Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First experience with Swiss

Anybody who switches from a BP like Goex, to the hotter burning Swiss, is well advised to reduce their charge(s) by 10% to avoid issues.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

Not to be argumentative, but is there any actual proof that equal volumes of powder of Swiss produces more pressure than Goex besides a boost in velocity?

Mr.megasupermagnum, you have a point. I dont think the pressures are anymore higher to the point that you have to take precautions. Its still pure black powder...its not a sub. You only really have to reduce your loads if your still wanting to get the same speed/velocities as you would with "weaker" powders such as Goex original, wano, KIK, etc. Swiss is just using better charcoal and pays more attention to detail in their manufacturing such as making sure the grains are matching in size and not so many "fines", polishing the grains a bit etc.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOutlawKid View Post
    Mr.megasupermagnum, you have a point. I dont think the pressures are anymore higher to the point that you have to take precautions. Its still pure black powder...its not a sub. You only really have to reduce your loads if your still wanting to get the same speed/velocities as you would with "weaker" powders such as Goex original, wano, KIK, etc. Swiss is just using better charcoal and pays more attention to detail in their manufacturing such as making sure the grains are matching in size and not so many "fines", polishing the grains a bit etc.
    I believe it was Sam Fadalas book - tests of Curtiss and Harveys powder against GoEx same velocity achieved but heavier charges of the C&H to get it - lower measures pressure though - long time ago maybe I am dreaming ?

Banned
    This is the best group I was able to get at 50 yards with the 3fg swiss.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100-0258.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	244337

I tried from 100 yards and the accuracy was just to poor for that distance. A couple days later I took out some old 2fg gearhart owen powder, 80gr volume and put 3 shots well under 2" at 100 yards! That help settle my nerves! I thought my rifle was going belly up LOL. All the covered holes are from swiss 3fg at 100 yards. Terrible!

So when it comes hunting season, the gearhart owen will be the winner.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	65279710.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	244338

This is wild! First time to hear of Swiss being poorer in foul and accuracy! Never never never heard even a hint of this before.

I use Ol E now exclusively from regular GOEX. Ol E is superlative powder to the GOEX in power, cleanliness and consistency.

I have never used Swiss so have no dog in that fight ... however ... as stated above, this is the absolute first time hearing about Swiss being "dirty" powder ... and NEVER heard of it being second rate to GOEX! Wonder if it is a bad batch ... or ... if it is contaminated ... or ... if Swiss has changed their powder recipe.

Banned
    Swiss emailed back. I find it hard to believe that 3 different brands of guns hate swiss powder? Especially when they all shoot different projectiles. There's no way I would be able to hunt big game with the charges listed below.

"Good Morning,

I shoot that same lot with a .45 caliber and I don’t have any issues with grouping. It just could be that your rifle doesn’t like that powder. I do have a rifle that doesn’t like Swiss powder at all. I have one, that will only shoot Swiss and I have one that will shoot anything I put down the barrel. Rifles are just like people I have figured out.

When shooting this Swiss with my .45 caliber, at 25 yds I am shooting about 20 grains, 50 yds, it’s 30 grains, and 100 it’s 40 grains. My grouping off a bench is about 1.2-1.5”, at 100 yds. Off hand, I get about a 3” group (I am not very steady) But I can shoot pretty tight groups closer in off-hand. My last time out I shot a group off hand under .75” with the same lot of powder that you are having issues with."

I guess if I want real accuracy, I'd have to shoot some real wimpy loads and have my ball bounce off deer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12