RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oversize chamber

Banner Sponsor

A +1 on the tape around the base to center the case while fireforming.
    On expanding the mouth. Just fire form it instead of using expanders. Put 5-8gns of a fast powder in the bottom of the case, cover with a piece of tissue paper packed tight, then fill with cream of wheat or grits and add another tissue plug on top tamped in tight. Then chamber and fire. It will expand the neck without any problems. I've done this with 30-30 brass to make 375Win brass and ended up with a longer case than trying to use a series of expanders. I also lost several cases trying to expand that far, but none fireforming.
    Just make sure that your barrel is at least 18" long if you are calling it a shotgun. I would have the barrel marked 410 2 1/2", or similar designating it a 410 shotgun.
    Should be similar to the 12ga from hell project. It uses brass cases loaded to a much higher pressure, but is still legally considered a 12ga shotgun by the ATF because it will still chamber and fire any 12ga round.

And hold the rifle vertical while fire forming. Holding horizontal has the potential of lop-sided cases, couldn't believe the difference between horizontal and vertical when fire forming 38-55's from 30-30's.

It does make your yard look sort of festive from the tissue paper confetti, though.

Boolit Buddy
    You mentioned that this will be built on a bolt action. That action is what, ultimately, will define what you are building. Is the action from a rifle? If so, then you are building a rifle that CAN shoot (though you admit to having no intent to do so regularly) a .410 shotshell.

Basically, it sounds like you are really trying to shoot a rifle in a shotgun only area, and if caught have a way out of the ticket.
    Last edited by cpaspr; 06-23-2019 at 12:02 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm building it on a Savage 110 action. Savage makes same action, slightly modified for both 20 gauge and 12 gauge. They are rifled barrel slug guns. They call them the 220 and 212. Essentially I'm building a Savage 267. The two reasons I'm not sold on a Savage 220 (20 gauge), is 1. It has no throat, and 2. I would not be able to use brass cases without buying custom from RMC brass. You could buy a bunch of the factory ammo for $5 per shot, and one of the loads is bound to shoot 2-3" at 100 yards at best. That's not worth it to me for the price they gouge people.

If a shotgun built on a bolt action is illegal or somehow immoral, then there are a LOT of people in the wrong. After that, should we drag the even more popular Thompson Center Encore "pistol" with 15" barrel chambered in 30-06, 7mm-08, or one of the many other bottle neck rifle cases. All completely legal in MN.

Thank you for the tip about the tape, and holding level when fire forming. I think I have all I need to form cases now. Or at least enough to get started and screw it up.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 06-23-2019 at 05:36 PM.

Banner Sponsor

I was going to suggest 405 Win brass as it's already about 2.5" long, but it appears that it's no longer available most places. I'm glad I bought a bunch when I got my rifle a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I'm building it on a Savage 110 action. Savage makes same action, slightly modified for both 20 gauge and 12 gauge. They are rifled barrel slug guns. They call them the 220 and 212. Essentially I'm building a Savage 267. The two reasons I'm not sold on a Savage 220 (20 gauge), is 1. It has no throat, and 2. I would not be able to use brass cases without buying custom from RMC brass. You could buy a bunch of the factory ammo for $5 per shot, and one of the loads is bound to shoot 2-3" at 100 yards at best. That's not worth it to me for the price they gouge people.

If a shotgun built on a bolt action is illegal or somehow immoral, then there are a LOT of people in the wrong. After that, should we drag the even more popular Thompson Center Encore "pistol" with 15" barrel chambered in 30-06, 7mm-08, or one of the many other bottle neck rifle cases. All completely legal in MN.

Thank you for the tip about the tape, and holding level when fire forming. I think I have all I need to form cases now. Or at least enough to get started and screw it up.
    I do it while holding the rifle vertical. I don't seem to get lopsided cases.

Hello Megasupermagnum,

Please keep us posted on this project.
    I had always thought of a 410 Lever with rifling cut,
    should shoot about a .430 bullet with a Brass Hull.

Thanks, AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Mold
    There used to be 12 bore rifles in the olden days. Read about them in the Double Gun Journal. Fully rifled SXS. I figure that so long as your gun is marked .410 Shotgun you should be good to go.

Boolit Buddy
    For what its worth, I have a scratch built sharps borchardt on my bench now that went in your direction. I purchased a blank from Les Bauska in .405 Win., the bore is .412, I tried to compromise between the .410 and the.405 by rimming 06 brass and fire forming, by polishing the chamber to fit, I'm now fitting a 45-70 barrel to it and chalking it all up to experience. It fired the .410 okay but the rest wasn't worth the effort. Thanks for listening.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    Why not put the buggy in front of the horse?

Why not cut the chamber to fit the 9,3 cases perfect and then have a small handfull of .410 shells that you size while loaded so they fit your chamber?
    I would not suggest this.
    I have heard of too many stories where a hunter has a plugged magazine, will only hold the correct number of rounds that the hunter is using.
    But the game warden carries their special shorter rounds and uses those to check the gun.
    And the warden can fit in one more round.
    My buddy got lucky and only got a warning for it.

Stories usually involve a warden everyone knows the reputation of, and dislikes, even other game wardens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12