Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a grail gun for me today, at a great price!

Boolit Master

Found a grail gun for me today, at a great price!

Today stopped at one of my favorite gunshops, 2 hours away, when going to a docs appointment. I found a Remington 121 Fieldmaster .22 pump sitting there. I nearly did not pick it up and look at the price, because they usually go between $500-600, in decent condition. This one had most of the blue, except where it was pumped, and about 80% on the whole gun, which is pretty good for a gun this old. It is a takedown of course. The barrel looked as new when I dropped a bore light down it. The pump forehand was plain but pretty walnut, the butt stock had a lot of curl and strip in it. The wood had been refinished, but a great job was done on it.The metal checkered butt plate still fit nicely. I finally picked it up, and turned over the price tag, and it read $325, and after some haggling, I got it for $300 out the door, came home and the tiny sights were dead on at 25-50 yds, to say I am a happy camper is an understatement!

Boolit Master
    My holy grail would be an m1 Garand or an M1 Carbine. But alas definitely not in my price range or probably will ever be in my price range!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

300 for a pump 22 awesome deal. You did good.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    You did very well! A good deal is always welcome, but 121s are special! You have reminded me that I have been neglecting mine. Hasn’t been out for squirrel in a couple years. Enjoy you prize!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Congrats on the 121! My Grail .22 is a Remington 12C pump with the octagon barrel and crescent buttplate.
    Maybe someday!

Boolit Master
    I got a call from a friend that he saw “an old pump 22” in a gun shop. After a bit we decided it was a 12 and I went to buy it. Heart broken, the poor thing was incomplete, rusted bore, broken stock... and priced at TOO Much$$$ Hated to leave it but some are beyond help.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I inherited a beater Model 12 that sat unused for 50 - 60 years or more but it was in very rough shape overall.
    It looked like it had gone through the civil war.
    It was missing the firing pin and some other internal parts, the magazine tube was attached with wire, the wood was from a Winchester pump and did not fit the gun,
    the chamber was peened partially closed from shucking and dry firing it so many times as a kid.
    Then my brother sanded all of the finish off with rough sandpaper which left some gouges in the metal.
    But at least the bore was pristine.
    I met a home gunsmith online from Texas who was a Model 12 fan who offered to fix it up for me, even though I didn't know everything that was wrong with it.
    He ended up fixing her up with some new parts, a hot blue job, replacement wood and front sight, and he fixed the chamber too.
    It shoots pretty good even though the action will still have a hiccup once in a while.
    But because it came from my dad, it was a joy to be able to shoot it with my kid.
    Knowing what it had looked like growing up and then to see it transformed into a working gun made me appreciate what a caring gunsmith can do.
    He really tried to make everything right with it
    I had bought another Model 12 at a gun show for a reasonable price that shucked and looked really fine, but the bore was rough.
    So I ended up selling that one and using the money to fix up the old girl which cost about $300 more or less at the time.
    Even the Model 12 with the rough bore shot okay, but you can't keep them all.
    I hope that you enjoy your grail gun as much as I enjoy mine.
    Last edited by arcticap; 06-21-2019 at 02:02 AM.

Boolit Master
    I think I gave around $700 for my 121 about 10 years ago, but boy are they nice! I know where there is a12C as described that looks like it was just unwrapped from the factory! The saying of "they just don't make em like that anymore" couldn't be applied to anything better than a 121 Remington pump!

Boolit Master

Well done, well done
    and thank you for bringing back memories
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Banned
    Remember what they cost new?

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I have wanted a ppk for as long as i can remember. Not the new ppk/s but an original ppk in 32acp. I would prefer one without nazi markings. But my wallet says no so i can still dream.

Boolit Master

Awesome!!!

I fulfilled a long time Grail late last month. A Savage 24 357/20ga.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I am mine!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I always say to myself, "That's the last one. There aren't any more that I want." But....another comes along......

My boy bought a Rem 12 at a yard sale a couple weeks ago for $20. The gun is complete and not much blue or finish left on wood. Wood is sound but various dings and nicks. Octagon barrel with good bore. The problem is the rifle is so loose in the TD section of action you can actually feel it "hinge" I looked at it and can't tell if it was from excessive wear or gun was dropped or something to cause this. I think only way to save it is to find a basket case with a good reciever and transfer all his parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    My boy bought a Rem 12 at a yard sale a couple weeks ago for $20. The gun is complete and not much blue or finish left on wood. Wood is sound but various dings and nicks. Octagon barrel with good bore. The problem is the rifle is so loose in the TD section of action you can actually feel it "hinge" I looked at it and can't tell if it was from excessive wear or gun was dropped or something to cause this. I think only way to save it is to find a basket case with a good reciever and transfer all his parts.
    Maybe some metal can be soldered, brazed or welded into the receiver and then fitted to help tighten it up.
    I would not want to toss the receiver without trying to fix it, unless you just happen to find a donor receiver.
    But a receiver may be harder to find with all of the other replacement parts that are available to fix them up with.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticap View Post
    Maybe some metal can be soldered, brazed or welded into the receiver and then fitted to help tighten it up.
    I would not want to toss the receiver without trying to fix it, unless you just happen to find a donor receiver.
    But a receiver may be harder to find with all of the other replacement parts that are available to fix them up with.
    I may try to redrill reciever and make or fit a bigger take down screw to it. With screw tight as you can get it there is still flop. A few years back I had a 12 oct barrel that was complete junk but had a good reciever and bolt
    assembly. I got in clean up mode and sold several parts guns. As usual soon as you let things like that go you end up needing them yourself. I would rather find another clunk than drill it. I have found most of the TDs get loose from either using TD a lot or not keeping TD screw tight.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I may try to redrill reciever and make or fit a bigger take down screw to it. With screw tight as you can get it there is still flop. A few years back I had a 12 oct barrel that was complete junk but had a good reciever and bolt
    assembly. I got in clean up mode and sold several parts guns. As usual soon as you let things like that go you end up needing them yourself. I would rather find another clunk than drill it. I have found most of the TDs get loose from either using TD a lot or not keeping TD screw tight.
    Go to Harbor Freight and get a cheap set of feeler gages, and find the size that will
    shim the takedown bolt to tighten the barrel to the reciever. I have a take down No. 4
    that was loose, I cut the feeler gage into small pieces and played around till I found
    the right thickness, then superglued the shim to the take down pin. Once inserted in
    the barrel/ reciever bore it tightened it right up. It took a little force to get the take
    down pin turned , but it is tight now with no movement. But I don't dare take it down
    now that it is repaired. Might work for your model 12 as well. Worth a try.

For $20 it's an amazing find.
    Your son did real good by finding it.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticap View Post
    For $20 it's an amazing find.
    Your son did real good by finding it.
    Not really, this is a rural area and quite often you can pick up basket cases dirt cheap. The rafters in my basement are full of 22s and single barrel shotguns. All broke or missing parts, all bought dirt cheap. I just buy them for parts. They are worth more as parts than functioning guns. Until the internet the auctions I went to up in northern part of the state was a good place to by parts guns. They went on line and those $15 parts guns are now $150, more if it's a Winchester.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I used to buy gun stores broken and worn out guns for little or nothing fix them up and i still have some that turned out to be a nice gun. I think i would buy any gun for $20 anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast