Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Will this bullet be ok for BP and 7.5 barrel?

Will this bullet be ok for BP and 7.5 barrel?

I know it probably won't hold enough lube for a carbine or rifle barrel but shooting out of a 7.5 SAA barrel would it hold enough (50)Beeswax/Crisco(50) to keep the barrel lubed? I have a bunch of these and the lube is no longer good so I'm going to cook a few @ 200* to melt the blue smokeless lube and replace it with pan lubing with the BP mix. Should I only pan lube to the top of the lube groove or would it do any good to lube up to the crimping groove?

Boolit Master

I'd shoot them
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master

I'd guess you are OK, but I'd load up a few and shoot them and then check the barrel. Only your gun can truly answer that question.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    The only way you'll know is to try some and see. As you know, the purpose of BP lube is to keep the fouling soft. I'm assuming you are shooting BP argridge and not C & B . . . so try some and see. If you have a bunch of the to shoot up and you have issues . . you can always use a compressed load, use a thin card over powder and a grease cake under the Boolits.

Personally, I have used a number of different designs in 38 - my lube has always been a 1# can of Crisco mixed with 1 real beeswax toilet bowl ring. In the 38's, I usually just finger spear the lube in to the groove and seat - learned to set up a dedicated set of dies in my Lee turret press for this as the seating die will get dirty and require cleaning. Out of my 4 3/4 Uberti Bisley 3357 and the New Model Vaquero 5 1/2" that I had at the time I had no issues.

Check after a couple of cylinders full and see how your barrel looks and you can always take a cleaning rod, etc. with you to run a wet patch down the bore if necessary - my guess is you won't have a big issue though.