Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .40 S&W reloading problem

Boolit Master
    Without knowing where exactly the rounds are binding it's all just a guess...

Magazine could be bent. Magazine could have a constriction. Magazine could have a bad follower. The rounds could be too long. The rounds could be too wide. etc.

Trying another magazine for the gun would give you a good idea if it's a magazine problem or if it's the ammo. Trying an even shorter OAL might cure the problem.

If the magazine "low spot" is the problem, it's likely that its due to something that happened after leaving the factory like being stepped on or smashed in transport.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    A few points:
    The mag seems to have issues with both reloads and factory loaded ammo.
    The profile of the bullet used in the reloads may be slightly contributing to the issue but I don't think that is the crux of the issue.
    The reloads "plunk test" and appear to be normal in terms of exterior dimensions (no bulges, OAL within limits, good bullet shape - in other words, they should fit & function just fine)

This situation is yet another example of why I refuse to play in the Taurus sandbox. Sometimes you get a good Taurus and sometimes you don't.

That magazine seems to balk even with factory loaded FMJ rounds.

I'd be willing to bet those reloads would fit & function in a number of magazines for other pistols.

My first suggestion would be to obtain a replacement magazine from Taurus. My second suggestion would be to obtain a replacement gun from another manufacturer.
    Exactly the conclusion I have come to. The .002 feeler gauge test got me there.

I was with my friend when he bought the Taurus & tried to lead him to a "Shield" for a few bucks more, but the Taurus was his choice.

Boolit Master
    Post #20 came up as I was posting #21. It does sound like the magazine is too narrow. How much slop is there when inserting the magazine into the gun? Maybe the magazine can be repaired.

It's common for reloads to be slightly wider at the rear than factory rounds. When resizing the case it's impossible to get all the way down to the very bottom and that resized brass tends to migrate in the direction it's being pushed. Most of the time it's not an issue but with a magazine that barely feeds factory ammo It makes sense that this might a problem with reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    Without knowing where exactly the rounds are binding it's all just a guess...

Magazine could be bent. Magazine could have a constriction. Magazine could have a bad follower. The rounds could be too long. The rounds could be too wide. etc.

Trying another magazine for the gun would give you a good idea if it's a magazine problem or if it's the ammo. Trying an even shorter OAL might cure the problem.

If the magazine "low spot" is the problem, it's likely that its due to something that happened after leaving the factory like being stepped on or smashed in transport.
    Check out my reply to country gent. I think it addresses these points.

Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhenry View Post
    Check out my reply to country gent. I think it addresses these points.

Thanks for your input.
    reddog,

Your #23 came up while I was typing #24.

I just got off the phone with my friend (the owner of the gun). He says the magazine has always seemed almost impossible to load, but he thought it was just him (us old guys begin to loose hand strength a little bit at a time). He's not sure if an extra mag came with the gun (he thinks it did & will check). In any event he plans to contact Taurus (meaning a long wait).

Henry

Boolit Master
    Well it’s a mystery to me. I have not ever had a mag that was to narrow if the OAL is not the problem the only other thing I can think of on the ammo is to push it through a bulge buster die.
    But if factory ammo has issues that won’t fix it.
    Have you had the follower out of the mag to make sure it is not damaged?
    And could the mag spring be in backwards or upside down ?

Boolit Grand Master
    Old Henry--

I have used your load listed in my 40 S&W pistols for 20+ years. It runs in EVERYTHING, and shoots well.

I avoid Taurus products like the plague. There are far too many fine and affordable 40 S&W pistols available in this country to even consider buying a Taurus product. If you have to save the few dollars' difference in price, there will always be predatory corner-cutting makers out there willing to take your money and break your heart.

IMO--you are doing a fine thing trying to resuscitate this Taurus pistol, but your noble effort is like doing CPR at an autopsy.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post

I avoid Taurus products like the plague. There are far too many fine and affordable 40 S&W pistols available in this country to even consider buying a Taurus product. If you have to save the few dollars' difference in price, there will always be predatory corner-cutting makers out there willing to take your money and break your heart.

IMO--you are doing a fine thing trying to resuscitate this Taurus pistol, but your noble effort is like doing CPR at an autopsy.

The Plot Thickens

I disassembled the magazine today (it was easy). The follower slides smoothly within the mag. body & to give credit where credit is due: the finish on the mag. looks good. I started introducing factory ammo into the mag. body (no spring or follower) using the follower only to establish the proper angle (using slight pressure on the bottom of the follower with a wood dowel. The 1st. 5 images show the results using this method & all 5 images depict the magazine held vertically without a spring or follower or anything to support the rounds.

#1: the 1st cartridge inserted after the 2nd. round was removed. It is held in place by side pressure alone.

#2: three cartridges held in place only by side pressure alone.

#3: four cartridges held in place by side pressure only...…..note that the front of bottom one is now tilted downward (it must have hit a loose spot).

#4: five cartridges....all held in place by side pressure alone.

#5: all six loaded with mag. vertical with no follower or spring supporting them.

#6: A bottom view of the mag. body. There is a slight bow inward on the right side.

This proves that the interior of the mag body is too tight.

My friend (the owner) has a lathe, 2 milling machines, a surface grinder & other precision tools. He plans to make a .002 oversize tool to expand the interior & has the ability to increase the width in small increments. He'd prefers to solve the problem this way, than deal with Taurus.

I'll post the results. Thanks for the many opinions given to help solve the problem.

Henry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-045F.JPG   MVC-046F.JPG   MVC-047F.JPG   MVC-048F.JPG   MVC-050F.JPG  

MVC-051F.JPG  
    Last edited by oldhenry; 06-20-2019 at 11:49 PM.

Boolit Master
    Well good find , I bet he can can make it better.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well that answered a lot

Banned
    Yet more proof that Taurus products are just not worth the risk of buying.
    Sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you don't.

Boolit Grand Master
    It would be unlikely Taurus makes the magazines. Usually another vendor specializing in sheet metal fabrication makes them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    It would be unlikely Taurus makes the magazines. Usually another vendor specializing in sheet metal fabrication makes them.
    Taurus still SHIPPED the gun with that crappy magazine. I don' care who made it, Taurus sold it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, and my Ruger P97 came with Chip McCormick inspired magazines that jammed when they had some amount of use due to poor follower design and weak magazine springs. I could give many other example to include other name brand manufacturers.

Point is, he can go to Gun Mag warehouse and get another one. This is a magazine problem, but of unknown origin at this point. It may have been stepped on or altered.

Banned
    35remington, I'm going to bash Taurus. Just let me spread some hate for Taurus and I'll be on my way.

Boolit Grand Master
    I’m not defending anyone here. Just pointing out that the OP does not have to deal with Taurus and the customer service hassle by all the evidence presented. Get a new magazine and try again.

My friend calls & says he has the magazine's interior expanded to the point that it'll accept factory rounds OK: they'll slide down the stripped body easily. He increases the size of his expanding tool by wrapping shim stock around it. The "spring back" being addressed in this manner. My reloads do not pass the test yet. I suggested a flat section of steel wrapped with 220 grit emery paper to reduce the small raised spots inside @ the holes.

The mag. is in his control now. If he wants to continue efforts to accept my reloads, I'll furnish him a supply from time to time.

Henry

Boolit Grand Master
    Old Henry--

Both you and the gun's owner have far more patience that I would have shown.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oldhenry View Post
    My friend calls & says he has the magazine's interior expanded to the point that it'll accept factory rounds OK: they'll slide down the stripped body easily. He increases the size of his expanding tool by wrapping shim stock around it. The "spring back" being addressed in this manner. My reloads do not pass the test yet. I suggested a flat section of steel wrapped with 220 grit emery paper to reduce the small raised spots inside @ the holes.

The mag. is in his control now. If he wants to continue efforts to accept my reloads, I'll furnish him a supply from time to time.

Henry
    I would suggest a 10lb sledge hammer and an anvil.

Old Henry, I agree with Al, you and your friend have way more patience than I.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast