Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig P320 - M17 - M18 Dominates

Banned

Sig P320 - M17 - M18 Dominates

All branches of the military have now adopted the M17 and M18
    More and more law enforcement entities are doing the same
    I have a .45 ACP P320
    Love that gun
    See Hickok45 reviews of the three modular P320 9mm varients for more information
    Reports from military are glowing
    All the bugs worked out
    Just a fantastic striker-fire pistol
    As good as, or better than any other striker-fired pistol.

U.S. Marine Corps Adoption of M18 Underscores Success of SIG SAUER MHS Program

NEWINGTON, N.H. –-(Ammoland.com)- SIG SAUER, Inc. is honored to announce that the United States Marine Corps (USMC) is set to adopt the M18, the compact variant of the U.S. Army’s Modular Handgun System (MHS), as their official duty pistol.

“The Marine Corps announcement to put the M18 in service with the Marines is a very exciting development for SIG SAUER, and a true testament to the success of the MHS program,” began Ron Cohen, President & CEO, SIG SAUER, Inc. “The Marine’s procurement of the M18 brings the adoption of our Modular Handgun System full circle, as this means, beginning in 2020, either the M17 or the M18 will be officially in service with every branch of the U.S. Military.”

The M18 is a 9mm, striker-fired pistol featuring a coyote-tan PVD coated stainless steel slide with black controls. The pistol is equipped with SIGLITE front night sights and removable night sight rear plate, and manual safety.

Recently, the M18 successfully completed a MHS Material Reliability Test that consisted of firing three M18 pistols to 12,000 rounds each for a total of 36,000 rounds in accordance with the MHS requirements. Comparatively, the U.S. Army’s legacy pistol was only tested to 5,000 rounds making the test duration for the M18 pistol 2.4 times greater than that of the legacy pistol. In this testing, the M18 experienced zero stoppages despite being allowed up to twelve stoppages. Additionally, the M18 passed a parts interchange test, and met stringent accuracy and dispersion requirements.

“The success of the MHS program is the direct result of the indisputable performance and superior quality of the M17 and M18 pistols, and the commitment and dedication of the men and women of SIG SAUER to those that serve in the defense of freedom,” continued Cohen. “We are very proud, and humbled, to have earned the trust of every branch of the U.S. Military through their acceptance of the MHS program and adoption of the M17 and M18 pistols.”

Currently, the M17 and M18 are in service with the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard. The USMC will begin their acquisition of the M18 pistol in 2020.

Boolit Buddy
    Buying my 1st p320x5 was the 2nd worst gun buying decision I've ever made. My worst was buying a 2nd one thinking the first one's barrel was faulty.

Unfortunately for me their resale value is in the toilet too.

Banned

I guess those in favor of the P320 are just lucky
    Last edited by jmort; 06-18-2019 at 11:38 PM.

Boolit Master

I like them. I went to the Sig P320 armorer school and realized how simple it was constructed, while being robust and durable. They are accurate as well.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    I'm glad they finally got all the bugs out of it. I was purchasing when they were still in the redesign phase. I did not like the interim design at all. Bought an HK instead and am very happy with it. Second choice was the Springfield XDM.

PS I didn't like the military choice of the Beretta either. Just because the military picks it does not mean it is the best, or even second or third best.

Banned

Hickok45's opinion counts for much with me.
    I agree with him, based on my experience, and in his opinion, it is as good as any pistol you can buy. He compared it to an HK and favored the P320.
    It is nice we all have a lot of good choices.
    I have had 12 XDs including XD-Ms and the P320 is better in every way in my opinion. There is nothing the XDs can do better in my experience.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    I like them. I went to the Sig P320 armorer school and realized how simple it was constructed, while being robust and durable. They are accurate as well.
    I would really like to take the course.
    I like the modular design and the different frames you can just drop the serialized "gun" module into.
    In the fullness of time we will see what is what.

Boolit Buddy
    What do they cover in the course? Taking them apart is pretty easy. I put a gray guns trigger kit in it which strips it all the way down.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    I guess those in favor of the P320 are just lucky
    Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. No issues with my RX Compact.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080967.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	243784

Winelover

Boolit Buddy
    It's an x5 thing. The chambers are unsupported compared to other p320's.

With certain headstamp brass I am getting case bulges almost everytime. I've made a thread here about it before. I bought a 2nd x5 because I figured the barrel was faulty and being in Australia it was going to be months for warranty help. The 2nd gun did the same thing.

These are same loads Ive been using for 5 years or so in other guns with no issue.

The same headstamp brass is A ok shooting 170pf in my open gun.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dansedgli View Post
    What do they cover in the course? Taking them apart is pretty easy. I put a gray guns trigger kit in it which strips it all the way down.
    It is a complete tear down (many times) and trouble shooting, design features, modularity aspects of the design, what to look out for, function testing, parts replacement etc. Great course and great instructor.

The instructor showed a picture of his gun at the 50,000 round mark and it hadn't been cleaned. Still running strong (FILTHY however). I think he said he finally cleaned it at 65,000 and replaced a spring. That was it. They are a neat gun.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Can someone explain how to identify the current version when buying?

Banned

If you go on the Sig website they have everything you need to know
    Short video which makes it super simple
    I checked out my .45 ACP and it is old style
    Grayguns has the video linked as well
    Their competition triggers, too light for me, are pretty cool
    I am not sure I will send it in for the fix
    Kind of like the original Blackhawks with no transfer bar safety
    They are worth more unaltered in dangerous state
    No, my Sig will never be worth more, but the "upgrade" is optional
    It is not a mandatory recall as it passed all safety tests
    I may send it in some day

I got a full sized P320 CPO in 40SW and am amazed at how well it feels and shoots. Excellent trigger. Completely impressed especially for a striker fired gun.

I had the P320 compact in 45acp. The pistol fit well, but I did not like the bore axis. A 1911 or the M&P45 are a lot more controllable for me. It did carry well, and the friend that has my old P320 likes it a lot. It did feed every boolit and bullet I tried in it, as well as any factory load. For that, it was great.

Boolit Master

I got the P320 subcompact model as a replacement for my officer model 45. The compactness and weight savings were my primary reason for choosing this model. It carries much better than my 45, especially during the summer when I wear shorts and a tee shirt.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    The instructor showed a picture of his gun at the 50,000 round mark and it hadn't been cleaned. Still running strong (FILTHY however). I think he said he finally cleaned it at 65,000 and replaced a spring. That was it.
    Keep trying

30 years of use and abuse, as of 2017, a Glock 17 with 365K rounds and still going strong:
    https://www.personaldefenseworld.com...-torture-test/

Several Glocks with over 250K rounds:
    https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/wh...uctor.1705673/

Not here to start a Ford vs. Chevy argument.
    To each his own.
    Some people are fans, some are not
    Last edited by edp2k; 06-20-2019 at 01:12 PM.

Banned

That is impressive
    I like my Glocks
    I love my P320
    My sweet-spot is DA/SA hammer pistols with decockers
    Just got an FN FNX-45 Tactical
    We are just getting aquainted, but I feel a crush coming on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53420-DEFAULT-l.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	243877
    Last edited by jmort; 06-20-2019 at 01:16 PM.

Boolit Master

Big Sig fanboy here particularly the classic line, especially the folded slide pistol & the 556 series, but couldn't care less for their polymer line...if I want a poly gun, there's others than are battle-tested...
    Bought a SP2022 when they got out as better version of the 2340...traded it for a loss...

Boolit Master
    With all the different mfgs out there it is just amazing that we have so many highly accurate and reliable pistols to choose from. I don't think you can make a bad choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast