Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Barrel length

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Barrel length

Talking about accuracy, is length more important in a smooth bore BP gun than in a rifled muzzle loader or cartridge gun? I know a lot of old military flintlocks where long, but always thought that was so the second line of shooters could shoot past the first.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    As with any other gun, a longer barrel will give a longer sighting plane. My main smoothbore is a 42", and one of my most accurate rifles is 44". I have shot very short barrel guns that were plenty accurate, if you could get a good sight of the target. The difference isn't so much the inherent accuracy of the barrel, as is the competence of the man behind the trigger.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    As with any other gun, a longer barrel will give a longer sighting plane. My main smoothbore is a 42", and one of my most accurate rifles is 44". I have shot very short barrel guns that were plenty accurate, if you could get a good sight of the target. The difference isn't so much the inherent accuracy of the barrel, as is the competence of the man behind the trigger.
    wot he sez == all of it

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I was thinking there might be a difference in the flight of the ball. I didn’t think about the advantage in sighting. That’s a good point. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    One of the reasons for the very long barrels of the early muskets and rifles was the quality of the available gunpowder. The longer barrels provided a more complete burn for widely varying blackpowder. Sight radius was also a benefit. I longer heavier rifle or musket also makes a much better handle for a bayonet when the battle got that point.