Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got myself a retirement present

Boolit Master

Got myself a retirement present

After 35 years, I've decided throw in the sponge, at least at my day job. Since the USDA isn't known for retirement presents, I went out to get my own. Sorry for the gloat.Attachment 243673
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Congratulations. Very nice. Looks a lot like mine. I'll bet you have fun with that.

Boolit Master

Congratulations! Very nice.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Banned
    Go ahead and gloat, you've probably earned it

Boolit Master
    I would gloat too....
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

Good looking machine there. Does the Id Tag give the build date for it. Im assuming the gibs are tight and have adjustment left. 9X42 0r 9X48 table on it?

Boolit Master
    Congratulations on your well deserved retirement. You do know you will have to get catalogs from MSC (manhattan supply co) And travers tool. Getting a lathe and a decent mill is only half the story. Then comes the tooling. Have fun. Frank

Boolit Master
    The mill is the cheap part, wait a while and see what stacks up next to it!

Boolit Master

My address is.... Nice, there are alot of little projects to keep ya busy with that. Enjoy.

Boolit Grand Master

Dates of manufacture here http://www.lathes.co.uk/Bridgeport/page8.html

If you need to do any work on it this is an excellent book.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-16-2019 at 01:27 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Good looking machine there. Does the Id Tag give the build date for it. Im assuming the gibs are tight and have adjustment left. 9X42 0r 9X48 table on it?
    It was made is '89, 48" table and came with a Newell DRO. Came out of a prototype shop in Florida. I doubt it has a couple hundred hours on it. It's a replacement for a Lagun FT-1 I've use for the last twenty years. Originally was looking for an Excello, but this BP was about as new as I've ever seen and it JUST was getting unloaded at the dealer and frankly couldn't/wouldn't pass on it. I'm not affiliated with them of course, but if your in the Brookpark area, outside of Cleveland, check out McKean Machinery. I've been dealing with them for 25 years and they have been great resource for to get rid of any excess money I have laying around.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Banned
    I'm happy for you. Great Mill. Enjoy the hell out of it.

Boolit Master
    Nice piece! When I looked at the picture I thought the table looked big, I was thinking 10x54. I'm always a little envious of people that live where good equipment can be bought used. Where I live all used machine shop equipment is pretty well used up before it gets on the secondary market.

Enjoy!!
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Moderator Emeritus

I don't remember you getting me anything when I went out on a disability retirement

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Hey gloat away i might. I always worked in small job shops or tool and die where i could use the machinery after work was able to do a lot on my guns. Now that i don't work anymore i no longer have access to the machinery. So i dream of having a mill and lathe maybe even a small surface grinder. May not happen but i still dream. Hope you really enjoy it looks like a nice mill.

Congratulations on your retirement Jeff. I'm hanging it up the end of next month. Like you, 35 years is enough. Time to pick up where I left off. Guns I got, and a few fishing poles (which for the record, I can't fish worth a hoot anyway). That, and picking & grinnin'.

I admire your skill in operating mills & lathes. I haven't a clue about them but know a fella can make a lot of neat stuff if he's skilled in them.

Again, congratulations and enjoy my friend.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    Congrats on your retirement and acquiring the Bridgeport.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master

At Campbells we bought a Bridgeport mill that had been in a prototype shop at a sister company. This mill was roughly 8 years old Hardened and chromed gibs and ways. 9 X 48 scraped in table Mitutoyo read out 2 hp J2 head. all it had machined was nylon plastic parts. This machine was more accurate than some jig bores were.
    With most metal working machines the machine is the cheapest part, tooling adds up quick, but if your good you can make most of what you need. I have a boring head here my grandfather made back in the 40s. Along with tools Grandpa Dad and I have made. Its amazing what can be done with a lathe mill and grinder

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Great choice of gifts. I would have liked to have gotten one of these or something similar but I don't know how I would have gotten it in the door of my laundry room/work shop.

By necessity, I had to get smaller foot print machines. Is that run by 3-phase or single phase. 3-Phase would have presented another problem I would have run into.

HollowPoint

Boolit Grand Master

Rotate head 180* ( so motor is down towards table) remove table and a bridge port will go thru most standard doors. Wont be a lot of room but it should go. .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast