RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brass MP Mold in 45 Why am I getting wrinkles

Boolit Master
    Start off by cleaning the mold, if the mold has any oil in the cavities you have a problem. Don't be afraid to get it wet give it a good scrubbing with a high quality degreaser like "Oil Eater" and a toothbrush then scrub rinse in hot tap water. If you are still worried an acetone scrub won't hurt.

Once the mold is contaminate free, turn the pot up to 800+ degrees and confirm that the alloy has reached that temp with a thermometer. Preheating the mold on a hot plate helps to bring it up to temp if you have one, if not start casting letting the mold rest between pours to absorb the heat in the blocks. It may take you a number of pours, but you should be dropping completely filled out bullets. Once you find the sweet spot temperature wise adjust to your liking. Brass molds like to run hot and especially molds with pins. Give the mold what it wants and it will give you beautiful bullets.

Boolit Master
    MP instructions worked for me,I only have one (45 acp hp nlg) but it was easy after the heat cycles. They took a whole afternoon though,you have to let it cool down.

I cast @780 and preheat my mold hot on a plate 30 min at least. Boolits fly out the mold,the first session I had to help them a bit but it's been very easy ever since.

Clean it very well with brakekleen.
    Last edited by Petander; 06-29-2019 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Editing

Boolit Bub
    Good info below. Heat up your alloy and break it in.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Cast faster. You need to fill the cavity fast and then when you dump em, refill it again very fast. Don't stop and admire them, don't wait or separate them from the sprue you dumped or look for culls, just cast like your arm was on fire and it'll smooth out when the mold hits its sweet spot temp.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    I personally run two molds simultaneously. Production is increased and unlikely to have lead smears from opening too soon.

Boolit Bub
    That did it guys, thanks! I upped the temp on the PID to 780 and pre-heated the mold on a hot plate set on 4 and only cast with one mold, the 45 only, and cast fast......and everything is looking great....thanks again......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45 HP MP Mold.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	246539

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12