Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Does anyone have a Marlin 1895CBA?

Boolit Master

Does anyone have a Marlin 1895CBA?

So these little rifles have caught my eye.
    I know Remlin has been making leaps and bounds on their quality control and producing some decent rifles.
    I have an early 2000 Marlin that was made into almost this same configuration but it’s a 16.5” barrel.
    I know it’s blasphemy but I’m thinking of selling off my JM and buying one of the new rifles.
    Mine being a convert isn’t the same exact config as the CBA which I really like a lot better.
    Anyone have a CBA or held on and can tell me anything about them?
    Thanks for looking!

I've got a octagon barrel Marlin CB in .45-70 from 2003.
    I can't remember the barrel length, but its the long version with a full length magazine tube.

The only issue I've had is that it kicks so hard,
    It took me awhile to figure out which end is more dangerous than the other.

But its great, good accuracy, I couldn't ask it to function any better, and I just like the longer barrel.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Well, you certainly should not sell that JM marlin. You won't ever be able to replace it, unless at a high price.
    That said, I also really like the CBA, based on my experience with my new Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .45 Colt. The tapered octagon barrel (common to both) seems just as light as a round barrel, perhaps because of the exceptional handling qualities of these. They were certainly popular back in the 19th century.
    And, you are right about the quality control. I never thought that I would buy a Remlin, but after carefully inspecting mine, I was very impressed. The sights were straight, the dovetailed sights were properly installed, the wood was well-fitted, the screw heads were perfect, everything was fine.
    Internally, it was also well-made. No problems at all. Functioning was perfect.
    And the Marbles sights are both traditional and classy.
    With American Eagle .45 Colt, I am grouping around 1 1/2" at 50 yards so far, with my poor old eyes squinting over a fuzzy sight picture. (bore slugged at .452") So an inch group at this range would seem the norm. I would expect that the CBA will do as well or better. They come with a normal .457" bore normally which is what you want.

My only concern with the CBA is that the barrel is only 18 1/2" long. That makes for a nice carbine, and it does look good. Just like the 1894 Cowboy.
    But, traditionally the original 1895 Marlin (which had a larger receiver) was made with a 22" barrel if it was a saddle ring carbine, as was the Winchester 1886 saddle ring carbine.
    When you consider that it is a traditional .45-70, this just seems appropriate.
    On the other hand, the 1895CB has a 26" barrel which just looks too long, even though it is the correct traditional factory length for this rifle.
    I guess that what I'm saying is that I think that they should have produced the CBA with a 20" barrel, similar to the 336 .30-30 carbine that shares the same size receiver. 20" just seems best.

One thing that you may not like about the newer Marlins is that they all seem to have a rather heavy trigger pull. Crisp, but a little too heavy compared to JM Marlins.
    Last edited by Prairie Cowboy; 06-19-2019 at 11:57 PM.

Boolit Master

The Original Marlin Cowboys had 24" Octagon bbl's.

I know I shot the first one the Marlin R & D Toolroom made at END of TRAIL 1994, It's Barrel was full length Octagon. My First Production Copy in the First Caliber made; .45Colt has a full Octagonal barrel.
    When the Full Production geared up the switch was made to the tapered Octagonal barrels, the other calibers were added.
    .44Mag
    .357Mag
    .44-40

Within the first year people began cutting them down to 20inches.
    Marlin also brought out a couple of Special Editions.

A .44-40 with an Engraved Reciever, Color Case-hardened by Uberti. With a Curved Brass Buttplate.

And a 2nd Edition .45Colt with a 20inch barrel that was so Popular that Marlin decided to produce all 1894CB's with 20" bbl's. The .44-40 Caliber was dropped at this time.

You can't get a 24"bbl'd Rifle anymore. The remaining stock didn't the Remington move.

But the Balance of the Tapered 24" Barrel is Superior to the 20" bbl by far.
    Most people disagree with me.

The Uberti 73's with the reworked short stroke kits, Aluminum Cartridge Lifters and all the little gamer tricks. Have made them the darling of all the gamer's, even shortening the Barrels to 18 1/2". The Minimum length to accept 10 .38spl cartridges.

It's a shame the middle-late 1990's Marlin's were Great Guns. Ballard Rifling, Straight Stock, 24" Barreled 336's in .30-30 and .38-55.

I've had over a 1000rds of .45-70 thru My First Production 1895CB. Added only a Lyman Tang & New front sight and a Recoil Pad, covered by a full-length leather butt cover.

I don't know if I treat my Marlins differently then other folks, but I've NEVER experienced the so called "dreaded MARLIN jam".
    And I SLAM the Lever HARD.

And now I've lost track of the thread and probably HI-Jacked it too.

Sorry. I do run on sometimes.

Sorry
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

The tapered octagon barrel does have exceptional balance.
    I own a standard round barreled Marlin 1894 in .44 Magnum, and a .45 Colt Cowboy.
    The Cowboy easily has better balance yet it doesn't seem any heavier despite what must be a heavier barrel. When you aim it offhand it hardly moves around at all compared to the round barrel.
    With the thinner fore end, the plain shotgun butt plate, and the lack of a barrel band at the muzzle, it's just a better handling and more accurate rifle in my opinion. And better looking.
    I also read a comment elsewhere where someone with an 1895 Marlin said that he hardly noticed the extra length and weight of the 26" barrel.

Boolit Master

I have one of the "new" 1895 CB's, a shorty, points like my finger, well balanced, finish is good even though I don't care for the high gloss barrel. Accurate, I've shot mid power loads and recoil is what you would expect in a light rifle. I did not care for the long barrel version.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve got a CBA when it was a special run and not a regular item. Other than rounded instead of sharp octagonal flats, it’s an awesome shooter. Classic look with the ability to be a quick pointer. One of my favorite plinking 45/70 rifles.

Boolit Master

YES it os foolish talk to sell a “JM” in favor if a new one.

Save a but longer and have both. Or sell off other things and buy and own BOTH.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw