RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scrubbing a leaded bore

shooting a few powder coated boolits Nope.
    Whatever!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Mercury was one of my favorite toys as a kid. Used to just watch it roll around in my hands. Hit it and watch the pieces rejoin into the main mass. All before I knew it would kill you......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    You must be as mad as a hatter.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Mercury was one of my favorite toys as a kid. Used to just watch it roll around in my hands. Hit it and watch the pieces rejoin into the main mass. All before I knew it would kill you......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    My first 22LR Toz,a single shot,came with some explosive russian varmint ammo. There was mercury in the HP:s, causing an explosive effect.

That was early 70's and they were completely legal, I was stupid enough shoot them all.i

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    If you have access to an old copper screen, cut a patch from the copper and push that down the barrel. It does a wonderful job of pulling the lead out of the barrel. You can usually find scraps of lead sticking to it.
    Smoking pipe brass screens. Really cheap. Jag+patch+ screen is very similar to the lewis gizmo
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WheelgunConvert View Post
    Smoking pipe brass screens. Really cheap. Jag+patch+ screen is very similar to the lewis gizmo
    found these on Amazon and Walmart
    going to give them a try
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    Another method used: Fire brushing.

Use a cigar lighter, small butane pencil torch or for larger calibers, a propane torch. Run a flame up the bore for 5 seconds then brush, and patch with solvent. Repeat as needed. You can hold bbl in your hand because it doesn't get hot. It's the heat flux (temperature difference) through the lead deposit that breaks it all free. As to why you're getting leading thats another topic. In 22s some bullets brands are undersize, especially high speed. Inadequate lube, rapid rate of fire, etc. Soft alloy isn't an issue in pistols unless velocity is excessive. Regards

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    aka choreboy. great stuff

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I was recommended on here choreboy a bought a couple boxes from ace hardware when I first started casting a couple years ago and I’m happy to say I’ve never had to use it thanks to all the helpful members here leading me in the proper ways to slug my bore and size my boolits correctly...along with tumble coating PCing...also learned here...GREAT SITE...and group of guys and gals here!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelgunConvert View Post
    just tried this on my own (thought i was a genius) but ... this is really a great way to get lead out, easier than the lewis tool in my oppinion since you just pick up the screen and replace it (so unscrewing/screwing)

just watch out for copper plated steel pads. at the dollar store and wallmart.

they say copper but its copper plated.

steel will scratch the barrel wich is will you need copper. that will scratch the lead but not the barrel.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sv44 View Post
    just tried this on my own (thought i was a genius) but ... this is really a great way to get lead out, easier than the lewis tool in my oppinion since you just pick up the screen and replace it (so unscrewing/screwing)
    Brass pipe screens are da bomb. If you're using thin patches or have an oversize bore, 9mm cough cough, using two patches under the pipe screen can really make a difference.
    NRA Benefactor.

Banned
    The copper (actually bronze) coated steel stuff is what I used to clean a heavily leaded 22lr barrel. Worked like a charm.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    The copper (actually bronze) coated steel stuff is what I used to clean a heavily leaded 22lr barrel. Worked like a charm.
    Ya need to be really careful with .22 lr barrels as most of them are made from some pretty soft steel. Soft as not even on the Rockwall scale.
    NRA Benefactor.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Ya need to be really careful with .22 lr barrels as most of them are made from some pretty soft steel. Soft as not even on the Rockwall scale.
    Yes, I did it on an old Remington 514 that my brother gave me. He used it for rat shot in the garage for the last 30 years. There was so much lead in it you could not see the rifling. It wasn't until I started to try and clean it that the rifling started showing up. It took so much time to get the lead out I kept getting more and more aggressive with techniques. Ended up with the bronze coated steel pot scrubbers. They worked much much better than anything else. I was curious as to how much bore I scrubbed out with it. I guess I will have to slug the bore now. I figured if I opened up the bore a little I could use the barrel for 22 WMR instead. It shoots well enough for what I do though.

Banned
    I just slugged the bore:
    Grooves =.2205" Lands= .2170"
    The rifling definitely looks fainter than what it would new. But don't know if those numbers are way out of spec?

Boolit Bub
    Ed's Red will do it if regular cast bullet solvent on hand does not do the job.

Boolit Buddy

On topic question, wasn’t using cream of wheat supposed to clean up a lead fouled barrel?
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123