Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scrubbing a leaded bore

Boolit Buddy

Scrubbing a leaded bore

I have a collection of old American Rifleman magazines and was flipping through the October 1958 issue looking for something else when I came across this. I thought maybe some here might find it interesting, and evidence that there is nothing new under the sun:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --BattleRife

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, there some "new and improved" stuff around that ain't really new, just hasn't been talked about for a while...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

aka choreboy. great stuff

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Used to be a guy that traded under something like "Frontier Forty Five", that sold a non-steel chore boy product. Softer on the bore. I've used it and it's good for heavy leading. Normally I use "Lead Away" cloth as a patch with Kroil / Ed's Red / PB Blaster, etc. Also good for the face of revolver cylinders, et al.

Boolit Grand Master

Big 45 Frontier metal and bore cleaner. I bought a bag of it couple years ago, it will rub off the rust but not harm the bluing on your favorite gun, worked good.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks, swheeler. --that's the stuff I remember.

Boolit Master
    I think this is one of the best tools i have bought since getting into casting bullets.https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...prod21587.aspx I did the choreboy thing and everything else i could think of.If chorboy works for you great.If not give the Lewis Lead Remover a try.

I was talking to the RO at the range this weekend and he said he takes a brass brush on a rod and puts it on a drill and just runs it up and down the bore. I've got a barrel that is heavily leaded due to pushing lead a bit too hard. I was working on it with a brush with chore boy but I've put in about 2 hours on it and it is much better but still has some lead... Was thinking of doing the drill thing...
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    I shudder when someone mentions a brush chucked up in a power drill and cleaning rifling in the same sentence. IMO a brush powered and rotating across rifling is not just less effective but down right damaging. It is ineffective because the bristles are moving at a right angle to the lands and grooves leaving shadowed zones because there will be significant areas of the groove skipped over. The damage comes from the cleaning rod rubbing /scrapping across the lands and top edges of the grooves.

In my experience Copper Chore Boy fitted onto a tight enough brush passing longitudinally up and down the barrel (with the lands and grooves) along with a general or better solvent is as good as it gets ..... run by hand.

I like Lewis Lead Remover for forcing cones and Chore Boy gets the nod and is rotated on a solid rod in chambers, again run by hand.

My .02 worth

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    I was talking to the RO at the range this weekend and he said he takes a brass brush on a rod and puts it on a drill and just runs it up and down the bore. I've got a barrel that is heavily leaded due to pushing lead a bit too hard. I was working on it with a brush with chore boy but I've put in about 2 hours on it and it is much better but still has some lead... Was thinking of doing the drill thing...
    Viniger and peroxide 50/50. Plug one end of the bore, carefully fill the bore. Give it 10 to 20 minutes. Dump it out and rinse the bore with plain water, dry ( heat gun , hair dryer etc). Then a couple shots with a bronze brush. Repeat as needed, the whole process that is. Then clean and oil as usual. NOTE: THIS IS FOR SEVERELY LEADED BORE! Oh almost forgot, if ya get it on anything else besides the bore, clean it off right away. Never seen it happen but I imagine if left on for some period of time. It might discolor some stuff
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Didn't Elmer Keith plug the barrel of his rifle and use ammonia?

I prefer Kroil. But I finally found out how not to get leading. It took 55 years, but I think I finally got it!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Banned

I have to wonder what people are doing to get that kind of leading. I never get any serious leading and just about all I shoot is cast. Size and lube appropriately and don't get stupid with velocity = no leading.

Vinegar? Ammonia? Spinning a brush on an electric drill through a rifle bore? All these sound like good methods to ruin a barrel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    Viniger and peroxide 50/50. Plug one end of the bore, carefully fill the bore. Give it 10 to 20 minutes. Dump it out and rinse the bore with plain water, dry ( heat gun , hair dryer etc). Then a couple shots with a bronze brush. Repeat as needed, the whole process that is. Then clean and oil as usual. NOTE: THIS IS FOR SEVERELY LEADED BORE! Oh almost forgot, if ya get it on anything else besides the bore, clean it off right away. Never seen it happen but I imagine if left on for some period of time. It might discolor some stuff
    This is known as The Dip. Very easy and effective but should be used with STAINLESS only.

Before anyone mentions "you get lead acetate", yes you do but yo don't need to touch it. Compared to lead exposure during "scrubbing" with all the patches,oil etc... just use common sense.

Boolit Bub
    Take a patch on a jag large enough that you have to tap it through the barrel,soak the patch with turpentine. You'll be amazed at the amount of lead that comes out. FWIW--Mike.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 25ring View Post
    Take a patch on a jag large enough that you have to tap it through the barrel,soak the patch with turpentine. You'll be amazed at the amount of lead that comes out. FWIW--Mike.
    Ed's Red.

Boolit Grand Master

I've tried a bunch of different methods to remove lead (and worked hard to learn how to prevent it). My latest method is a soak with Kroil, 24 hours or so, and the "chore boy scrub" method. Tough leading I also use a Lewis Lead Remover. A warning; if you choose to try the hydrogen peroxide/vinegar method, be very careful and don't leave the solution in the barrel for more than just an hour, or less. I "forgot" my Dan Wesson 44 Mag had some of this solution in the barrel and didn't rinse it out for mebbe 12 hrs. My gun now had a lightly pitted barrel...

A bronze/brass brush is much softer than a gun barrel so using one in a drill won't do any damage, if used "thoughtfully" and sparingly (but I don't see any advantage to turn a brush in the barrel). There is also a possibility of the muzzle being damaged bu a turning shaft (I have heard of muzzles being worn from soppy use of a cleaning rod rubbing against the crown). Of course this isn't a good idea as eventually the rifling will be "dulled". sharp, clean edges worn down/off. I would not do it...
    Last edited by mdi; 06-22-2019 at 11:22 AM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Tommy Bish recommended mercury in the bore.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    Didn't Elmer Keith plug the barrel of his rifle and use ammonia?

I prefer Kroil. But I finally found out how not to get leading. It took 55 years, but I think I finally got it!
    Ammonia works on copper, not lead.

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Tommy Bish recommended mercury in the bore.
    I wish I had kept that quart of mercury I had years ago. The price of the stuff now is scary.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    This is known as The Dip. Very easy and effective but should be used with STAINLESS only.

Before anyone mentions "you get lead acetate", yes you do but yo don't need to touch it. Compared to lead exposure during "scrubbing" with all the patches,oil etc... just use common sense.
    Notice I did say be very careful and wipe off anything bu the bore. No problem with a blued barrel as long as the solution stays in the bore and on nothing else! I actually had I had forgotten all about it. I’ve only had to use it once on a weapon and that was a Polish P 64. Couple weeks back I asked on the forum best way to clean a lead pipe and I was reminded of this 50-50 solution which worked amazingly well!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Ammonia works on copper, not lead.

Ok. it was a long time ago when I read that. Chemicals slow my mind some....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast