Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything

Thread: Hot Green Tomato Relish

Boolit Master

Unhappy Hot Green Tomato Relish

This is an old recipe that my Dad came up with back in the 60's. Some call it Pickalilli, a relish or chow-chow. I'll stay with relish. It has a distinctive taste because of the All Spice. You can always leave it out or replace it with some spice you would rather have. It's also a sweet n sour taste to it also. A buddy of mine in high school used to come over and get 2 pieces of bread, slather on some mayo, and then use about a half cup of this on it to make a sandwich. He couldn't get enough of it. The heat creeps on you--you first taste the relish and you think, "This is pretty mild." Then it starts and kinda grows. Not overwhelming--I call it a good burn.
    As you can see in the photo, the recipe makes about 6 pints.(When I get the photo to upload! Finally! ) I got 8-1/2 pints plus 2 pints. This is a wet mix, btw, kinda soupy. Goes good on greens or just about anything. I had 2 sausage links for lunch with mustard and this on the bread. Yummy!!

Dad’s Hot Relish

About 5 large jalapenos
    ½ small head Cabbage (or quarter of large head)
    1 whole garlic with all cloves
    2 large onions
    2 pound green tomatoes
    1 pound tomatillos
    About 3 large carrots
    ¼ cup salt
    2 tablespoon ground allspice
    ½ cup sugar
    3 cups apple cider vinegar
    2 cups of water

You can either grind the vegetables or use a food processor. You will end up with finely minced mix. I put a piece of cheese cloth in the bottom of a colander and let it drain—Tomatoes, tomatillos and onions. I did the cabbage separately and also the carrots and garlic. Put salt, sugar, vinegar and water in a large pan and bring to a boil. Add vegetables and stir. Boil for 20-30 minutes. Place in clean jars and do a hot water bath for 15 minutes.

Attachment 243911
    Last edited by gbrown; 06-20-2019 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Additional info
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Buddy
    Boy I love chow-chow and piccalilli and this looks like a cross between those two and chutney. I will be making this one when the summer crops come in. You could probably substitute zuchinni for the cabbage or just add some as I always have zuchinni running out of my ears. I don't care for allspice and that is alot of allspice, but the rest of the recipe looks awesome. I bet using some curry powder instead of allspice would be interesting. 1/4 cup of salt means canning salt correct? Thanks for sharing gbrown!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Got it wrote down sounds great

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Oily View Post
    Boy I love chow-chow and piccalilli and this looks like a cross between those two and chutney. I will be making this one when the summer crops come in. You could probably substitute zuchinni for the cabbage or just add some as I always have zuchinni running out of my ears. I don't care for allspice and that is alot of allspice, but the rest of the recipe looks awesome. I bet using some curry powder instead of allspice would be interesting. 1/4 cup of salt means canning salt correct? Thanks for sharing gbrown!!!
    You know, we all have different tastes and such. I've switched up plenty of stuff in recipes to my tastes. It's a vegetable style chow-chow, relish/picadilli. Anything you could put in it would probably be delish. I'm not sure about the curry powder, it's not something I care for. I'm thinking more like thyme, basil, sage, etc., whatever you like.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

Got worried the other day, as I have already eaten 3/4 of a pint of this. I could eat it on ice cream! Had it on cabbage, broccoli, moussaka, eggs and some more. Got some more green tomatoes and tomitilla and got after it. Wow. This is good, in my taste. hopefully, I have a year's worth.