RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: What parent brass can be used for the 11mm mauser case

Boolit Master

What parent brass can be used for the 11mm mauser case

Was wondering what parent case can be used to for the 11mm Mauser case for the German models 71 and 71/84, Thanks Frank

With a bit of effort it can be made out of belted magnum cases such as .300 Win Mag ... far better than paying Bertram $80 per box of 20 for low quality brass that often splits on first firing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0E_Hly-uE0
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

The handloaders manual of cartridge conversions by Donnelly lists 11.15x60R Mauser, and my research shows that as what you're looking for. It says make from 11mm "a" base (Bell) case, and doesn't list any other sources.

Boolit Master
    Rev Al - Like the video!! Thanks for sharing.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the video. Very informative.

Boolit Master
    the video makes it interesting done in real time, thanks for sharing it with us.

Boolit Grand Master
    45-100 brass. I headspace on what little shoulder there is. Tried mag brass once, that was enough. I just ran the 45-100 brass thru the size die until the bolt would just close with effort. They worked fine.

Boolit Master
    I make them from 300 Win mag by turning down the belt, beveling the rim, sizing the case in the sizing die, trimming to length, fire forming and then loading. I add a C clip to the recess in front of the rim so the extractor will pull the case from the chamber. You have to orient the case so the extractor will grip the C clip. After shooting I remove the C clip and use the 300 Win mag shell holder to CAREFULLY, because the remaining rim is very thin, resize the case. Not the best solution but works for practice ammo.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Grand Master

Al thanks for the link, great informative video.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    .45-90 comes out to the right length for my 71/84. Rim will have to be lathe turned for whatever they call that relief cut on the end. OD may or may not have to be turned. One of mine needs OD turned, the other does not. Lee dies work for sizing, but I made my own expanding/belling die. (It's nice to have a lathe) Mold is Lyman 446110 over 20 gr. 5744 with Dacron filler.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master
    Thanks all. With the demise of captech/jamison brass and not wanting to buy the brass made in Australia there was little or no info on how to make brass for the 11mm mauser. Thanks again,Frank

I find the 45-90 works good with light loads but gets quite a bulge with full house 2F loads. the 300 win mag works very well as long as you slowly form it to "headspace" on the shoulder.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master
    Thanks again, no shortage of folks who have been there and done that. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    I make them from 300 Win mag by turning down the belt, beveling the rim, sizing the case in the sizing die, trimming to length, fire forming and then loading. I add a C clip to the recess in front of the rim so the extractor will pull the case from the chamber. You have to orient the case so the extractor will grip the C clip. After shooting I remove the C clip and use the 300 Win mag shell holder to CAREFULLY, because the remaining rim is very thin, resize the case. Not the best solution but works for practice ammo.
    Instead of removing the C clip, try using an RCBS #22 shell holder, I'm fooling around with converting 300 win mag brass to .43 Spanish and the #22 shell holder works for me.

Tried the Lee shell holder that came with the .43 Spanish dies, wouldn't fit on my correct brass or my homebrewed brass.

Boolit Buddy
    45-90 or 45-70 if you don't mind them being a bit short. my 71/84 carbine shoots them both well, but unfortunately not to the same point of aim.

Boolit Master
    Is Bell brass still in operation??. I thought they went out of business years ago. Or is this new old stock?. Frank

Boolit Master
    Lots of information, right here on site: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...er-11mm-Mauser