RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45 ACP Mouse Fart loads

Boolit Master

Using WST for cat sneeze loads I have to clean the barrel (chamber) frequently with a carbon cleaner. The pressure is so low that the brass doesn’t seal the pressure and the gasses blow back around the cartridge. My chamber got so fouled before I discovered this that it would no longer go into battery. I’m running 200 gr SWCs at 640-650 FPS. The spring is 8 lb. and the action is glass smooth. Function is very reliable as long as it’s kept clean.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Using WST for cat sneeze loads I have to clean the barrel (chamber) frequently with a carbon cleaner. The pressure is so low that the brass doesn’t seal the pressure and the gasses blow back around the cartridge. My chamber got so fouled before I discovered this that it would no longer go into battery. I’m running 200 gr SWCs at 640-650 FPS. The spring is 8 lb. and the action is glass smooth. Function is very reliable as long as it’s kept clean.
    Interesting. What charge weight did you use that gave that issue?

I’ve also had that issue. I guess turning up the pressure to where that tendency just disappears would be ideal.

Boolit Man
    4.3gr of greendot.
    This is our target load for 9mm,40cal and 45acp.

I had similar issue when I went too low with Red Dot.

I did not have the chamber carbon buildup. But the first 8 rounds all had cases that were soot halfway back.
    Went up half a grain and no more sooty cases.

Yes you can go too low sometimes.

I think a lot depends on the size of the case and weight of the bullet.

As my .32sw long shooting 90 gr cast over 2 grains of Red Dot has no issues at all, and is accurate.
    About as quiet as a .22lr and virtually no recoil or blast.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Interesting. What charge weight did you use that gave that issue?
    The load is 3.7 grains of Titegroup. I built the 1911 for steel plate matches but not Steel Challenge where there is a minimum muzzle velocity. The brass barely clears the ejection port and a few have landed on my hand. They are just warm; not enough powder to get hot. There is a tiny amount of recoil but I don't feel it when shooting. The carbon only got bad after many hundreds of rounds of conventionally lubed boolits.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

The load is 3.7 grains of Titegroup. I built the 1911 for steel plate matches but not Steel Challenge where there is a minimum muzzle velocity. The brass barely clears the ejection port and a few have landed on my hand. They are just warm; not enough powder to get hot. There is a tiny amount of recoil but I don't feel it when shooting. The carbon only got bad after many hundreds of rounds of conventionally lubed boolits.
    I have a friend that uses that exact load and loves it. He uses factory made H&G 68 SWC boolits. He also uses decreased weight recoil springs to ensure function. I don't know the weight.
    Personally, I have never gone that low with Titegroup. I load 4.0 under my 200 grain boolits and they function fine with standard springs in all my 45ACP handguns.
    I can certainly see how they would be very easy on your hands to shoot.

Boolit Mold
    those are great revolvers! mine has all kinds of rounds through it
    225gr tc cast over a couple grains of a fast burning powder will keep you entertained
    but you can also shoot some heavier stuff if you need to ive shot cast 250gr over a stiff load of blue dot and am still waiting for a deer to give me a chance

Boolit Master

I'll have to give that a try since I've come into four pounds of Tite-Boom.
    NRA Benefactor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12