Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cabbage steaks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 2011redrider View Post
    This reminds me of a you tube on the late Steve Hall's, Shotgun Red channel. Haven't had time to try it yet, but, looks good.

https://youtu.be/yB10tnzHGXE
    Thanks for sharing...Shotgun Red seems to be a great guy...fun video.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Thanks for sharing...Shotgun Red seems to be a great guy...fun video.
    Too bad he passed away last year. His wife or GF not sure which is continuing the channel, but, not close to what it was. Not sure how I stumbled on his channel, but, it was good while it lasted. Ha has some old ones from the Ralph Emery days too!

Boolit Master
    redneck1 I really have to thank you for the idea! I never would have thought of cabbage steaks on my own! I cooked some on the grill tonight. Bacon and some seasoning and boy were they good!!!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy
    Funny , I saw this post and thought healthy food , bacon , three sticks of butter covered in cheeses ....I'm thinking a ribeye has less cholesterol......

Boolit Master

Sounds Fantastic.

Wish I could still eat cabbage.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Banned
    I made cabbage again tonight. I eat it 3 to 4 times a week. I tried many of the ways suggested here. I like the fact that many are quick and easy. The way I usually cook it is to saute it with strips of carrots, onions, garlic, grated ginger, toasted sesame oil, and regular vegetable oil. Spices and cook it in a frying pan. Y U M

ok I have to say something.

once done cooking. plate garnish throw it in the trash where it belongs. and then fry you up a beef/ venison steak.

buahaha

nah it sounds good.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Reminds me of rouladen. We've got a real nice cabbage crop going this year.

Banned
    Well, ever the courageous one, I decided to ignore the fact that a cabbage is (ugh) a vegetable and decided to try out this recipe. It's certainly proof that with enough butter, spice, and melted cheese just about anything can be made palatable, To be fair, I think it needed cooking for a lot longer than 40 minutes, perhaps 80 or 100 minutes, for my cooker at least. The cabbage at time of eating was tough to cut. It might be worth having another go though.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by UKShootist View Post
    Well, ever the courageous one, I decided to ignore the fact that a cabbage is (ugh) a vegetable and decided to try out this recipe. It's certainly proof that with enough butter, spice, and melted cheese just about anything can be made palatable, To be fair, I think it needed cooking for a lot longer than 40 minutes, perhaps 80 or 100 minutes, for my cooker at least. The cabbage at time of eating was tough to cut. It might be worth having another go though.
    Yeah, my buddy always said, with enough cheese on it, you can get a kid to eat anything. He fed his kids vegetables all the time, with the veggies swimming in cheese. Me, I was raised on veggies and love them. Especially cabbage. Only veggie I don't care for is Brussel Sprouts. Will eat them, but don't enjoy them. I eat plenty of meat, but love me some veggies. I know lots of people were raised meat and potato kind of people. Fine with me. Just pass me the veggies you don't care for.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Moderator Emeritus

Core brussels sprouts, stuff with ground bacon and seasoning of choice, bake core end up or place on the smoker and cook until tender.

Boolit Master

Thank you, MaryB for the recipe/suggestion. I'll give it a try. Little cabbages always taste pretty bitter to me.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Going to have to give it a whirl. My purple cabbage never grow worth a darn this year. I have six about the size of a softball to pick and try. I watched shotgun red do pickled fish this summer before I did my Northern pike. He’s like the SvenGooley of the cooking world.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-30-2019 at 06:40 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    ok I have to say something.

once done cooking. plate garnish throw it in the trash where it belongs. and then fry you up a beef/ venison steak.

buahaha

nah it sounds good.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I'll pm you my address and you can ship me a couple hundred lbs of venison. Then I won't eat so much cabbage.

I picked two of my purple cabbage plants today to give it a try. The cabbage heads weren’t much bigger than my fist. I cut them up into 6 steaks. Put olive oil on them along with melted butter to fill in the folds. I sprinkled with paprika,black pepper, and just a hair of garlic salt. I baked at 350 for a half an hour and then I added mozzarella cheese in pieces of bacon I pre-cooked and baked for another 10 minutes. The cheese didn’t get brown and bubbly so I bumped the heat up to 375 for a few minutes. I made them for myself and my relatives as an appetizer and needless to say we didn’t eat dinner.lol they filled us up. I’ll be making more of these.

Boolit Bub
    Can't say i've ever heard of cabbage stakes, but it certainly sounds worth a try!

I had four purple cabbage left the size of my fist I plucked the garden a few weeks ago. I just cut one up and had to try it again. This time I smeared some refrigerated bacon grease On both sides and skipped the paprika. All I did was pour a little virgin olive oil on top of them after smearing with bacon grease. I then sprinkle a little garlic salt and onion powder on them and baked for a half an hour. After a half an hour I add cheese and bacon and baked for five minutes. The Cabbage was really small so it was very tender. It tasted way better than round one! This was the biggest thickest piece which was maybe about 3 1/2 inches in diameter at the most the rest were really thinly cut and maybe two 2 1/2 inches around probably why they were more tender.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NBraun View Post
    Can't say i've ever heard of cabbage stakes, but it certainly sounds worth a try!
    I too had never heard of such a thing, but I do like cabbage so I'll give it a try some time. Sounds good.

Boolit Master

O, my triglyceride levels!

You know I have to say I never made these until I saw this post and boy it sure is a good and different change on my taste buds. I guess there’s more to cabbage than coleslaw and boiled dinner.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast