MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your most regretted disposal of a firearm was.......?

Moderator Emeritus

I had an 1892 Winchester in .38WCF, and a fellow I sort of knew came over. He eyed the firearm, not saying much -- but returned two days later with friends (cousins) who collect these. I was asked NOT if I wished to sell or trade it, but more "what will you accept in trade." Giving but a few moments of (probably the best choice to be made) thought, I asked for a ,45 revolver. An hour or two later they came back and presented me with a fair-condition revolver, and sped off with the .38-40. A bit nervous with an unregistered revolver, I did in fact register it -- to be visited by police a few weeks or so later, where I was given the choice of giving up the revolver or, being in possession of stolen property. I chose the former. This was in 1970 -- it still bothers me.... and, I still miss that Winnie...
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 06-21-2019 at 07:50 AM.

Selling a Smith & Wesson 681 fixed sight .357 I bought in the late 80's shot about 700 rounds thru it and sold as used about 1989 for 200 dollars. I had a FFL at the time and paid about 280 for the revolver, it was a sweet firearm . I had a 6 inch 686 no dash I bought in 83 which I still have and that 681 was a perfect 4 inch match with that gun for me. I used to shoot bowling pin matches back then . I looked long for one a couple years ago saw one at Greentop for 400 but it was badly flame cut . I bid on a couple they went for 800 to 1000 dollars ! So I got a 4inch new 686 6 shot which is working out just fine despite the change in rifling they say hinders accuracy with lead bullets. Its a good gun but I wish SW never went with the round frame and came with the old style L frame target grips for displaying . I use the Hoge for my shooting

Ive also traded and sold many other guns, but I do have a standing rule, I always use the money I have sold my guns for to buy another gun except for one S&W .44 blue steel 4 inch M29 I bought in 1989. I traded it for a motor generator to run a blender on my boat in 96. The generator is worth about 50 bucks today.. And The Smith ? But It went to a good cause my younger buddy at work in my small shop gave it to his dad who had a 120 acer ranch in Texas and a few ponds on it for cattle. I enjoyed his stories of how much his dad liked that handgun and carried it every day and how he took care of water moccasins in those ponds with snake shot in the 44, and the loads he made up for his dad. Now and then over the years he would tell me I would hate to see it as it has a lot of holster wear with the bluing gone , I told him I was glad his dad got such good use of it on his ranch as it was a working tool to him not a safe queen so Ive always been happy with that trade

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Ithaca 37 featherlight in 20 ga. Never found another just like it
    Same for me: Ithaca 37 in 16ga. It handled and pointed just like pointing my finger and the birds just fell to the ground
    Regards
    John

In Remembrance

For me there has been many and I come up with a different one each time I think about it but there is one that really stands out.
    A Remington 700 Varmint Special in 243 Win., it was an early 70's model with the ribbon style checkering and a tack driver at that. My friend that bought it from me still has it and once in a while we will tease each other, I have a rifle he wants and he has the one I want but neither of us will get rid of either rifle so when he asks I tell him I bent the barrel of the one he wants and he tells me he left the one I want out on the porch for a fresh coat of rust, lol.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I guess mine is a "bit different". I used to build custom muzzleloading rifles. Many years ago,a fine gentleman by the name of Myron Carlson would have a booth with his wife down at the NMLRA Nationals at Friendship. Myron was a master craftsman who made hand forged furniture for rifles - i.e. butt plates, trigger guards, nose caps, etc. His speciality was "Bean stye rifles" and he made some real beauties. He was an older gentlemen (in those years) and I would visit with him and his wife everytimge I was at the Nationals - he was full of great information/advice. I had hime make a set of hand forged furniture for a "Virginia Rifle" (flintlock) that I was building. What a great job he did! I got the rifle finished, shot it a few times at a local RB club that we used to have informal shoots at - took it to a gunshot where I had a booth once a year and put it on display. Unfortunately . . a guy cam along who wanted it in the worst way and he kept coming back to my table throughout the weekend . . . making offers on it. He finally offered a sum I couldn't turn down so I caved and sold it to him - thinking I would get another set of furniture from Myron and build another rifle. Unfortunately, Myron developed cancer and passed away before he could get my furniture done. I though ta lot of Myron - he was just a really nice guy and pleasant to just sit and talk with over a cold ice tea. One year, he showed up with a Bean rifle that was about 1/4 scale that he had made during the winter - what a beautiful piece of work it was! I think of Myron every once in a while and I'm sure he and his wife are in a much happier place now - just have always regretted selling the Virginia style rifle with his furniture on it as now I'd love to have it on the wall to remember him and his wife and all the great visits and conversations we had.

Boolit Master
    Mine was a very nice condition S&W Hand Ejector in .32-20 I sold to a lady who lived way out in the County and needed a “house gun.” I already had a Colt SAA that would handle heavier loadings and back then figured having two revolvers in the same caliber was “wretched excess.”

I now have four rifles in .32-20 and at least three revolvers and wonder what I was thinking . I bought a Colt Army Special in the same caliber as a replacement, but even if the finish was as nice as the S&W was (it isn’t), it’s not the same.

For me it is a Browning Liege, no wait, it was a model 27 nickel S&W or maybe a 29-2 44 or a Colt 1917 1st year 45. Or maybe a Rem 788 44 mag or a Browning BLR 358 or a Rem 700 classic in 7x57. Gun traders—we are incurables.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    For me it is a Browning Liege, no wait, it was a model 27 nickel S&W or maybe a 29-2 44 or a Colt 1917 1st year 45. Or maybe a Rem 788 44 mag or a Browning BLR 358 or a Rem 700 classic in 7x57. Gun traders—we are incurables.
    Exactly. My sentences start with " I had one of those".......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Exactly. My sentences start with " I had one of those".......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Oh yes,I had many,too. Enjoyed them all,good memories. But I rather think "I will have one of those"... instead of looking back.

Boolit Master
    I bought a Kasanar 22 rifle years ago when a Fishers Big Wheel closed for half price it was about 70 bucks.I do not rember a model or anything.Thge rifle had a cheep very soft wood stock that was painted.i sandid it off and did the best i could to stain and finish it.still not the best but better.I sold it to a friend for one of his boys.i could went and got it back but he passed befor i went to get it.this cheep rifle shot lights out with most any ammo.

Kitchen table gun dealer who did a gun show a month in the 80-90's with a good friend. Way, way too many too list, but boy did I have a good time doing it. These days I mostly keep them for myself with out any regrets to be had down the road. But don't tell SWMBO. Besides, trading is fun and shootin' is funner.
    Looking for USGI M1 and carbine rifle parts, please PM me.

Boolit Buddy
    I had a Ruger #1 in 45/70 with the nicest figured stock I have ever seen on a #1. I let it go. I also had a pre war Mauser sporter type A in 7x57 I wish I would have kept..

Boolit Master

In 1978 I bought a Ruger Single Six Convertible, 4-5/8" that had the bicentennial lettering on the barrel. Being just 2 years old it was pretty nice but I sold it a couple of years later. I regretted it deeply and swore that if I ever found another I would buy it. The replacement was at least as nice as the first one but cost 3 times what I got for the first one.

Sold my 7-1/2" Super Blackhawk because it was expensive to shoot. I had done some reloading on a friend's press but didn't own any reloading equipment yet. Really wish I had it now.

After Katrina a co-worker needed a firearm. I had several 1911s so I sold him my Springfield "Loaded" 1911 that shot really well.

Worst part is that I never sold one because I needed the money; just made bad decisions.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Disposal needs to be defined IMHO.

Disposal is take to a buy back that the gun is melted into a sewer cover.

Selling a fire arm you no longer use to one who wants to use it is not.

I get a kick out of the guys who say I have never sold a gun, like they are religious or something about it. Give me a break.

As a shop owner I sold at least 75,000 used firearms that the only thing the owner wanted was money for what ever reason they had. Folks who buy used guns making the market are the ones who should be blamed when you are nuts like the last type. NOT

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by psweigle View Post
    A savage bolt action 30-30. Still kick myself for letting it go.
    My father bought that rifle for me for $25 in 1964, my first deer rifle. He put a $30 receiver sight on it. I still have it and 3 or so others either in Mod. 340 or 325. I see them quite regularly at guns shows and used gun racks for around $200.

Boolit Master
    My first gun was a Swedish Mauser carbine. Shot my first deer with it. When I graduated from College and was going to move to California (65) my father and an uncle decided that I probably couldn't get ammo in Cal. Uncle had sporterized an 03A3 with a Herters stock. The Mauser stayed in Michigan and the 03 came to California. Two years ago #1 son moved to Oregon. #2 joined him last year. Last fall they were going to go Elk and Deer hunting. I gave /lent #1 the 03 with its history and told him he couldn't sell it while I was still alive. He agreed. This spring both sons went to Cabelas to pick up a Thika 6.5 Creedmor that #2 had ordered. While there a customer walked in to sell a Thika in 7-08 that #2 really wanted. He bought two guns that day. Not to be out done #1 bought a 300WM. A guns are Thika Ultralights. Haven't asked but I may get my 03 back,, especially if I move to Oregon. Guns are to be bought not sold.

Boolit Master

I’ve sold off some I wish I hadn’t over the years, but they’re all pretty low on the list of regrets in life. I could have bought whole collections of guns had I made different financial decisions in other areas.

The ones I remember most are times I got taken. About 30 years ago I had an old 1902 Colt in 38 acp. I shot a few rounds and the flat spring broke. I asked the local gunsmith and he said he couldn’t get a spring so I was out of luck, but he had a buddy who might be interested in buying it.

Long story short, this wheeler-dealer guy came out and beat me down pretty badly on price. I knew it was worth more but I was young and dumb. He got it from me for $200. I regretted it it even as I was making the deal because I knew I was letting him rip me off. A couple months later I saw the guy at a show with the old Colt on his table for something like $800 IIRC.

I learned my lesson a couple times with guys like that, and ever since I’ve never had any respect for slick talking wheeler-dealers.
    Last edited by fatelk; 06-26-2019 at 01:33 PM.

Boolit Master
    All of them , but especially the model 1912 20 Ga. my dad gave me.

Boolit Buddy
    I hate this thread. In 1998 I had to sell over 63 firearms. All S & W, Colt, Ruger, Browning rifles & pistols. Half were NIB. Had a real financial problem to clear. Got clear of the financial problem and the wife that caused it. I am sad when I remember those guns.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast