Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First experience with Swiss

Banned

First experience with Swiss

At the rendezvous ( Santa Fe Trail Rendezvous ) one of my lube dealers showed up with a tent full of muzzleloader supplies and what did he have with him? Swiss of course! He had single 1lb cans and then pulled out a kilo ( 2.2lbs ) of 3fg swiss for $42! I ended up buying 2 of them.

I got excellent accuracy, even during the booshway shoot, until I hit 173 yards and the ol fifty ran outta steam

It's no where near as clean as folks claim. With a greased patch, 4 shots and she was getting real sticky down near the breech. My buddies great plains rifle experienced the same fouling as well, so we switched to a tester bottle of Buckskinners patch lube ( water based ) I had on hand. After that, loading was not an issue.

Very pleased with the powder and especially the price. I'll shoot it mostly for hunting, but do plan to run it over the chronograph.

Yesterday I went out to my new 100 yard bench and sat down with my Traditions St.Louis Hawken.

Accuracy was horrible! Im talking a 17" target and that sucker was all over the place.

Then I remembered that it was doing this at rendezvous on a trail walk when targets were only 20 - 30 yards away and missing by a foot.

I went and bought the swiss and changed out the knight red hot to a tresco nipple. Everything was fine. I figured the Pyrodex P I was shooting at the time, was bad.

It's the friggin knight red hot nipple that was the cause of the piss poor accuracy!

I changed it out on the range today and shot a 4" group right off the bat.

70gr 3fg swiss is pretty hot and shredding my .020" patches, so I changed targets and dropped the charge down to 60gr 3fg swiss.

100 yard results. The bullseye is 3" diameter just to give you an idea on group size.

Next time out I will set up an orange bullseye on brown paper, so its a little easier to see. I have a german silver front sight and that white back ground made for some real iffy aimining.

Thats a pretty good price for a kilo. Have you ever tried old eynsford? If so...how do you feel it compares? Also why do you think the red hot nipple gave you bad accuracy? Was it worn out etc?

Banned
    Yes I shot OE before it even hit the market. Much cleaner burning and never had an issue with sticky fouling down at the breech.

The red hot nipple was brand new. Im not sure what they did on this one, but even with my normal pyrodex p load, accuracy was horrid. This brand of nipple has always been my go to nipple for accuracy and consistent ignition, but it seems like the one I bought was a bad egg. I plan on ordering another 1 or 2 and recheck accuracy and see whats going on.

Mr.frontiermuzzleloading, did you mean the OE was much cleaner burning and doesnt leave sticky fouling than swiss...or that swiss is cleaner and doesnt leave sticky fouling as u experienced with OE? Sorry i read into things and sometimes confuse myself . Haha. I make my own bp, but if i buy any then i buy OE and ive only tried swiss a few times but long ago before i really got into bp and dont recall much as far as comparing it goes. Although i really like OE as its clean burning and ive never had stickyness...although i have had sticky fouling from pyrodex.

Banned
    That is correct. OE shot much cleaner and didnt leave behind the sticky fouling at the breech. Even goex shoots cleaner in my rifles. I may try a musket cap with swiss and see if that helps tame the crud at the breech. The seller said he has the same issue with swiss in all his rifles, yet his wifes 45 shoots is without issue. Go figure.

Hmm yeah that is very strange. You would think swiss was cleaner or as clean etc. I guess changing the primer would be the logical next step in solving the issue.

Boolit Bub
    I shoot Swiss in my TC 54 Hawken with Maxi-balls and it does quite well. Little stronger kick than Goex.

We pay $130 a kilo down under for black powder, so well done !!
    Keep yor hoss well shod an' yo powda dry !

$130 american or Aussie bux? I make mine because i even think about $20 for OE is a bit much...so $130 for a little over 2 pounds is rediculous

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOutlawKid View Post
    $130 american or Aussie bux? I make mine because i even think about $20 for OE is a bit much...so $130 for a little over 2 pounds is rediculous
    All this makes an ole skeptic like me wonder whether all the hype about Swiss was mostly ..............hype????
    Still shootin goex 5FA that i hoarded twenty odd years ago cuz I suspected this might happen

Banned
    I think the hype comes from cartridge shooters.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    yeah Im one of those too --- if yr in Europe and the choice is Wano or Swiss then I guess its (Swiss) a no brainer at the prices they see.

Indian_joe...what variety of brands are available for black powder and subs in Australia? Harder to come by or easily available?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOutlawKid View Post
    Indian_joe...what variety of brands are available for black powder and subs in Australia? Harder to come by or easily available?
    wano LGS $130/kg,wano other LGS $120/kg,wano $80something/kg if ya drive to Sydney to pick it up, Swiss was around a year or so ago at about 50% markup over wano - have not seen or heard of it recent - if you had the connections and wanted it Chinee fireworks powder (or whatever the commercial pyro guys are using) might be possible at about half wano price (maybe) - that was the fallback position last time there was a supply glitch.

Subs --- no interest -- see some blokes with pyrodex still

Availability ?? yeah plenty Wano around (by our standards)

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    I think the hype comes from the international competition shooters who compete in the MLAIC world championship matches.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I haven’t tried it yet. I’m in Europe and the price seems to be coming more in line with other European powders. Maybe they are lowering their price or the others are raising theirs. None the less the best shooters prefer it!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I haven’t tried it yet. I’m in Europe and the price seems to be coming more in line with other European powders. Maybe they are lowering their price or the others are raising theirs.

None the less the best shooters prefer it!
    yeah they do - but theres a bit of a psychology among a lot of those fellers that says "if I spend more money I will shoot a better score " sometimes works - sometimes no

Banned
    It must have been the super hot water that I used to clean the rifle the last time. Now shes shooting consistent and without having a major issue with crud in the breech area.

5 shots late this evening from 50 yards. No, its not what I would normally settle for, BUT, shes on target and did not even have to swab the bore this time around.

I'll flush again with hot water, flush multiple times and hopefully she'll be ready for 100 yards in the next couple of days.

Im only hunting a buck this year and 75 yards would be a long shot in the area, but I still like to shoot for the tiniest group possible to help eliminate errors in the field.

Mr.Frontiermuzzleloading...i have seen your rifle on THR forum...i love the look of its brasswork and the stain. I know you did the brasswork yourself...but What make and model is the rifle?

Banned
    its a traditions st louis hawken.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast