WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Henry

Boolit Buddy

New Henry

I'll be having some sleepless nights. I just got through ordering a Henry BBSteel 20" bbl in 45 colt to go with my Bisley. Feel like a kid at Christmas time.

Boolit Master

I know how them nights are. And the tracking the order every morning if ordered on line.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Congrats on your new Henry - know how you feel - I bought a BB Steel in 357 to go with my Uberti Bisley about a week and a half ago. I'm switching the sights out to a Skinner receiver peep - you'll love your 45!

My BB steel 20" is a beautiful rifle and the action is like butter on it. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet - was waiting for a mold and it came today - going to cast some up this week sometime and then load some up and give her a try. The next one for me will be a 45 LC to go with my Uberti Cattleman - will be anxious to hear how you like yours and how it shoots for you! Good luck and have fun!

Boolit Buddy
    A friend at work and I finally had time to go shooting last week. All he can talk about usually is AR's and semi auto pistols. We worked our way through all the pistols we had brought and he finally asked what was in the long gun case. 'Oh it's just my Henry 41, wanna try it?' I asked. 'Why not' he said. Should have had my camera out for the look on his face after the hammer fell it was as good as any kid on christmas morning. Third person I've let shoot my Henry and it's the same everytime, pure joy.

Come to find out he'd never fired any type of lever action. At least I finally got him to shut up about AR's, phew.

You'll love yours, guaranteed.

Boolit Master
    Congrats awesome gun by an awesome company. I have many and love to shoot them all and lime you everyone who gets to spend time with them enjoys them allot.

Good deal! Be sure to give us an honest review when you shoot it!
    "Are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Boolit Buddy
    Boy, Buds is slow. Ordered Monday and hasnt even shipped yet.

Boolit Bub

You think Buds is slow? Try Hinterland Outfitters. Took them 6 days to ship one to me. Then 4 days for UPS. They blamed on the Christmas rush. I didn't know they moved Christmas to January.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Schreck5 View Post
    Boy, Buds is slow. Ordered Monday and hasnt even shipped yet.
    Same here
    Ordered two
    Just got their "up to seven business days" email
    But they had what I wanted
    And after living in California for 55 years, I am used to waiting
    The Buds National Waiting Period
    Typically one of my last choices for buying firearms, but sometimes they are the only option

Congrats when ever it comes.
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, my Henry has finally shipped. I now have a tracking number but the gun has not reached the FEDEX mailing center yet. Getting closer. I am not a wealthy man and it has taken me a long time to save up for this.Excited.

Boolit Master

We changed out the hammer spring for the light ones made for a Marlin--drop in fit and does a great job of lessening the racking effort.

we both shoot cowboy
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    Well, my Henry finally arived about 3 wks ago. Have had it to the range 3 times now. So far accuracy has eluded me. 6" at 50yds. I am shooting the Mihec version of the rcbs - 270 - saa sized to .454, bhn of about 11-13, powder coated, dropping from the mold at 282 grs. Cases are full length sized then neck sized with an NOE .456 x .452 neck sizing plug, a seated then pulled boolit measures .4525 to .453.
    Slugged the bore, no choke in the bore. I have not done a chamber cast, but i have tried a .452 swc 255 gr, bullet and accuracy was even worse. I dont know what to try next. I need your help guys and gals.

Oh, and i have zero leading. My recipe is 24 grs. H110, CCI mag. primers. Cases are shortened by .300" so the Henry can digest them.
    Last edited by Schreck5; 07-18-2019 at 03:15 PM.

Cases shortened by how much? That is an awfully stiff load.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy
    Cases are shortened by .030".
    Sorry, in my above statement i said .300", thats is WRONG. I put the decimal in the wrong place when i was typing.

Boolit Grand Master

I would either check with a calipers that you have the right expander plug, or that you are not shaving lead on seating. A .452" expander should not be sizing a .454" bullet down.

Boolit Buddy
    Double checked the exp. plug, .456 x .452. Do ya reacon my alloy is a bit too soft and is still getting swaged down by the case? I guess i could try a BHN of 16?

Boolit Buddy
    Forgot to mention i also tried 6.6 grs Red Dot with the same bullet. Produced a shotgun patttern. Groups seem to get worse with a hot barrel. If i let the barrel cool down between shots, it helps the accuracy some. A coolish barrel is how i got the 6"group.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    If you're worried about whether or not your boolit is getting swaged upon seating - have you taken a loaded round, pulled the boolit and checked it with a micrometer? (not calipers)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    If you're worried about whether or not your boolit is getting swaged upon seating - have you taken a loaded round, pulled the boolit and checked it with a micrometer? (not calipers)
    See post #13. , with mics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast