Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Nose diameter of Ideal 311316 or 311008?

Boolit Master

Nose diameter of Ideal 311316 or 311008?

Hello all,
    Does anyone have an Ideal 311316 or 311008 mold that could give me the nose diameter your mold drops? Your alloy could also be helpful. Thinking of buying one of these to use in my Marlin 30-30's which have large bores.
    Thanks for your help,
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    Rick -

My mold is at least 50 years old, and is actually a 3118. Lyman changed the number to 311008, but it's allegedly the same mold.

I just measured some I have on hand that my dad cast up back in the sixties and they have a flat nose of exactly .200". He used a 1-10 ratio of tin to lead. They weighed 112 grains.

Last week I loaded up 10 of them over 6.5 grains of Unique as a plinking load, and they shot very consistently in my 1951 Model 94 Winchester. I was just barely missing clay pigeons laying on the back berm at 100 yards with open sights, from a standing position. BUT, I had to hand feed them in to the chamber. They would not feed via the lever action. They kept running into the breechface. I had the same problem with them in a .30 Carbine, so my next casting session they're all going back in the pot. Too bad. I really wanted to be able to use them.

Boolit Mold
    My old lyman #3118 measures .308" above the crimp groove in wheel weight metal.

Boolit Master

Thanks guys for the help. Much appreciated!
    Rick