RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: That Box of Holsters

Mr. Love Life -- I went out to the shop and searched through the two totes full of "stuff", but found nothing for a 5 1/2" SSA. Also, although I'm sure someone makes them, I think a lined version will be hard to find. I have several lined holsters for other handguns, but they were always hard to find or special order as I recall.

Anyway, I thought you might be interested in these holsters. I got them from Midway USA. Not that long ago, maybe 6 -8 months. They are called, "Cowboy on a Budget" holsters, and on the back side they say "Made in Texas", "N", "Colt SAA", and "Vaquero" Also the barrel length.
    I think they were about $39.99. They seem like a fair product for the money. The leather could stand to be a heavier grade and the belt loop stiffer, but they're just fine for my purpose of packing around in the woods. They are not lined. They probably wouldn't stand up to much Cowboy Action Shooting, but should last quite a while for casual use.

Attachment 244084
    Click to enlarge.

So....I'm not too certain on how to proceed with implementing the idea of a holster swap meet. I think we may need some Forum Supervisorial input. Maybe the holsters should be offered and displayed in the "Swapping and Selling" section. Probably so. Then, for example, if I was to display 10 (because I think that's the item limit) holsters that I wanted to get rid of, I'm not sure where to go with it next. Maybe "open to trades and monetary offers"? If others would then subsequently add to the thread we could see what was available to swap. Should probably have a photo of both the front and back of each holster. That hits me kind of bad, because I'm already having to go back 3 years and delete photos I've posted in old threads because I'm at max storage capacity with the Forum's computer, and that would mean eliminating 20 previous photos to post 10 holsters. But, I might give it a try if others are interested and will participate.

DG, I got that 5-1/2" SA holster from you - that's why its missing..... I like where this is heading. Perhaps to S&S. Maybe list what we have and state our wants.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I wondered where it went....does it say Arvo Ojala on the backside? Anyway, it wasn't lined like Love Life wants. Yes, this could be a good thing. Within the next couple of days I'm going to take photos of some of my surplus and never-use-again stuff and post them in Swapping & Selling under "Holster Swap Meet". Like I said, I've been thinking about it some and I'll need help from others to make it work. Right at the moment there aren't any holsters that I want for myself that I don't have, so it would be hard to swap me for one of the ones that I don't want. So maybe I'll say that and put some minimal pricing on them. This could be one of those threads that goes on forever as the guys become aware of it and keep posting their wants and their surplus, but for it to work really well and be an asset to the Forum it will need some participation. And....it was all your idea!

DG

Boolit Buddy

http://jacksonleatherwork.com/ Daily carry Glock 19 for 4 or 5 years and it is still snug enough it isn't going to fall out. Has out lasted my Galco's.

BF
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

No famous Hollywood maker; it's a Hunter. I will check out what you do and follow suit, DG!

Boolit Master
    Yes sir, we all have the holster box!
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

What stopped my holster box at 2 is the decision to pocket carry exclusively. Lotsa compromises to that decision but it does make holster selection quite easy.

I never put them in a box. Instead I'd put them in milk crates (I am a part time dairy farmer). Then my wife started to demand the crates back because I was filling so many and stacking them in a closet that we were running out of bottle storage space. That's when I realized that it was ridiculous and something needed to change.

I had bought some junk. And I bought some stuff from well known makers like DeSantis, Galco, etc. I figured I just needed to level up so I cracked open the wallet and bought a custom built holster from a reputable custom maker...who made the single most disappointing holster I own. Really, this taught me something about holsters. Like ammo, you don't understand until you start making it.

So I went to Tandy leather, bought what the salesman recommended, a few books, and started to build my own hoslters. Now I look at a Galco or DeSantis and see all the cheap tricks and shortcuts they take because they cannot do what is necessary for a truly great holster...you need the EXACT GUN that it will be made for in order to wet mold it. Sometimes just a inch change in barrel length, for example, will completely alter the dynamics and use of the holster. Without the gun, your body, and making it yourself you will not understand, because words simply can't.

And you don't really know what is "best" until you use it. Bodies are different and many people seem to assume that what works for their preferred authority will work for them. The truth is body/hand shape has a lot more to do with it. Before you start to marry yourself to the ideas of some gun writer take a look at them. If they are short and stout (Elmer Keith for example) and you are short and stout you may find out it will work well for you. If they are tall and lanky with (Bill Jordan for example) and you are tall and lanky then you may find out it will work for you. If you are female all bets are off.

Banned
    I've used a lot of different holsters over the years and I will say that I learned what I liked and what I didn't like.

Some makers "fit" my needs better than others.

There are a lot of factors involved and when you SLOW DOWN and look at the differences between holsters, you can really learn a lot.
    Little things like high or low the holster rides in relation to the belt, high much forward or rearward cant the holster has, how deep the gun sits in the holster, etc.; are all important.

Holsters, like grips; are an individual thing. What works for me may not work for you.

I still favor Don Hume holsters but I know they may not work for everyone. I've owned some holsters from top name brands that were horrible - the name isn't everything. I've taken a chance on some no-name holsters and found a great rig.

There just isn't a rule.

I will say that there are some brands that I just will never buy again.

It's just part of life, you have to go through the process.

Boolit Master
    Don't remember where i got them but have about 5-6 ex-police holsters for the Beretta 92FS. I can only use one holster. Most are in decent shape except one has a busted snap. Can't sell them as no one wants them. Guess I'll give them away. Frank

Moderator Emeritus

Last year, I did some organizing/decluttering in my gun stuff storage areas. I had a few Holster boxes and I desided to get rid of as many as possible. I weeded through them all, which took a lot of time seeing what fits and what didn't, as many I had no idea what they were for, or where they came from?

I made one large box of undesired holsters, there was at least 20 of them in there, PLUS I had some other misc gun leather items I no longer wanted (like Leather ammo holders, speed clip holders, and gun belts). I brought the large box to the one gun show I work are (last fall), and thought I'd just let people dig through it and make me an offer for items. As I was setting up, another Vendor seen the box and asked how much? We discussed it a bit, and we came to a price ($20) we both could be happy with, and he took the whole box before the show even opened.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    SNIP...

So....I'm not too certain on how to proceed with implementing the idea of a holster swap meet. I think we may need some Forum Supervisorial input. Maybe the holsters should be offered and displayed in the "Swapping and Selling" section. Probably so. Then, for example, if I was to display 10 (because I think that's the item limit) holsters that I wanted to get rid of, I'm not sure where to go with it next. Maybe "open to trades and monetary offers"? If others would then subsequently add to the thread we could see what was available to swap. Should probably have a photo of both the front and back of each holster. That hits me kind of bad, because I'm already having to go back 3 years and delete photos I've posted in old threads because I'm at max storage capacity with the Forum's computer, and that would mean eliminating 20 previous photos to post 10 holsters. But, I might give it a try if others are interested and will participate.
    One option, would be using the "Team Boolits Swappin / Sellin" section. There isn't all the rules as there is in the regular S&S...but you need to be a Team Boolits member to see the posts. There currently isn't much activity there, so whether using just one Holster swap thread or many individual Holster swap posts (like PIF posts) wouldn't matter, since there isn't much activity there, nothing would get buried.

So, as my story above pointed out, I no longer have any undesired holsters, so you guys could set it up anyway you like, if I did have some I was willing to give away or Swap "one to one"...one way that could be done is have a list and/or photos and offer them for the price of shipping or in the case of a swap, each pay their own shipping...done on the honor system. I suggest this giveaway type of thing, as you can always sell holsters for any price you like, in the regular S&S section. Also, if you only want to swap and not just giveaway your holsters, you could clarify that in your individual post.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Wow, JonB -- thanks for the answer! I had even sent a PM to No. 1, and received no reply, soliciting his thoughts on a holster swap meet. I have to admit that it was beginning to fade from my consciousness.

Since it hasn't previously existed, my thoughts on what it should be and how to go about establishing it were nebulous. My problem is that I have a big box of holsters that I no longer need, and some I never did. Also, lots of related items like belts and police belt accessories.

But, also a problem, is that I currently don't need anything. So I'm not inclined to swap, but then again, you never know. So I had arrived at the conclusion that what I need to do is just sell the stuff outright, and did photograph an initial 10 items, but never got back to it.

I had thought that perhaps if I posted the 10 items on a thread and explained that it was a swap meet and that the stuff was not for outright sale, then others would post on the same thread and eventually there would be a couple of hundred items to sort through for someone wanting to obtain a particular item.

But, after much reflection, I've come to the conclusion that the best thing to do is just offer the items for sale and be done with it, because whyengender ill will by refusing to swap because you don't want or need what is being offered as a trade?

So, I think I'll just go with the standard S&S idea and offer the stuff for sale and be done with it. When I get around to it. Might even make a "Helping Hands" offer an option on some of it.

I surely do thank you for getting back to me.

DG

Moderator Emeritus

I had just seen this thread for the first time this afternoon, I rarely go into the PIT.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    I thin the box of holsters out from time to time. Generally I offer the surplus to co-workers or sell the occasional one.

Over the years I become a little better at keeping the box closer to empty than full.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 07-23-2019 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I rarely go into the PIT.
    I wish I had your wisdom. But....my visits are far less frequent than they used to be.

Those really good holsters for a gun you don't have are like loading dies. Dare you off any the the next day you will be looking to buy one because you got a killer deal said gun.

I dumped my box out last night. Now to see if I can somewhat match them to what they fit.

Now, just imagine that box of holsters when you are a custom holster maker... I hang them on the walls except the ones customers leave in my shop when they pick up a new one... those old ones get tossed in the trash as the door closes behind the customer.
    What I have noticed over the years is that many people simply don't know what they want... so they compensate by buying several different "types" until they find one that works for them.
    High ride, low ride, cant, etc. What works when one is young and lacking a spare tire doesn't when age creeps in and the body shape changes. Some designs work with crappy thin belts and others need a strong gun belt to work properly. A proper gun belt is often the most overlooked item in the "weapons system".

I try to get customers to hold the weapon exactly where they want it on their belt and take a photo, then design the holster so that is how it carries... only about 10% of my online customers bother to do that.

I just sold ten holsters quite effortlessly here on S&S.
    I'd like to be near your trash can when you're chunking leather!

Boolit Bub

Hey: Can we see some pictures of your "hand made". I do that too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4239.jpg  
    Last edited by old benn; 08-05-2019 at 11:42 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast