Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion Needed

Boolit Mold

Opinion Needed

Is it ok to run a .430 cast bullet through a .427 sizing die or is this a bit much??

I would. That's pretty much what the sizer is for.

If the alloy is fairly soft, the lube grooves don't get totally collapsed, with the nose crushed,
    and it doesn't feel like you're tearing the sizer off the bench, it shouldn't be a big deal.

You might want to play around with the alloy or mold to decrease the size of the dropped boolit in the future.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

You should be able to size that much without issue. I've sized bullets of wheel weight alloy .004 before on my Lyman 450.

Boolit Master
    Curious; what firearm do you have that requires a .427” boolit?
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Mold
    Cimarron Model P 44-40

Moderator Emeritus

I have done this with two notables: 1st, the lub grooves are (obviously ) not as deep as before sizing; and 2ndly -- I used a Lyman 450 -- the process was significantly slower than when, say, just sizing down one to two thousandths. (But -- this just "could've been me".) For 100% accuracy in my relaying MY sizing, it was bullets which dropped at 0.454" which I sized down to 0.451" -- a tad bigger, but the same 0.003" sizing. And, my loading was in mid-range (Bullseye target) velocities.
    geo

According to Cimarron, their 44-40* groove is 0.429"
    https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/bore-groove-twist/

* (actually, ALL of their 44's)

Boolit Master

You should be fine. It may reduce the amount of grease the lube groove holds, but, not by much.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    My two cents - I've sized even more as an experiment. If you want to mostly retain the lube grooves, run the boolits through the regular .430 sizer and fill the lube grooves. Then size them down to .427.
    This also helps by having a little lube to help it go through the sizer easier.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    follow up on what mehavey posted.

I don't load the 44-40 but in my Uberti revolvers, the throats have always been ample for the caliber - unlike several Rugers I've owned.

If your boolit is .430 and your grove diameter is .429 - I'd be guessing that you have a pretty ideal situation. Have you loaded any of your .430 into dummy rounds and checked the fit to see if they will chamber in your revolver? If they chamber, I'd sure try them before sizing. .002 oversize the bore in a lead boolit is a very common practice if it chambers.

If you question your bore dimensions - slug it and check with a micrometer, not a dial calipe - but I own a number of ubertis and their bores I have always found to be very consistent with their published descriptions.

Good luck!

Boolit Mold
    That is my problem. My .430 , .429, and even some .428s I had won’t chamber. The .428s were the closest .I pulled a factory loaded bullet ,which chambers fine, and found it to be .427 so I figured I might give it a try. If Ubertis do have a .430 bore, I'm afraid I am going to cause accuracy problems and leading by using the smaller bullet. I know that Uberti states they have a .429 but their chambers are extremely tight. Maybe I need a finishing reamer for the cylinder
    Last edited by MikeM.; 06-16-2019 at 09:23 AM.

If they're really that tight, you're fighting a losing battle until the cylinder throats are opened up.
    As BedBug suggests, slug the barrel to be sure of your groove dia, then chat with Doug Phillips here on the forum.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/memb...?29606-DougGuy

BTW: What brass are you using ?
    See: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post4117790
    Last edited by mehavey; 06-16-2019 at 09:33 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Mostly star line and 3D and WOW, a finishing reamer is $115 from Brownells. Anybody know of a good one that is cheaper?

Brownells is a great investment -- if you have 3-or-4 45-Colt cylinders that needed it (like I had)
    Otherwise, chat w/ Doug.

BTW: You may also be fighting a bullet profile problem (I'm using SAECO's 420 and 446)

What are you casting ?
    Last edited by mehavey; 06-16-2019 at 10:12 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Sent him a PM

Boolit Mold
    I actually buy my cast bullets from Missouri Bullet Company. Will it hurt anything to shoot .427 bullets in a .429 bore ?? I pulled a factory bullet tonite , checked the size and it was .4275 . I turned around and loaded it into a sized and trimmed case I had ready and it chambered like a dream in all 6 chambers.

If your grove diameter is .429 and you shoot .427 sized boolits through it, you will very likely get a lot of lead in the barrel and have poor accuracy. I would probably go with .430 and maybe a little different nose profile.
    WWG1WGA

I actually buy my cast bullets from Missouri Bullet Company.
    If you're truly stuck w/ "store-bought" bullets and less-than-optimal-diameter, get them as soft as you can, and you the fastest powder you can.

But let's hope Doug can point you to the eight folks to hone the cylinder to cast specs.

(BTW: has anyone run a pin gauge (or a soft very-slightly-flattened lead roundball) through the cylinder mouths to see what you're dealing with?)

Boolit Master
    If they chamber don't size them ,maybe I'm just lazy .

I have sized .0459" down to 0.452" with good results, just depends on the bullet. The TL designs will lose most of their tiny little grooves, so not the best.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast