RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: New barrel for an Arisaka 38?

Boolit Master

New barrel for an Arisaka 38?

I have an Arisaka ttype 38 that I got pretty cheap that was purported to be 257 Roberts, It was actually a 6.5X257 Roberts which I found out before I actually bought it and was able to low ball the offer to where I was happy about it. I got the proper dies and have shot the rifle some. It has a short barrel and so is noisy and the muzzle has been butchered and a home made front sight that is too short to be able to zero the rifle has been soldered on. I like 6.5 bore rifles. I would actually like to have this rebarreled into a 22 inch long 260 Remington and I would like to improve the trigger while I am at it. All the short chamber barrels I have seen are to fit Mausers, Is there a source for short chamber barrels that would fit an Arisaka? How would I tweak the existing trigger to make it less military?
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

There's not enough demand for a barrel maker to tool up specifically for Arisaka barrels; so IMO your best bet would be to obtain a 6.5/.264" barrel blank and get it threaded for th Arisaka & chambered to .260 Rem.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod15610.aspx

Since the other issue would be feeding, I would suggest you try to feed a .260 from the Arisaka's magazine before spend $$$ on it.

If it feeds, you're GTG; if not, then additional gunsmithing would be needed to get it to feed.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

It has been worked on and made to feed the 7mm/257 roberts/mauser. so I am thinking that part might be no problem. I have 308 and 243 win brass I can try.

Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

What is the thread pitch for an arisaka? What is the thread pitch for a large ring Mauser? I see that there are short chamber barrels to fit the Mauser for less than $100 while Blanks, unchambered are about $300. The one I saw that was for a Mauser was 6.5X55 which might be close enough. And I have dies already for 6.5X55.

I LIKE IKE

The Arisaka has a bigger barrel shank than a Mauser. Also it is a coned breech in the 38. It takes some work to rebarrel an Arisaka but I definitely would and have had one done in the past. I'm fond of the ease and quietness of moving the safety to fire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Texas by God; 01-07-2020 at 01:36 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    PM sent.

Boolit Master
    Believe it or not,the 38 thread is a near exact 3/4" pipe thread........and there are people who screw a bit of water pipe into these actions and use 12 ga shells .......single shot of course,but a single shot at point blank is generally all thats needed.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Type 99 Arisaka rebarrel drill and tap pillar bed drawing d 8-2017.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	245177Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arisaka 257 recoil lug b1-22-2017.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	245178Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arisaka 257 d 3-3-2017.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	245179Click image for larger version. 

Name:	257 Roberts Arisaka 3 shots 200 yards 100gr nos bal tip oct 18 2017.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	245180

In 2017 I put a Winchester 25-06 barrel on an Arisaka and chambered for 257 Roberts. I made a recoil lug and pillars. I put a Timney trigger on [not shown]. I shot a 3 shot group at 200 yards and did not hunt with it. I made a sketch of the barrel, pillars, lug, and scope mounting.

In 2019 I hope to get another Arisaka running well in 308.

I see paypal auto charged me $20 and I can post pics again.

Boolit Master
    The T38 has an inch dimension.......1.040"x 14 tpi........from memory..........the T99 has a metric pitch ,as mentioned.......the barrels are not interchangeable.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    It takes some work to rebarrel an Arisaka but I definitely would and have.
    Did you do the work yourself, or did you have it professionally done? I am looking into getting a reproduction barrel for my Type 38 that will match my bolt and was wondering how much it might run me?

Boolit Buddy

Frkelly,
    Timney makes a most excellent trigger for the type 38 Arisaka.
    I have one and had it rebarreled with an Adam's & Bennet 6.5 barrel from Midway several years ago.
    Works like a dream. It is in 6.5X257.
    I also put a Boyd's stock on it.
    Unfortunately, the stock got broke by UPS when shipping to my gunsmith.
    It now has a Richard's semi-fancy sporter style stock and looks and shoots wonderfully.
    I would not hesitate to do it again.
    Blkpwdrbuff
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty or Safety. "
    Benjamin Franklin
    "Time to take Brandon to the train station"
    "The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." ~ Hubert H. Humphrey