Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Looking to share notes about the original "38/44" Cartridges

Looking to share notes about the original "38/44" Cartridges

I'd really like to find some empty Brass of this Cartridge, if anyone has any leads?

These were essentially a long version of the erstwhile .38 S & W Round, and used a .361 Bullet.

The Cartridge fit the entire length of the Revolver's Cylinder...Bullet fit entirely inside the Cartridge.

So, not to be confused with the much later "38-44" of S & W "N Frame" and or "Heavy Duty" fame which was a hot .38 Special Cartridge.

The Cartridges I am interested in, look like this -

Hosted on Fotki

I am thinking to use .38 S & W Cartridge necked down to slip inside some same diameter thin wall Brass Tube, which I can then solder lightly to stay put...trim all to uniform length, ream mouth if need be...and use them then to Shoot with.

I have a Box or so of original Factory rounds, but I would not want to actually use those.

If I can find some empty Brass, I would be delighted.

One can use .357 Maximum Brass, trim to length, etc, which I might try also...but it is a little too small in diameter and has to fire form.

Anyone else here in to this Cartridge?

This was used in the S & W New Model 3 Target Revolvers, and also in some S & W Model 1891 Single Shot Target Pistols.

Boolit Master

Never saw any of those in my travels but the procedure with the brass tube is doable. Had a friend that made .41 Colt cases in a like manner way back when and they worked out all right and enabled him to get a SA Colt going. Not like that's a real high pressure round.
    I expect any cases you encounter are balloon heads./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I don't know what OAL you need - but if you are talking about trimming down 357 Max brass - take a look at 360 DW (Dan Wesson) brass - Starline sells it and I use it in my deep throated 357 Handi Rifle. The 360 DW has the same case dimensions as 38 Spl. / 357 but is about 1/10" longer than 357 Mag brass IIRC. Might not be long enough but take a look at the dimensions on the StarLine site.

I've never seen what you are showing - interesting for sure.

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez - all that stuff - CARTRIDGE COLLECTOR ITEMS!