Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stopped at a new shooting range today - won't be going back . . . .

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

Stopped at a new shooting range today - won't be going back . . . .

This has been discussed before and don't mean to beat a dead horse . . . but

My wife and I moved to a condo in ton a couple of years ago - hard to leave the hose we lived on for the past 45 or so years on the farm - I had a 50 yard range out back where I could shoot both pistol and rifle so miss it after the house was sold. A couple off years ago, in the city near us (15 miles away) a sign went up on a building that a indoor shooting range was coming . . . it's on the way to where we get our dogs groomed so we kept our eyes open, thinking it would open "soon".

"Soon" was about a year and a half later - they had a website but all it kept saying was "coming soon" - had a place to sign up for their e-mail list - signed up twice but never got a thing from them announcing their opening, information or anything else. Hmmmmm . . . .

When we got back from AZ this spring, they finally opened. Again, no e-mails announcing opening, rates, info, etc.

Today, we had the dogs to the groomers and when we went to pick thump this afternoon, we had a few minutes to kill so my wife pulled in to the range parking lot so I could go in and see what it was, get rates, etc. One care in the parking lot. The outside looks nice, nice canopy over their door with their name on it and when I went inside, they have a showroom that's pretty decent size - lot's of ARs on the wall and glass display counters with an over abundance of semi-autos - neither my cup of tea but hey, everyone likes different things. There was a lady behind the counter, I told her I was stopping in to see what their facility was like and to get information on rates, etc. Her reply was . . . "a list of our rates is over there on the wall" . . . not real helpful. I stepped over and a young man came out . . . we got to talking and I told him why I had stopped in. I should mention that these two were most likely "employees". I told him I'd like to know what things they had to offer . . . no one was there to shoot and neither offered to show me the range room. I told him I was glad they were open finally as I had been waiting as I thought it would make a good place to come shoot. His reply . . . "we have a website . . . you can go there to sign up for our e-mail list". Ahhhh . . . "I've down that . . . twice . .. . and never received anything." His reply . . . "Oh". After a few minutes, I discovered he was a kid that went through the school my wife used to teach at . . . one of those who was usually the topic of conversation in the teacher's lounge for bad behavior . . . but hey . . kids grow up and he seemed like a decent kid.

We talked a little more and I told him that I cast and reload and was glad they were open as I enjoyed shooting my vintage revolvers. His reply, "We don't allow reloads to be shot here . . . they are dangerous . . and we don't allow lead either. You have to shoot jacketed bullets." Huh?

Now I realize that they want to sell the ammo but c'mon. I then explained that I couldn't shoot jacketed as I shoot a '51 Colt open top Richards and Mason conversion as well as a vintage 1910 Colt Army Special and my vintage Smith M & P revolver . . . and that I would only shoot lead in them as that was what was intended to be shot in them. He didn't have a clue as to what I was even talking about. O..K. He's young . . . .

I politely thanked them and then said that I wouldn't be back and would let others I know that they couldn't shoot there either due to what they normally shoot. Now I realize that these two were most likely employees . . . but grossly undertrained ones at best. No offer to show me around so I could see their shooting area, etc. and the comment about reloads being "dangerous" sot of made me feel like I was probably shooting with one foot in the grave with what I shoot. I quickly scanned their rate sheet and saw that they give a $2.00 discount to L.E., First Responders and Veterans. I asked if they also gave the discount to retired L.E. and F.D. since I am a retired fireman . . . ahhhh . . . "no". Again, hug? Now the $2.00 discount isn't going to make me or break me but I was surprised when he came back with "no". Any other indoor range that I have shot at in AZ always give a discount as a means of showing appreciation . . . which I appreciate as they always ask everyone . . "are you active or retired LE., F.D., Veteran, etc. and I certainly don't expect a discount but it is nice of them to offer it. Not so at this range . . .O.K. . . . you have to make a profit to keep your doors open.

After explaining to the young man that I only shoot lead anomy reloads due to the revolvers I shoot, he turns around and asks me if I'm going to want to rent a lane.

My reply . . . "Thanks for your time but I won't be coming back . . . and tell your boss that he really needs to "rethink" a few of his restrictions as he is turning business away." I politely thanked them again for their time and left.

Am I ticked and P.O.'d? No . . . but after waiting for what seemed a long time for them to open I was kind looking forward to maybe having a decent indoor range to go shoot at. But it's their business and they can run it as they please I guess. Funny thing though . . . my area is about 30 miles form the Republik of Ann Arbor . . . and a really nice indoor range opened up there a year or so ago. When my wife and I were in the area, we stopped in and they gave us a nice tour of the facility, answered any question I had and they have no problem with lead or reloads as they realize a lot of folks shoot SA revolvers or vintage ones that were designed for lead . . in fact, they went out of their way to make me feel welcome and even offered a "special" the first time so you could see if you liked their facility . . which I'm sure would be a great place to shoot. The folks that worked there are very knowledgeable and if one didn't know something, they had another one who could answer the question - i.e. some were AR shooters, some SA shooters, etc. Both my wife and I were talking that it was a breath of fresh air to find such a place in a town that is pretty much "tipped left".

When I walked out of the range we stopped at today . . . I guess I was not only feeling "old" but maybe a bit "old fashioned" that I reloaded, cast and shot vintage revolvers . . . the city it is in has always been a "working man's city" . . . but I almost felt like I was a "deplorable". Oh well, I'll find another place to shoot. LOL

Banned

I hate indoor ranges. Absolutely despise them. They are geared towards mall ninjas. Broke down and took my dad to one because it was in a town I was new to and figured I'd try it. Actually, they were better than most, but I still don't like being treated like a mall ninja. They did look at my ammo, which was cast gallery loads for a Krag and were OK with it, so there's that, I think they were checking for AP stuff.

Bottom line, I'd brave some really nasty elements to shoot outside on a real range. Fortunately, I can shoot on my own place and they recently opened a good outdoor range near Dad for when I go there now.

Boolit Master
    I can’t see how that place can survive with those attitudes.

When an indoor range opened up here, they too said no to lead and reloads. They ended up changing that policy within a few months.

Then, a few months later, they realized a sales opportunity by allowing reloads; they started selling reloading equipment. And then they realized they could up their profits more by selling range brass to those reloaders.

There’s a big difference between a businessman and just an owner.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I guess i am very lucky the range i use is only 5 minutes away outdoors but still under a roof to keep off the elements. I wish we had a longer range than 100 yards but you can't have everything. There is a pistol range 7 to 15 yards a 25 yard range 50 yrd range 100 yrd and 100 yrd competition range there is also a trap range. And everything is just a quick ride away. I also have a 25 ft range upstairs for pellet gun and primer only hand guns. I am a very lazy person.

Super Moderator

I don't care much for indoor ranges either, at least the only one in my town. They allow cast and reloads, but the lighting is terrible. I went once, and haven't been back. The ranges that don't allow cast or reloads will only lose out in the long run, most every avid shooter I know is also a reloader. The ranges can set their own rules though, so there you have it. They'll lose business as witnessed above.

I greatly prefer outdoor, but the closest range is 40 minutes away so I struggle to get there more than once a month. A nice indoor range opened 5 minutes from the house. You can bet I will be there multiple times a month. They don't care if you shoot cast and reloads, either. Sometimes you make do with what you have available.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master
    I haven't been to the indoor range in Columbus in a while. They did change the ventilator system, which is nice. I can shoot any handgun rounds that I want in my firearms, but if I want to rent one of their handguns I gotta shoot factory loads.

Mostly I'd go there, shoot maybe 50- 100 rounds and sweep the floor and collect brass, as 99% of it was once fired, and they rather appreciated that I'd save them from having to work so much!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I'm not a fan of indoor ranges either, but that is about the only option near where I'm currently living during the week for work. I shot at the one Windham Weaponry runs last week and it was fine for what it is. They were OK with me using my own targets and shooting lead reloads. As long as the line is not packed I can get most of my brass back. $20/hr is kind of steep, but it's real convenient for me on a day to day basis.

Boolit Master

I live five minutes away from a state of the art shooting center with ranges that accomodate bow and arrows to M-134 miniguns. The air handling system cost them millions and I like the clean moving air. I bought an annual membership and go there at least twice a week. The range officers know me and do not nit pick what ammo I am shooting as long as it is not grease lubed cast. I take my grand kids shooting there a couple of time a month and have met a bunch of guys that meet for breakfast and then spend a long morning at the range.

You do see a lot of tacti-cool fools though. Last week there were these two guys togged out in tactical vests, shirts, pants and boots. One was shooting a tricked out Sig .45 game gun and the other had some kind of AR with about 20 pounds of accessories from red lights, white lights, range finder, and expensive reflex sight. Everything but curb feelers and fuzzy dice.

Both were shooting sillouette targets at 10 yards.

Boolit Master
    But at least they were shooting.....
    Living just across the river from Ft. Benning a lot of folks are dressed like that......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Banned

Most indoor ranges around here you are not allowed to pick your brass up. So I don't and will not ever go to them.

Banned
    Stopped by an indoor range that recently re-opened. It recently burned down after being open for only a year or so.

2 employees, no customers

Factory ammo only, you either buy their factory ammo or pay $5 per 100 to shoot factory ammo you bring.

I will not be back.
    Last edited by Conditor22; 06-19-2019 at 11:28 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Many years ago, I went to an indoor range here once.
    It has since closed down.
    It was OK, but probably not go back if it were still open.
    I like outdoor ranges better.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Stopped by an indoor range that recently opened.

2 employees, no customers

Factory ammo only, you either buy their factory ammo or pay $5 per 100 to shoot factory ammo you bring.

I will not be back.
    Sounds like they think that they are doing you a favor by letting you pay them to shoot.

They don’t seem to appreciate what a paying customer is.

They won’t last, unless the owner just needs a large tax write off and a free, private place for himself to shoot.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Banned
    I like both indoor and outdoor ranges. We have a nice range close (indoor and outdoor) to me. I will miss them after I move.

Personally I would write a letter to the owner and explain your predicament as a one time visitor and potential customer.
    I worked in the wholesale/retail sporting goods business many years ago, and one thing I learned from the owner is that if someone takes the time to write to you and complain, there are 100 that will never be back and will bad mouth you for years to come.
    If the owner is the least bit business savvy, he will take to heart what you say. If he doesn't, then they deserve to close.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Moderator Emeritus

I stopped at but one indoor range -- (on Long Island, New York) -- but once! At the time I was mobile, with a bad limp -- the long set of stairs to the basement range -- under stores in a strip mall -- would now be an impossibility for me. Nice counter with high-end semi-autos displayed, and lots of shelving on one wall with plastic buckets of empty brass cases. Behind a sliding glass case, opposite it, quite the assortment of factory ammo. The lad at counter was "professional", albeit void of any apparent emotions/feelings.
    He stated that, for "legal reasons" the range is supervised, and showed me a big chart with different league bookings, as well as "open" range time. I'd have to come back three + hours later to shoot. Oh -- but then, I'd (again for their legal liability) have to "join their shooting 'club'" (huh?) which was $125.00 to ever be able to use the range. To shoot, it was a flat-rate $12.50 for two-hour block. One is NOT permitted to pick up and remove any spent brass (I learned that this procedure is against the law -- so he told me); but, I got a smile now knowing where those plastic buckets of empties they were selling came from. I was on a trip, ~400 miles from home, and would not ever go back if I was closer. On a good note, I spied a plastic bucket of brass I was in want of, and their price was -- albeit no bargain -- fair. After I handed over the cash, the bucket was dumped into a Wal*Mart plastic bag, and I hobbed back up the stairs...

Boolit Master

I shoot at the best range anywhere in the world, my own.
    No restrictions, no fees, no limit on caliber or velocities.
    Sometimes I am interrupted by my wife telling me it's time to eat.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

BedBugBilly, have you checked out the DNR ranges near you? Not indoor`s but at least it`s a place to shoot. The gun club I belong to has a indoor range and outdoor range plus Trap and Skeet fields

Boolit Buddy
    bedbugbilly,

I go to a local gun store and indoor range here in Columbus a couple of times a month and almost all of the ammo that is being shot on the range is factory ammo. I would guess that less than 5% of the ammo is reloads. I hardly ever see anyone picking up brass and folks give me a funny look when I do. The range allows handloads and lead bullets but I never see anyone shooting what appear to be cast bullet loads except me. If the business stopped allowing reloads it would have negligible effect on their bottom line.

At one time the store had a fairly decent selection of reloading tools, powders, primers, jacketed bullets, and lead bullets but they had a clearance sale about a year ago and now have no reloading stuff - it just wasn't selling.

In summary, if the demographics of where you live are similar to Columbus, changing their policy to allow handloads and lead bullets will not have little effect on their bottom line.

Gus Youmans

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast