Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Sight making

Banned

Sight making

Let me preface by saying that I shamelessly stole this idea from another member here with his permission.

So I have two martini Henry rifles , one shoots to the sights pretty well , the other ... it's a solid foot to the right of the sights .
    One day last year , maybe twoyears ago I've lost track .
    I seen a thread where a fellow made his own sight to take care of the problem .
    I thought to myself hey that's a pretty darn simple idea so I made one after asking for permission to copy his .

Well some mistakes were made , first one was I didn't take into account that I am left handed .
    As you can see in the picture , that's a big issue .
    Attachment 243832

The sight staff is right where my hand needs to be to reach the trigger. ... yea huge mistake . One I should have caught first off .
    Not after I had already finished the thing .

The next mistake was on engraving the verneer scale , not a huge mistake was made , the lines just turned out a little crooked .
    Unfortunately the scale doesn't show that great in the pic .
    I'm also not happy with the eye piece . I just need to do something aesthetically.
    Attachment 243834

I think I've worked out a fix for the first problem , I raised the base up higher along with shortening up the staff a tiny bit so when it's at its lowest point it doesn't interfere with my grip .
    Please excuse the confusion on the base , I decided that it was just as easy to make it big enough for two tries in case I screwed up and I have cut it in half yet or removed the excess from the block I machined it from . I also haven't cut the staff to lenght either .
    Attachment 243835
    Attachment 243836

One thing I haven't decided yet is what to do with the eye piece ..
    Or how to properly engrave a scale .

I've also learned that the guy I copied this from was a much better machinist then I am . He also did a better job thinking things threw .
    Being as his worked

Im sure you can get it to work ok. It still looks good.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master

Looking forward to seeing your progress, well done
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Banned
    I'm hoping to get a few hours on it this evening , to many started and unfinished projects
    A few of us gather the weekend before the fourth of July and do some longer range shooting I'm hoping to have something useable before then .

Boolit Bub
    I silver braze a piece of HSS tool bit to a 3/8" round stock, grind a fine point, set it up in the mill and use the quill as a means to broach the markings on my sight staffs, bases, and blocks. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	graver 1.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	244079Click image for larger version. 

Name:	graver 3.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	244080Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190504_093541.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	244081Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190504_101032.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	244082
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190428_101229.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	244083

Banned
    That's a pretty darn good idea , thank you

I have things nearly finished , after dinner I'm going to clean up some rough edges and take some pics

Boolit Master
    I made a side mount for a Rawson SMLE sight ,that I saved from selling my old SMLE range rifle......Didnt use any machines,even tho I have them,everything was made with an 4" angle grinder and file.......The thread at the front of the Martini is just 1/4" Whit,or UNC,if you like.........and a longer screw replaces the extractor pivot,and sticks out enough to thread on a side piece.......then replace the block pivot with 1/4" bolt,and bobs yer uncle......Incidentally,the Rawson is similar to a Central sight,but mounts on a bevel ,not in slots,on a sideplate..You dont have much space on a Martini,too far back hits your thumb,too far forward obstructs the loading..........If you look on a Martini forum,there are plenty of turn of the century ideas for aperature sights on a Martini,without any drilling.

That's way cool.

When I try to make something that detailed and precise- it looks it was done with a rock and a hatchet.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    That's way cool.

When I try to make something that detailed and precise- it looks it was done with a rock and a hatchet.
    Me to , I don’t have the knowledge skills or tools .
    I really admire the skills we see here.

Banned
    You'll have to forgive me for not getting back sooner , but I have made progress .

So I think I've figured out what I want now that i have the second Version at a useable stage . I shot a few rounds with it last weekend
    And for the most part I'm happy except for physical size so I'm going to make things a bit more refined and a wee bit smaller .

Attachment 244739
    Attachment 244740
    Attachment 244741

Boolit Master

Williams 5-D is how I solved the problem, cheap and the markings are already there. A target shot with those sights at 100yd.
    You can install the target knobs if you want easier adjustment.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pics General 010.jpg   75 Sharps.jpg  
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!