Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman Roll Crimper

Boolit Master

Lyman Roll Crimper

Here is a modified roll crimper from the 50's

This powder coated with 1950's Chevy Vermillion Orange/red
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190618_195015.jpg   20190618_195019.jpg   20190618_195042.jpg   20190618_195046.jpg  
    Last edited by dsh1106; 06-23-2019 at 08:06 AM.
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I’ll take it.... PM Sent...

Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    Very nice.

I’ve given up on acquiring one of those. It appears I’m not willing to pay what they are worth. I constantly got outbid.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Buddy

What was modified?
    Was orange the original color?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Valley-Shooter View Post
    What was modified?
    Was orange the original color?
    Orange was the original color.
    The hand crank is mounted directly to the main shaft.

The original had an offset hand crank mounted above the main shaft.
    I'll post a picture later.

Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s-l1600 (1).jpg  
    Last edited by dsh1106; 06-23-2019 at 04:15 PM.
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Banned
    Scott, your photography is getting so much better. Now you need to work on your lighting. You need more fill.
    Adrama has some really inexpensive ring lights that provide an incredible amount of fill without ruining your fun money budget.

And I am like Lubdude, I have about given up finding one of those things at a price that doesn't require that I put a 2nd mortgage on the house.

Ken

Boolit Master

Thanks Ken,

My new phone has more to do with it than my skill set.

Keep an eye on the S&S section, this might show up there.....
    Scott

Boolit Grand Master
    Scott, at this rate you’re going to be the Doug Turnbull of reloading tool restorations! When will you begin accepting orphan tools to resurrect?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Froggie, most of these tools have been a work in progress for a couple of years. These older Lyman/Ideal tools are getting harder to find, and when you do the prices reflect that.

I doubt most would pay to have the restoration work performed.
    Scott

Boolit Grand Master
    Somebody said I was going at about normal speed when it took me from the early '90s until last year to gather up a set of S&W tools to load a single caliber... and I didn't even have to do any restoration work. It all takes time and patience, otherwise it would be like going to Wal*Mart and getting it off the shelf.

Congratulations on some really nice work, and I was only half joking about doing it for others. If you have the time and inclination, I'm sure there are a few people out there with the shekels to make it worth your while. If you doubt me, look at some of the prices nice old reloading items are bringing on flea-Bay as well as the gun auction sites. Somewhere on the back of the stove, well behind the back burner, there are several old tool restoration projects, but since I've retired I no longer have any time to do anything... figure that out!

All the best,
    Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    Scott,

Not to drift too far off topic, but I’ve got a question about finishes. Have you tried refinishing any of the old (shiny black) tools? Did you go with baked on powder coat there as well or did you use an enamel or lacquer based paint? How did you prep the original surface before refinishing? I have been thinking of black enamel (old school) but would certainly entertain your experiences and advice on the matter.

Regards,
    Froggie

PS In case you’re wondering, your mention of the orange PC finish on this roll crimping tool is what stimulated my Froggie brain to ask.

Boolit Master

Froggie

I powder coated these last two projects. Orange and black on the roll crimper and read on the Grand American.
    Prep work is the same as for paint, the cleaner the better.
    For the roll crimper, I soaked everything in denatured alcohol and removed all the paint. Sprayed everything down with break cleaner.
    I bead blasted all the parts for the Grand American.

I like powder coating better than painting, less clean up, quicker processing and more durable finish.
    Scott

Banned
    Mr Frog Person Sir, the old shiny black tools were japaned finished. You could try looking for a way to duplicate that. I haven't done that but I think it is possible to duplicate. And it gives a very durable finish.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Mr Frog Person Sir, the old shiny black tools were japaned finished. You could try looking for a way to duplicate that. I haven't done that but I think it is possible to duplicate. And it gives a very durable finish.
    I was afraid of that... looking at what “real” Japanning involves put fear in my Froggie heart. I’m back to the idea of a heavy coat of Testor’s gloss black model paint and call it good. It just doesn’t rise to that level of importance on my overcrowded workbench.

Thanks for the response, though.

Froggie

Boolit Master

Froggie

PM me if you need something powder coated, provided it will fit in my little PC oven, I can help you out.
    Scott

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for the kind offer, Scott. I’m not sure when I’ll be able to carve out some time to do prep work, but I’ll keep it in mind. I’ve got this orphan that has a Culver style conversion and a hole bored in the top for a funnel to return charges and refill the reservoir. Not very traditional in the end, but it looks kinda old school.

Froggie

Banned
    Mr Frog Person Sir, can you post a picture of your orphan, I am interested in what you have.
    Ken

Boolit Master
    I masked and sprayed an Ideal #1 Lubrisizer with a 96-cent Wal-Mart rattle can of Gloss Black. If there’s a difference between what it looks like and what the finish on my other #1 and my Ideal #5 Powder Measure (except for aging and battering), looks like, I can’t distinguish it.

I got the impression that the old Japanned finish was some kind of dull stove blacking with a coat of varnish on top. Gloss enamel reproduces it pretty well, IMO.

Boolit Master

When I was a young boy, my Granddad told me that the Japanned finish on older tools was one of the most durable finished made. He explained, that's why most of the older tools that had the Japanned finish still look as good as they did when the were new, unless they were really abused.
    Scott

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C-type%20M1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	244930Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C-type%20M2.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	244931Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C-type%20M3.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	244932Ask and ye shall receive, Mr Pressman! These pictures were taken a while back and were taken more to show the micrometer rotor than the #5, but you can see it's pretty rough. As best I have been able to determine, the rotor is an early example from MCRW.

Froggie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast