RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Anyone have experience with the Kel Tec SU16 in 223?

Anyone have experience with the Kel Tec SU16 in 223?

Title says it all.
    There are a few things I like about the rifle. I like the straight stock. I like it accepting AR15 magazines. I like that it comes set up with a scope base.

I have read some reviews online. Sometimes it is hard to tell who is trying to sell them or if you are getting the truth.
    Any experiences would be appreciated.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    How much are they asking for one where you are?

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    How much are they asking for one where you are?
    I don't know yet. A "local" gun shop had one on the wall but no price tag. I didn't ask about the price because I was there for something else.
    Been thinking about it since.

Boolit Bub
    I have the SU-16C model with the folding stock. My only complaint is the fore stock bi-pod arrangement. It is a finger pincher for sure. No failure to feed or fire in almost 1000 rounds. Reasonable but not great accuracy as it heats up. Mine wears a Vortex Sparc II red dot and is quite fun to shoot although the serrations on the relatively small butt stock are irritating in light weight summer clothing.

Boolit Master

Tazman,

Look up Nutnfancy on Youtube. He is a huge Keltec fan and doesn't **.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Boolit Bub
    I also have a SU-16C model. Great gun for what it is meant to be. It is not an AR but it is light, plenty accurate for its purpose, and very handy. I replaced the bipod with a Red Lion handguard and am very pleased with that arrangement.

I have one and like it.

Mine has some changes:
    Added a MCCARBO trigger (nicer than the stock plastic one) and trigger spring kit. About $35 worth of parts.
    Did the 'AK spring mod' on the bipod which improved it greatly (much more stable). About a $5 part.

The gun is reliable, plenty accurate, compact, and fun to shoot. And in states (e.g., CA) that don't like pistol grips, it is considered 'featureless' which is beneficial.

I would recommend it, particularly if you want something a little different to a standard AR.

Taz: I have had a SU16 CA for about 10 years now. it is my favorite Carbine, compared to My AR,SCR, and Mini14

Mine has a Bushnell TRS 25 mounted on it and it also has the much better M4 Fore end that Kel Tec makes for the gun. IMHO the stock fore end/bipod sucks.

My gun is very accurate and the few things I've done to it, enhance it's handling even more. If you're really interested I'll go into them.

If I had to pick a gun to run with, this would be it. I can hit a man sized target at 200-300 yards off a rest with mine with just the Red Dot Sight with every single shot. It has a Chrome Lined Barrel and will eat anything I put into it. My gun weighs in at 6.0 lbs with 2 loaded mags in the butt stock, and it runs great with Magpul Mags and handles best with 20 rounders. It will run with any AR type magazine.

When folded in half it fits in all of my backpacks.

These guns are well worth the price as long as it's below $600. I got mine barely used for $400 from a gun shop that didn't know what it was, it should have been more like $600. They are available in Black, Tan or OD Green as well.

I do recommend getting a SU16 CA model as it has the best sights of all the models. Only the "C" model can be fired when folded. All the rest must be unfolded to fire, and like the guy above said these are considered "Featureless" for California users.

You get AR firepower, light weight, better than AR reliability, and under the AR Radar so "Beto" won't come and get it!

I can't recommend these guns enough, and for a Back Pack or Bug Out Gun or 3 Gun gun they are well above most others available. Don't let the plastic fool you all the stuff that matters is top notch steel.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Now, that was a very interesting review. Thanks for posting. You may have just made me go looking for one.