Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: RCBS 3 way trimmer pilots; anyone try them yet?

Boolit Master

RCBS 3 way trimmer pilots; anyone try them yet?

I just finished trimming 2500+ once fired LC %.56 brass and am now looking forward (yeah,right....) to deburring them.

I looked at a couple different websites at the three way cutter and found that RCBS now sells pilots that have the deburring cutter built in, much cheaper than the 3 way cutters for each caliber.

Just wondering if anyone has tried these and any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Boolit Master

I have never tried the RCBS Case Trimmer-2 or any of It's accessories.
    I have a RCBS Case Trimmer. To use the wide Variety of
    Accessories available I'd have to buy an entire New case trimmer set up.
    While I thought about it, Lyman brought out their New Powered Case Trimmer with a collect adjustable for just about any case head.

So I went that way. Then they came out with their Case Express. It has Five motorized stations.

I set up the Powered accessory Case Express behind the Case Trimmer. I can trim, ream&clean the primer pocket and then chamfer& deburr a case in under 30 seconds.

Or I can use the accessories that fit on a powered screwdriver, while I watch old Westerns.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    You might be looking at ebay or Optics Planet.
    As best I can tell the low priced items are only the pilot and they are using a photo of the entire assy.
    I think you would really be ticked to order thinking you will get the entire assy and only the pilot shows up.
    The wrong photo is false advertizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipefitter View Post
    I just finished trimming 2500+ once fired LC %.56 brass and am now looking forward (yeah,right....) to deburring them.

I looked at a couple different websites at the three way cutter and found that RCBS now sells pilots that have the deburring cutter built in, much cheaper than the 3 way cutters for each caliber.

Just wondering if anyone has tried these and any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
    EDG

Boolit Master

I have wondered the same question many times. Trimming and de-burring is my least favorite task. After thousands of trimming jobs on the RCBS trimmer, the cutter is dull. It is probably sharper at the 30 cal radius since most of my trimming is for 223.

I am considering:

3 -way cutter for 223 (for the vast majority of my trimming)
    Getting the carbide cutter
    Going all in on an RT1500.

Leaning toward option 3, but would love to hear anyone's experience with the 3 way cutter.

Pipefitter, I think this is the tool that you're referring to.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/14...ter-22-caliber

Lately after sizing, the 223 cases that exceed 1.76" get segregated into a stash "to be trimmed later." Shorter brass goes to the reloading mix. I don't care about uniform trim length with my mixed brass AR fodder. I have so much brass that I can keep that up for a long time.

I have an X die that I will experiment on a 200 piece lot that has been trimmed and loaded for that purpose. The problem is that the tool requires an initial trim, and my cutter is dull!
    Last edited by Taterhead; 06-22-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/14...ter-22-caliber

This is what i was looking at first^

this is what I also found and what I was asking about: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/85...fer-22-caliber

Edit: I have the RCBS trim pro 2 powered trimmer with the universal shell holder, put the carbide cutter on it when I bought it.
    Last edited by Pipefitter; 06-22-2019 at 07:56 PM.

I have a 3 way cutter and I have used it successfully. After it’s setup correctly it does a great job. I haven’t counted the number of brass that I’ve used it on but I expressed my concern about the cutter getting dull, to RCBS, and they sent me new blades.

I have a friend who let me use his Dillon trimmer. That is a thing of beauty. The trimming process was much quicker and noisier but it did leave a burr. I used my wet tumbler, with the stainless steel pins, to debur the brass and everything turned out great.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with