MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your most regretted disposal of a firearm was.......?

Boolit Grand Master

Sako L691 in 338 Win Mag. The stock fit me better than any factory stock.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Moderator Emeritus

In 2015, I sold a custom T-38 rifle in 6.5x257R at auction...it went real cheap.
    I missed it so bad, I found the buyer a year later and bought it back...it wasn't real cheap to buy back.
    There is lots more to this story...but this is all I'm telling about it tonight.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Ruger mod 77V HB red pad 22/250 That I overheated with test loads that didn't work and stretched the chamber. I was too young and stupid to know that you could get it reheadspaced !!! This was a legitimate 1/2 to 1/4" at 100yds 5 shots gun. After my fopaw of over heating it was a 2" gun at 100 yds

Boolit Master

I regret letting my friends con me outa some great guns.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    One of the Belgian 1935 rifles in 30-06 had the ABL crest and dated about 1952. Probably others like that. Haven't traded or sold a firearm for years. Frank

I had a beautiful condition Westley Richards Lee Speed Sporter in .303 British and in a weak moment I traded it for a SxS hammer double rifle in .577 3" Black Powder Express. The double was a nice gun too, but I didn't keep it long and sold it to someone that wanted it far more than I did. Still regret parting with the Westley Richards since it was such a nice old rifle in exceptional condition ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    A Sedgley Sporter; a Ruger convertible in 38/40-10mm Auto; and a Rem 788 in 6mm Rem which was the first rifle I restocked. Probably others I really don't want to think about.

Boolit Grand Master

The one I sold off and regretted, I was able to get back. Thankfully it was to a member here who kept his word that he'd offer me the right of first refusal. I owe him a huge thank you. One of the last pictures I have of my father is him firing this rifle and has meant more to me since his passing a little over 6 years ago.

Banned
    If I had it to do over again I would not have sold or traded a single gun.

Banned
    A Remington 541-T with a standard contour barrel. It was the best shooting .22 I ever owned. I traded it for the same model with a heavy target barrel. I thought, target barrel - It must be better ! Nope, turned out to just be heavier.
    I still had a great shooting rifle but it wasn't as handy.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I don't remember the model but it was a Mossberg .22 bolt action. It had a tubular feed that was out of timing but if you only loaded 4 or 5 rounds it was fine, but if you filled
    the tube when the action was worked it spewed 10 or 12 of the rounds out on the ground. It was an older gun and I gave a guy $20 for it when I was in high school back in 74.
    But this thing was a tack driver and the front sight had 4 or 5 different blades that could be locked in place and the others folded down. The rear sight had a similar set up
    with a rotating plate with 4 different sight pictures. It was a heavy little thing but it was a shooter.

I never could get the feeding issue fixed by any one. And one day while young and dumb, I traded it for a set of .45 ACP dies. I have bought and traded guns as much as any one
    but I wish I had that old .25 back.

Boolit Master

I don't want to say - Because it brings me such great pain to even mention it. Young and Oh So FOOLISH. But the lesson will never be forgotten or the deed repeated.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master
    For me, it was my Ruger 44 mag Deerstalker that was sold because I "needed' something with more range. Maybe so, but that first one was accurate and handy. I bought another later but the accuracy of the second was decidedly inferior.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I once owned a Smith K-22 6" bbl that I foolishly got rid of to get the money for a Smith 29. This was back in the "Dirty Harry" days. Every K-22 I now see at a gun show is about 4 times what I sold mine for.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    Let’s see 700 Remington BDL heavy barrel varmint special 223 , interarms mark 10 7x57, ruger GP 100 in 357 mag, ruger old army, and the list goes on. But at the time I had a 8 inch incision running down my lower spine, could barely walk let alone work and a wife and kids had to eat! So I guess in action quality no real regrets just part of life !
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag. that didn't meet my expectations for IHMSA Big Bore. No sooner did it get sold than I started Cowboy Action shooting. Would have made a great side match gun. They're usually shooting an 18" plate at 50 yds. offhand. Lots bigger than a chicken.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Buddy
    During avery low point many years ago I had to sell my Ruger Redhawk 41 mag and my S&W 1006 with SN 1006. Fast forward to more recent times my fiance out of the blue found and purchased for me an identical 5.5" stainless 41 Redhawk which is my most cherished gun. Wouldn't mind another 1006 but my SR1911 10mm is doing just fine.

Many are the guns I mildly regret getting rid of back in the day, especially when I see what they're selling for now.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MDC View Post
    Mine would be a Belgium made Browning T-Bolt that was stolen. My mom was a housewife raising 3 kids on my dad's paychecks. We weren't poor but my dad always made sure we had a nice house, clothes and things while never splurging anything on himself. I had asked for a new bedspread for my 13th birthday and was completely surprised and in awe when he gave me that rifle instead.
    Awesome Dad !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned

I have been forced to sell a lot, a whole lot, of firearms in my life
    Family first and the vagaries of self-employment for last 25 plus years
    Made the decisions easy for me
    I am just not attached to any specific firearm
    But, I did find that when my situation improved, I got firearms I like better
    My tastes did not change, except for an unexpected AR binge the last few years, but I made better decisions and purchased firearms that suited me better as I got older.
    Applies to most anything a guy would get
    I am just not that attached to stuff
    For me it is all fluid and I am not in love with any particular stuff, firearms included
    Regardless, very interesting thread

Boolit Master
    I have missed every firearm that I have sold or traded. Two that I miss the most are A S&W 686 CS-1 3 inch barrel with the box and all papers and tools. The other is one of the first rifles that I bought while still in High school a SAKO Vixen L461 in 222 Rem. Mag.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast