Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got myself a retirement present

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HollowPoint View Post
    Great choice of gifts. I would have liked to have gotten one of these or something similar but I don't know how I would have gotten it in the door of my laundry room/work shop.

By necessity, I had to get smaller foot print machines. Is that run by 3-phase or single phase. 3-Phase would have presented another problem I would have run into.

HollowPoint
    Three phase is a plus these days instead of a problem, simply get a VFD to control it with and you will have upgraded to smooth variable speed with instant reverse and dynamic braking capabilities! VFDs are the cat's meow when it comes to machinery with three phase motors.

Jeff if you feel like gloating then go right ahead, you just finished a lifetime of working to earn that privilege. I did the same thing when I retired, bought a new 14x40 lathe and a used J-head BP along with a bunch of extras I figured I would need, turn tables, boring head, etc but of course I never even figured close and I am constantly on the look-out for new tooling. Keep a check on E-Bay for some real deals, a lot of people try to unload their worn out junk (trashed end mills, etc) there but there is a tremendous lot of new stuff that often goes for a fraction of dealer asking prices. Over the last few years I have accumulated a tool box full of various brand name new end mills and other cutters for a fraction of what places like MSC (Dang I still miss ENCO!) get for the exact same thing and brands like OSG, Niagara, Cleveland, etc can be found for less than the worthless Chinese junk. Chinese machinery may be ok for the price but their tooling is a joke.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Grand Master

A lot of the bridge port size tooling is available and some can be had pretty reasonably compared to new costs. A rotary table and chuck can be a big investment. a dividing head and tail stock can be reasonable since most don't want to learn to use them. The smaller indexers for collets can be quite handy and in off shore made reasonable. Actual brideport attachments for the machine hang on. In 35 years Ive only seen 1 of the key seater, shaper attachments.

As to tooling the various indicators ( I prefer a back dial in the mill) Indicator holders, sine bars, vises, angle plates, strap clamps, t nuts, studs, adjustable blocks, Parallels both straight and angled, and other assorted tooling can be found often or made. The big one to watch closely are mill vises a lot have been over tightened and sprung.

I consider end mills drills to be expendibles to be used up. A small table top cutter grinder can extend the life of end mills a lot. Oils cutting fluids brushes also fall into expendables

Boolit Buddy
    Great Present! Congratulation on your retirement!

I'm a little envious. Sure would be great to have the space and budget to get a nice Bridgeport. Good for you!

I have an older and beat-up Rong Fu RF-30 round column machine. I was able to shoe horn it into my basement (ramp and cable winch). It was from an estate, and was cheap at $350. I haven't set it up yet, need to build a base for it. And buy tooling. And a Lathe. And more, and more $$$.

My first project is going to be a simple plate steel Check Maker, 1 1/2" plate welded to 3/4" plate with a .035" gap. The plates are welded together, still need to drill holes and make the punch and forming mandrels. Going to make the forming mandrel with a HSS tool bit in the vise, and turning the mandrel (round stock) in a collet.

Have fun,
    JM
    Last edited by JM7.7x58; 06-16-2019 at 03:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    Sweet! Saving my "shekels" for a similar machine.
    Jealous for now.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Grand Master

The one I just purchased for my shop is a series 1 head pulley drive and anihiem read out. But I also got a full set of tooling cutters and collets with it. Also a 12 X40 clausing lathe and tooling. last from the friends shop is a 6X18 surface grinder. He still has a 16X40 Nardini lathe

Boolit Bub
    Enjoy your retirement and new machine!

Boolit Master
    And now the fun begins.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    last from the friends shop is a 6X18 surface grinder.
    I have been yearning for a surface grinder lately, never even used one except for just playing around with one once but the gree,,,,,,,err uh, need for one is certainly there. I got a tool post grinder last year for the lathe (and a good cover to protect the ways!) and it turns out that I have actually used that thing a lot more than I thought I would and the more I have considered the surface grinder the more need I see for it also, it's an addiction and there simply is no end to it!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master

You can usually find a 612 Deluxe Boyar-Schultz fairly cheap. Easy enough to do the routine maintenance. Avoid the 612 Challenger, belt drive vs direct. They are not the same machine. A surface grinder is like a pickup, you can't hardly get along without one once you have one.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master

Congratulations on a well earned retirement. I would say that you have the right to gloat! At least a little! Nice mill by the way!

Boolit Master

Nice one...have a safe retirement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12