you can see it's pretty rough. As best I have been able to determine, the rotor is an early example from MCRW.

Froggie
    Rough?.......I still use a # 5 in similar condition!
    Last edited by smithnframe; 07-21-2020 at 04:47 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Rough?.......I still use a # 5 in similar condition!
    Since I used my #5 Micrometer to load at the bench for Schuetzen matches, it got a little extra wear and tear riding back and forth to events. Eventually I got a nice padded carrying case from Sinclair, but the finish had pretty well been beat up. As long as it works well, I don't worry that much about the finish on the units I take to the range for actual use, but if I want to put them on display I like to "pretty them up" a little bit!

Froggie

Boolit Man
    Interesting thread (including the #5 info.).

Did all the Lyman trimmers start out with the "complete" belt drive & crank wheel set-up like the excellent one dsh1106 pictured?

If so, modifying them must have been popular, I have 1 complete, 1 with just the hand crank wheel & 1 with only the belt-drive wheel.

I still have clean-up to do on the last one & need to find another oiler as mine is snapped off.

dsh1106
    I see there is a black "holder" in the pics, is it different than the 1 on the tool?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Brasse View Post
    Interesting thread (including the #5 info.).

Did all the Lyman trimmers start out with the "complete" belt drive & crank wheel set-up like the excellent one dsh1106 pictured?

If so, modifying them must have been popular, I have 1 complete, 1 with just the hand crank wheel & 1 with only the belt-drive wheel.

I still have clean-up to do on the last one & need to find another oiler as mine is snapped off.

dsh1106
    I see there is a black "holder" in the pics, is it different than the 1 on the tool?
    That "holder" was for the 410 and smaller hulls.
    Scott

Boolit Man
    Thanks, I haven't managed to find a .410 crimphead for even half of reasonable yet.
    I haven't had to load any .410's yet so it's still o.k.
    Looks like finding a "holder " will be tough though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12