MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stray Dogs

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    It really shows what type of person someone is.how they would treat a defenseless animal. I could never be cruel to an animal it just ain't in me. I ended up in more than one confrontation with a neighbor i used to have over how he treated his pit bulls. I usually try to mind my own business but this is one that makes me see red.

Boolit Master
    There is A HUGE difference in getting ones jollies from mistreating an animal, and animal control. We never mistreated a stray dog, but we sure shot a lot of them DRT!

Boolit Master

I remember when I first moved to Iowa, I worked with a guy that had some interesting stories about packs of feral dogs roaming the Iowa countryside.

Totally foreign concept to me since stray animals are quickly taken care of by the predators out here.

Lot's of people move to this area and are heartbroken by the loss of a pet that they let roam free when they go camping or move to a home in the country. Seems there are articles in the local papers that crop up every now and then regarding an increase in coyote and cougar sightings in towns when the predators discover easy meals.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Thunderstick i understand there are things that must be done. It is just i wount be the one doing them.

Boolit Master

I'm happy strays are not much of a problem here, as I just don't think I could turn my back on one.

Boolit Master

We have our own Animal Control. They mostly work against the Coyote problem.

We have been told by the "Authorities" that if they try to kill them all off, they will just breed faster. ?????

We don't have a dog anymore. But with all the Pet Cats & Small Dogs disappearing, My Daughter's Cat is allowed into the back yard, 8am-5pm. Cat sleeps all day on My Daughter's bed anyway. Standard female fraidy Cat.

All the Feral Cats are gone, so are the Year-round Ducks at the Pond in the Big Park. But if We see a coyote, were Not allowed to shoot them.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I don’t like strays. Applies to animals and people.

Boolit Master
    I couldn't let a dog go on starving, and I dang sure couldn't shoot one unless it was aggressive towards people, pets, or livestock. I sure wouldn't mind popping a few of the pieces of scum that drops those poor dogs off though.

The best dog we have ever had was a stray of sorts. He found us and we kept him for 14 years. I sure miss him.

Sent from the largest mountain range in Florida.

Banned
    I'm torn on this one.

When I was younger I shot stray dogs out here regularly on the advice of the local Sheriff's Dept. They were mostly pitbulls and the occasional Rottweiler. One time about 25 years ago a loose Rottweiler was out charging and growling at schoolkids waiting for the bus. When I called the deputies they told me not to bother calling animal control. They were closed on Mondays and Fridays and wouldn't respond anyways unless someone had actually been bitten. I told him that my 6 year old and other children were afraid. He asked me "Do you have a gun?". I said "Yes." He said "Shoot that blankety-blank". I didn't enjoy it. I am a dog lover and Rottweilers are magnificent animals. But a child outranks a dog, especially my child. I wish I could have found the tweaker who let him loose. There are signs here saying that in this county loose dogs can be shot. Seems unusual for California I know.

At the time this area was a hotbed of meth production. You've all heard stories of mobile meth labs in old beater RV's? They're not stories, they were routine here for a while. Well local law enforcement got the meth labs under control or run off, don't know. And the number of loose "guard dogs" has dwindled. This area is now more gentrified as well. A loose dog is more likely to be a Jack Russel terrier or some such.

Loose domesticated dogs are also a ranchers nightmare. We had a local sheep farmer lose several lambs on a regular basis. We all thought it was coyotes until he shot the two large, full sized poodles that were getting out, roaming around and doing what dogs do. And some of the rich folk around here have performance horses worth upwards of $25,000. Some are my neighbors and they tell you up front that no stray is going to harm their horses.

I don't think that I could shoot a stray any more. I am older and softer. Heck, I even feed stray cats now! My wife and kids are stunned.
    Last edited by sghart3578; 06-21-2019 at 11:44 PM.

Might have been a Star Wars dog?

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Banned

We moved out in the sticks a few years ago, and I expected this to be a problem and it hasn't been yet. Only stray so far was a big friendly tom cat who hung around a couple of years, one of the best cats I ever knew. He came and went as he pleased, I fixed him up a nice little shelter and took him once a year to the vet for shots. We were convinced he was going between families, there's a farmhouse a half mile away. Anyway, he eventually stopped showing up, I miss the little guy.

I have gotten to where I don't like killing things without a good reason, but a stray pit or similar would likely get shot, can't afford to risk it showing up when my wife was outside and I wasn't around. I hope I never have to.

Boolit Master
    We live way out in the country. Usually the strays show up when the college kids graduate or go home for the summer.
    I don't shoot a dog unless it is after our cattle. The coyotes usually take care of the cats.
    Some of the most loyal dogs we have had were strays.

Boolit Grand Master
    I do not like stray dogs. In the six years we have lived in the woods we have not encountered any.

If they are non-aggressive, I will let them go. If they pose a threat, they will be shot.

If a starving dog came to house, I would toss out some food and see what happens.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    I couldn't let a dog go on starving, and I dang sure couldn't shoot one unless it was aggressive towards people, pets, or livestock. I sure wouldn't mind popping a few of the pieces of scum that drops those poor dogs off though.
    I am with you i just could not set and watch an animal suffer. To my surprise some of the neighbor's are having problems with coyotes. I have never actually seen one but i live right on the edge out front houses out back woods all the way to the swamp. So maybe.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    I am with you i just could not set and watch an animal suffer. To my surprise some of the neighbor's are having problems with coyotes. I have never actually seen one but i live right on the edge out front houses out back woods all the way to the swamp. So maybe.
    Coyotes are another story. We've lost a few dogs to them over the years, so they are shot on sight.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Had packs of wild dogs roaming the river valley near me a few years ago. DNR has rules against shooting them, the ranchers and sheep herders had a different plan and most were shot. And they were interbreeding with the coyotes! Coydogs kill for the thrill of it, coyotes at least only kill for food...

Coyotes are a major problem here too, had 2 walk down the middle of the street in front of my house last night. Direction I can't shoot because of the horses...

Boolit Master
    I'm not much on killing...I find no joy in it....I hunt but it's for the meat,I prefer wild game.

But I'm not much on strays I'll put them down. Nothing good will come of letting them live. They eather suffer and starve or kill stock to survive.... Now with that said I have taken in a few but I can't keep them all
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Grand Master

I'm a big softie , any stray , hungry or injured animal that shows up I at least feed . Yeah I know feeding them is dangerous and I've ended up adopting ( feeding every day) more than one cat or dog.
    But the rule around here is if you going to move in , you going get fixed , stay here and not contribute to any more strays . Cats have to catch mice and/or snakes . Someone left a nice fat rat DOA on the laundry room floor to prove they were still on the job .
    A man brought a sick puppy to the vet my wife worked for, they didn't think the little guy would make so planned to put him down.... That hurt , I told wife, buy the medicine he needs and bring him home , we nursed him and he got well...he grew up with my son...they was best buds till the end . My son is 40 and still talks about "Elmo" !
    Over the years we have ended up with as many as 6 cats and 2 dogs at one time, yes it's a zoo around here...but that's the way God made me . Heck, I even FEED the squirrels around here !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I have had a few strays here in the sticks one was a lost coyote hound i put out a bowl of food (it was 2 am night before deer season it ate some let me pet it and read phone number off collar . Owner was glad to get it back he was sure it would be shot during deer season if still out . Others I have found in the woods coyote food same with countless cats one day a Rottweiler was in the front yard I called and it ran . Three days later in the morning the Rott and a hunting hound were on front porch and would not leave . I went out the back door keeping railing between us the hound let me pet it the rott growled at me and the hound growled at it if it got closer then a foot from it. I gave each of them a separate food and water bowl both had ribs showing called animal control . While waiting they got a second bowl of food and more water I got a chain on the hound and moved it off the porch to the pole barn the rott followed kept growling at me and the other dog. Over an hour later and no animal control and my wife had to leave I went out to move her car and that rott made the most awful growl it's eyes went wild and every hair stood on end it was 50 feet from me when it charged. I held Left hand up yelled sit it still charged right hand pulled 45 and as it crouched to jump at my throat I shot it. I am certain that thing was planning my death a 45 acp 165 gr +P Corbon knocked it flat.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast