Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: what to do with a rifle you have carried too long

Boolit Master

what to do with a rifle you have carried too long

I have this t-c Hawken in .50 cal. took it to a few gun shows no interest because it is a caplock. our state is a flintlock state.
    so grand son has been helping me on the farm. he is 12 end of august he is going to get the rifle. will be his first firearm.

Boolit Master

Hey, I like your thinking. I have been passing along rifles and revolvers/pistols to my grandchildren for some years now.

Sounds like a good plan. Muzzleloading has so much to offer and to learn. You'll get to spend some time with him showing him how to load, shoot, and clean it. By the way, you could possibly change the rifle over to a flinter if you can find the lock somewhere, as they came both ways and maybe someone parted one out.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    That sounds like a great idea. I am sure he will love it.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I shot my first muzzleloader when I was 10 . . and never stopped. When I was a kid, I hunted with muzzleloaders and with the interest I had in history at such young age, it went right along with that. I bought my first rifled musket when I was 12 - still have it. My point? Your grandson will treasure that rifle for the rest of his life and with you helping him to learn how to use it, those memories will never go away. When he looks on that rifle 60 or 70 years from now, he'll remember his "grandpa" and all the good times he had with you and those are things you can't put a price on. When you give it to him - take a picture of the two of you with the rifle - he'll treasure that as well. Good luck . . have fun . . . and shooting "on the farm with grandpa" will be with him the rest of his life!

Boolit Master
    Awesome!

You have quite possibly started a tradition in your family and also helped pass along our sport/interest to a new generation. Im sure he will be very happy to receive such a gift.

Boolit Master
    Dandy rifle to start the kid off with.

Boolit Master
    I assume your kids have the guns they want/need as well.

My father-in-law gave me a couple of treasured guns before he passed. It made him happy to see me shooting and caring for them. Our kids aren't interested so they will go to a niece who is (I taught her to shoot).

It is always nice to addict the next generations

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    I have this t-c Hawken in .50 cal. took it to a few gun shows no interest because it is a caplock. our state is a flintlock state.
    so grand son has been helping me on the farm. he is 12 end of august he is going to get the rifle. will be his first firearm.
    Good plan for grand son to learn how to shoot. Leave it as a cap lock to teach him how to shoot.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    The right thing to do. Now you have to take the responsibility of teaching him how to use it correctly and safely. Supervise it. When I was twelve I did some unsupervised things with guns that weren’t always the safest.

Boolit Master
    With a slight (easy) modification to its mortise a T/c Hawken Cap-Lock stock can be adapted to accept both (cap & flint locks) Both barrels are simply drop-in's requiring little to no fitting.)

So~~ if Grandpa keeps his eye on the Ball concerning buying a original T/c flint lock & barrel he may vary well walk afield with his Grandson {soon} in hopes to read a text from his young hunter> "Hey Grandpa. Brown is down over here." (:

Boolit Man
    It's a great way to get reacquainted with your kids too. My son and I used to shoot frequently when he was young, especially black powder. He loved it and we had lots of great trips to the range. But as he got older into his late teens his interests changed (of course) and the range trips ended. As a sophomore in college he joined the National Guard and after school moved to city life. Six years later, after he got of the guard, I presented him with a pristine flintlock Lyman Great Plains rifle as a thank you for his service. The next weekend it was like the old days. We spent hours at the range shooting that flintlock and we both had a great time.