WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stray Dogs

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Lived in Suburbia eons ago when I was a teen, a neighbor's dog (German Shorthair Pointer) walked up to me as I sat reading on my front step, and offered to eat me alive. I told it it was welcome to start a fight, and I'd end it; It decided I wasn't afraid of it enough and left.

My sister went to the same school as the owner's daughter, and told me the daughter kept complaining that someone had shot that dog AGAIN, somehow I didn't find this a shock... I suspect each time the dog healed up, the owner let it roam the neighborhood again. In addition to that obvious negligence, I suspect the dog wasn't well-treated at all, but its' behavior and being loose in that neighborhood were WHY it was getting perforated regularly, in a suburban setting. No idea what ended up happening to that dog. It never offered me violence again, at least.

I love strays, provided they are nice; I live in the same suburban area right now, so I don't see many. When I lived out in the boonies 10+ years ago, we had too many pets dropped off out in the country near us, almost all became coyote food. I don't think much of people who do that. Only had two cats make it to us, we'd feed them to keep the pack rat population down (Those things are ANNOYING!) as well as mice etc.; And one dog, who was let loose off his lead by an IDIOT neighbor and managed to run out in front of a motorcycle on the highway, and get killed. No humans were hurt, fortunately, the driver laid the bike down - Smart. But STUPID on the neighbor's part. You have to keep dogs & cats away from Coyotes or they're toast...

Banned
    How big a dog does it have to be for the coyotes to avoid confronting it? American pit bulls, Rhodesian ridgebacks and Rottweilers are not known for cowardice.

Boolit Master

“Breeds” is quite a generalization. My 140Rot was a block head and not afraid of anything. Accept maybe missing a meal Or a belly rub.
    He took on at least one coyote in defense of his “sister”. The coyote had friends and lucky for Me he listened very well and stopped from Chasing them into the woods. He broadsided the one yote right in the yard who had his eye in my 20# Lahasa, right in the front yard and Ill tell you, the fur flew, but its was not blk fur!

Some Folks use dogs to hunt coyotes. Check out utube.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Problem comes when your 150# big dog gets drawn into an exposed position by one coyote, then 8 of their packmates show up and surround your dog. Size alone isn't a guarantee of success in that situation. Now, if the dog has a human with a nice accurate semi-auto varmint rifle, that helps

A single coyote will flee an aggressive good sized dog. A pack can disassemble a good size dog fairly quick.
    Some of my best dogs have been adopted strays. But I have killed many neighbors dogs that run our livestock. As the 5 acre McRanches proliferate, more free running dogs appear. If they are just exploring or visiting, it's cool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

About 1977? we had a very friendly dog show up, Black Lab who brought his own tennis ball, "Here please throw my ball for me!", I was happy to do so. Unfortunately our momcat had JUST had a litter and when she came outside, saw an evil kitten-killing DOG in HER yard, so she puffed up, and "Crab-puff" ran at him (we were yelling at him "Run!" but he never saw her coming) and she attacked him and drove him off. Nice dog, she usually wouldn't have cared but a new litter of kittens = hormones had her guarding HER yard. I felt pretty sorry for the dog! Nowadays my cats are indoors-only, tho I want to put a "Catio" up when I move next so the cats have a place to "be outside" but safe. Might let the dogs have the run of that too (once I get some, after I move.)

That sort of dog I don't mind at all, friendly is great! Or a friendly cat who pops in to visit (had that happen once, mistook it for one of our cats, only it ran when it saw me, I captured it and took it back outside - Just "Uh-Oh a human I don't know", not hostile but validly concerned because we're far larger than they are.) "Little Joe" looked *just* like our cat, except for the collar and tag (and running LOL)

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Problem comes when your 150# big dog gets drawn into an exposed position by one coyote, then 8 of their packmates show up and surround your dog. Size alone isn't a guarantee of success in that situation. Now, if the dog has a human with a nice accurate semi-auto varmint rifle, that helps
    My Great Pyreneese turned two about a month ago and weighs prob 125+ at least now. My yard is fenced but a pack of coyotes were down the holler making a huge racket and he was going ballistic. I had the same thought. He could easily take out one but a pack would destroy him. I ended up firing half a dozen shots from my 9mm carbine in that direction (nothing around me down there - totally safe) and they moved off. Really bad this year. I usually have three flocks of turkeys. Heard a single Tom and saw only one hen this year.

Boolit Master

I cannot do it where I am mow, but before Id hunt that pac thats in around my yard. Id know where the den was and they would Move on or die.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

It all comes down to people is my thinking get a pet get tired of it and drop it of to become someones else problem. Sure sometimes they are saved most of the time it goes bad for the animal.
    I do not like to be forced to kill a animal because of a person is to dam sorry to take care of it and drops it off for someone to deal with. If your going to get a dog or cat get it fixed unless your going to breed it even if its a male.
    In short good people are forced to kill something they do not want to.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Banned
    The number of cats and dogs that are euthanized at ‘shelters’ is outrageous. They pile the animal corpses up in a freezer until they get enough to make firing up the crematorium economical.
    Shot or injected, they will wind up dead either way, in tragic commonality with many big-city homeless people.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123