WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your most regretted disposal of a firearm was.......?

Boolit Master

Your most regretted disposal of a firearm was.......?

For me it was disposing of a Remington Model 788 in 22-250 Remington. I was gifted this rifle and I shot it quite a bit at paper and steel. It was not a very pretty rifle. It was plain Jane all the way but very very accurate. To the point it was so accurate that it became boring to me.

Who knew that many years later I would get into calling and hunting coyotes out here in the Las Vegas area. The 22-250 would have been a perfect coyote rifle. Now I use a CZ 527FS in .223 Remington or my Custom Mauser in 6.5.x55MM Sweede. The little CZ 527 is easy to carry and handle but the range is limited to about 175 yds with the 223 round. The sweede is a heavy rifle, more suited to benchrest shooting but is really overkill on a coyote.

I am looking for a 243 for the extra range needed past 175 yds cuz the desert is really open around here with long shots being the norm. However once in a while the sly dogs of the desert will surprise you. I was set up with my back against a rock on a hillside last year and my electronic caller was about 250 feet away from me. I had been calling for about 5 mins when a coyote trotted past me from behind no more than 15 feet away. His attention was on the twirling feather adjacent to the caller and he did not notice my drawing of my Ruger 327 Fed Magnum revolver behind him as he was gonna get that flying feather with the nice smell and the raucus sound. I shot him from about 45 feet and hit him in the back of the head with that .32 cal round. The round turned his head into mush and he dropped like a stone. Another coyote unseen prior to this suddenly stopped advancing on the lure and turned to leave. I caught the movement in my eye and I simply shot this one through the shoulders and he also went to coyote Valhalla. This one was about 40 yds away.

So you cannot always assume your shots will be at range around here. I am thinking a light bolt action in 243 would be the choice. I would love a CZ 527FS in 243 but I do not think that they make one.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

I have sold and or traded so many guns over the years that I have a large number of regrets where they are concerned. I really can't pick just one.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't have a one !
    My Dad once told me " Never get rid of a gun you like !" I took his words to heart and have no regret's .
    Being "not rich" I don't own many guns but the few I have , I like them and keep them .

I do regret not buying a Ruger Blackhawk in 41 Magnum , I didn't know what the 41 mag. was and foolishly thought only a 44 magnum , (Go Ahead , Make My Day) would do...Dumb Move .

My Dad hunted and fished his entire life , he owned one 16 gauge shotgun , bolt action from Sears and one WWII Walther P38 pistol . He took everything from bob white, woodcock , bunnies , squirrel , possum , coon , turkey , ducks , geese , white tail deer and hogs with that 16 gauge shotgun...nobody could out shoot him ! I once asked him why he didn't buy a fancy new pump or semi-auto ..his reply " I like this one ". Maybe not selling and trading guns is in my DNA that Dad passed on to me .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I have two one a sporterized 03 30-06 that i inherited from my dad and a sw 629 snub nose 1 of 5000 . Both were stolen at different times never to be seen again. If you are talking about one i got rid of it would have to be a colt 1903 32 acp. I miss these guns every time i go shooting. I really loved that little colt but times got hard and away it went.

Boolit Grand Master

A Remington 600 in .243 that my Dad helped restock. It was the only gun he worked on.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    anschutz 54 sporter In 22 hornet. The chamber was oversized and it did not shoot like I thought it ought to. That coming from a long time small bore competitor using a match 54, so I think I was being reasonable. Thing is, I should have had it set back and or k hornet chambered. Beautiful rifle, just aggravating and I traded for a Browning 1885 in 30-06, still have it. And it shoots better 100 yard groups than I could with that hornet. Should have just bought the 1885 and kept the Anni!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I have sold and or traded so many guns over the years that I have a large number of regrets where they are concerned. I really can't pick just one.
    Unfortunately, I am in this camp as well. I have let some go that I shouldn't have. Any more though, all of mine are keepers and I wouldn't sell any of them unless I absolutely had to.

Boolit Master

Commercial 1911 made in 1918 and purchase by US Army in 1942. With transfer papers selling it to the officer that it was issued to.

All of them, but most regret would be my 9422 Winchester and my .222 BLR.
    Hard work made me what I am today,
    Broken and broke
    Bob

Boolit Master

Ithaca 37 featherlight in 20 ga. Never found another just like it.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    My 30 cal carbine made by Rockola. It was stolen, so I can’t blame myself, but I really liked it. It would only chamber ball rounds consistently though.

Boolit Master

6" Colt Python - because I wanted the stainless one, which I never got...

I'll go with my first rifle; a Remington 788 22-250! Customized by my teenage self who was stupid to let it go for a Franchi 20 that I also don't have. And yes, 22-250 is the coyote king imho.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I have only sold one, a Hipoint 9mm. Not because it was ugly or didnt shoot, but because my thumb applied the safety during recoil. I dont regret it a bit. I do wish my dad had not sold his service revolver, a 4" stainless 686.
    Last edited by Silvercreek Farmer; 06-18-2019 at 10:12 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine would be a Belgium made Browning T-Bolt that was stolen. My mom was a housewife raising 3 kids on my dad's paychecks. We weren't poor but my dad always made sure we had a nice house, clothes and things while never splurging anything on himself. I had asked for a new bedspread for my 13th birthday and was completely surprised and in awe when he gave me that rifle instead.

A 1895 Winchester in 30-40. I bought it cheap because the prior owner fired a 303 (?) in it & the empty was stuck in the chamber (a few screw driver marks on the rim). That empty was easily removed with a ram rod & a few taps. I foolishly traded it for a like new BRNO dbl. 12ga with false side locks. I thought I made a good trade, but looking back I'd rather have the'95.

I didn't own it but I was getting a new bolt rifle in 1985 and the local shop had a Winchester Featherweight in .270 a d a Ruger 77 in 30/06, I had my mind made up for a 06. I got the Ruger (still have and love it) but that Featherweight still calls to me. One of these days (maybe).

The guns that I have sold over the years are few in number, and all had something that made them totally unloved by me.

Like the absolutely sweet Brazilian made .410 sxs, nice wood, awesome hand checkering.

But the left barrel shot 2 feet high at 50 yards and the right barrel shot 2 fee left. Made it almost impossible to hit anything with it.

Anything that could in any way be made to shoot and hit the target sticks like glue.
    After all, he who dies with the most toys wins, right? Grin

Boolit Buddy

A pristine German Swastika stamped Browning Hi Power. Stupid me traded it for a Dirty Harry model 29.
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

I've traded close to 100 different guns in my time, most of which I regretted at some point. An old norinco SKS, which was my first centerfire rifle is one I regret letting go. I bought a powermatic planer for cheap from work and traded the 800.00 used planer for an at the time 150.00 rifle. I shot it a lot for a few years. I sold it to a friend, whom sold it to another friend, then I bought it back and traded it again.

Then there was a Weatherby mark V deluxe in 270 WM. Bought it used, sold it and never blinked an eye. Dang it was nice.

Others include a blackhawk the wife bought me for Christmas one year, a marlin 1894c, a Remington 41 targetmaster. A Remington 760 gamemaster in 30-06 and a 7400 243.

A smith 642 I carried for years, sold it to a friend and had the chance to buy back but turned it down.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast