Load DataWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: .40 Caliber BPCR Accuracy

Boolit Buddy

.40 Caliber BPCR Accuracy

Those of you that shoot a .40 caliber BPCR may be interested in the article I just posted titled, “.40 Caliber BPCR Accuracy – Twist Rate vs. Bullet Length vs. Velocity”. It can be accessed at the following link:
    http://www.texas-mac.com/40_Caliber_..._Velocity.html

Wayne
    NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Thanks for sharing!
    I use a Lyman tapered boolit in both my 40/65 and 45/70 (shown in the pic) both of which allow the boolit to be breech seated for good accuracy. I use a Pedersoli Sharps also with a ROT of 1:16"

The tapered boolit 10 shot group off a benchrest.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Hey Wayne, that pointy RCBS mould I got from you about six years ago sure does shoot like a champ in my browning bpcr. It might not be the most aerodynamic but it goes where it's pointed!

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Hey Wayne, that pointy RCBS mould I got from you about six years ago sure does shoot like a champ in my browning bpcr. It might not be the most aerodynamic but it goes where it's pointed!

Hi Carl,

I debated selling that mould but had too many others at the time & not enough time to try them all. I'm sure glad it works good for you.

Wayne
    NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Boolit Master
    Wallace, BA, I have to ask. What is that short bottle neck cartridge next to the 45-70?
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    I'll bet it is a 577/450 Martini round between the 40-65 and the 45-70.
    --The British counterpart to our 45 Govt(45-70) back in the day.
    beltfed/arnie

Yes it is a 577/450, I use a pure lead bullet of 0.462" and have been getting excellent grouping at 50 yards. My rifle is an officers model with a near mint barrel.

Of course, the red coat and pith helmet are mandatory accessories

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    Both the group and the soldier are impressive. B.A. many years ago there was an outfit called Golden State Arms located in Pasadena, Ca. It was in an old three story house and it was filled with original British, Hungarian, Austrian and German uniforms from the 19th century as well as the guns that were used at the time. They had gone to Europe and bought out old military warehouses. The British belts & holsters were made of leather dyed white. You could even buy the white pith helmets. American cavalry sabers from the civil war were $17 and you could buy a Luger for $39 but the artillery model was $69. It was great fun to spend the day just walking the aisles of that place. I hated to see it close.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Gopher Slayer,
    Indeed, I bought my first real hi power rifle , a M1903 Springfield from
    Golden State Arms in about 1960-1961. Cost $39.95 plus REA shipping.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    beltfed, I was probably there that day. Do you still have the '03? I never held on to anything. Late at night I cry myself to sleep just thinking about the 1911 Colts, Simson Lugers, M1 Carbines, '03s Winchester '92s & 73 Winchesters I let get away. I could add to the list but you get the idea.

Boolit Mold
    Ahhhhh....Golden State Arms....Now there's a name I haven't heard bandied around in the last 40 or so years. Their catalogues were like large books! There was nothing they didn't sell in the way of interesting antique rifles, and other collector's interests.

Not coming from "the land of the free" life went on and collecting interests changed, as job prospecs improved. Now retired, I think back to what GSA had for sale and regret that I didn't take up a few of those now unaffordable offers coming out of collector's cupboards stored there since the 1960's.

All better investments than tha same amount of money put in a bank account.

Think about that!
    Oldfeller

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Gopher Slayer,
    I do still have several pieces that I had obtained back in the 50s and 60s.
    The 03 from GSA had to go for $$ for college.
    But later, in '63 I picked up a M1903A1, which I learned later is a M1941 Marine
    Corps Sniper rifle. Still have it . Use for CBA Vin Mil only. NO more jacketed bullets
    since late '60s Hi Power matches.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    AND, still have my M1886 Win 45-70 -first real hunting rifle
    also bought in 1963. $60.
    beltfed/arnie