RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waste of Time Yard Sale This Morning

Boolit Master

Being excessive compulsive, I have everything, but I still feel the urge to buy MORE.
    I guess I need to shoot more to use it all up????
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Being excessive compulsive, I have everything, but I still feel the urge to buy MORE.
    I guess we all are, at least a little! Who among us could pass up a bucket of weights, a bar of solder or a Linotype pig?

Boolit Master

I CAN!!!! I have reached SATURATION and will buy no more. I have more than I will EVER shoot for the rest of my life. I cannot justify the purchase of another thing.

Right now, my condition is RED. When I hunt, if I shoot it I eat it. When my freezer is full I have to stop hunting - as if that is ever going to happen - so I have to find someone to whom I give away enough meat to allow me to continue to hunt.

Well, I am not in a giving mood with my shooting and hunting EQUIPMENT, RELOADING MACHINES, GUNS, and vast array of reloading components. I took time, effort, and MONEY to amass this stuff and only DEATH, TAXES, and some judicious salesmanship is going to deprive me of it into the future.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I find more old rolls of solder than anything else at yard sales. The only thrift store left in the area that has pewter is pricing it based on "asked" not "sold" prices from eBay so it is pretty over priced. I had to put batteries in my scale and start weighing to avoid over paying. Too high priced for a margin of error when it "feels like a pound" and turns out to be only .70 of a pound. Much of this overpriced stuff already looks like it was kicked across the parking lot to keep wife from wanting to keep it when one brings it home. I guess that means it is an "antique".

Fortunately I have been collecting it for years along with solder so am not hurting for tin. I have yet to really see any reloading stuff at yard or estate sales but I don't get to all that many. Mostly just when running errands and happen to see a sign.

Figuring out what one "needs" vs. what one "wants" vs. what one finds at a really good price that still ties up financial resources that could be used to deal with a need or at least an established want. I have started coming down on the side of NOT buying something just because I might either make a few bucks on the deal or think someone I may know might need this so I'll buy it just in case.

There are exceptions of course. Price is low enough that the few dollars is just not much of a gamble. I know it has a high value and high demand and the price is really low. I always wanted one My weakness is camping equipment. I have enough, I have backpacked, canoe camped, car camped, and RV camped. My accumulated gear is beyond my needs or even ability to use as I have gotten older and yet... Only $3 for that Coleman lantern! Three years later and I still lament the Coleman 1 burner Peak stove for $8 that I didn't buy. Wife is long suffering in this regard.

I have seen a few firearms for sale at a couple of sales but that is uncommon. Long guns only since pistol requires paperwork to properly transfer owner of record most don't want the hassle. Did have a friend picked up a Handi Rifle in 44 mag for $150 at a garage sale which is pretty good. Maybe if and when I retire I'll start doing estate sales, assuming I have any money for such things and haven't accumulated all the junk I require to meet my needs by then.

Consumables would get my attention more than most gear. Although a nice single stage press or good scale might tempt me. But even a 505 scale for say $25 is $25 I don't have to spend because I bought a scale I don't actually need. I'm not getting smarter in my old age but am gaining experience in what doesn't work so well.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master
    I sold my last MEC about 8 years ago. Once you start using a good machine, they lose their appeal quickly. But they are good for guys who do not shoot much. The only single stage shotshell reloaders I now have are a pair of PW 375's. Need to sell one as I never use it. The other is used for 28 ga hunting loads.
    Don Verna

Banned
    I stopped at two garage sales this morning, found nothing useful and was not disappointed. I rarely do. Then I stopped at a local antique shop, rarely do I ever find anything remotely useful in them though it is still fun to look.
    I ended up with another knife, a Red Dot powder can and a brand new, never unboxed Pacific/Hornaday powder scale. A model that I don't have. Even better the asking prices of nearly everything in the store was better than reasonable.
    I think I had a good day.
    Ken

One never knows. On an impulse I stopped at a place over lunch. Walked out with 7# of pewter for less than $20. Only problem is some is sort of nice for making into puddles. Will have to consider those pieces a bit.... while I melt the rest of it. Not having a shortage of tin for casting OR a shortage of pewter candle holders and Knick knacks it is a toss up what will become of the nicer items.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I don't do much yard saleing anymore.
    Just mostly a waste of time...never find any gun related stuff the last 5-10 years.
    Once upon a time here in Pennsylvania, it seemed every yard sale had a few old guns for sale but that dried up years ago.

Nowadays, I find the best deals are at auctions. I just attended one in Gettysburg yesterday where I managed to get a few good buys on firearm related things.
    I managed to get 250 rounds of 12ga #6 factory shot shells for $12, a brand new set of
    RCBS carbide .357Mag/.38Spl dies for $28. The LGS has them stacked up on the shelves at $59.99. I also got a brand new set of RCBS 7mm Mag dies for $21 and an RCBS .243 neck sizer for $32(not a great deal but still less than I could find it online, so I saved a couple bucks, didn't have to pay shipping and I have it in hand right away). Also got a new edition of the Sierra reloading manual for $8.

The key to good deals at auctions is to know what stuff retails for, whether new or used and to never exceed that. I watch the local gun auction sites for items I want or know I can easily flip. I do a good bit of research, make notes and never let the bidding get me carried away.

Boolit Buddy

Got an e mail from auctioneer about an estate sale being held yesterday. Had reloading items and had to smack myself and keep repeating "have all I need".

Quote Originally Posted by owejia View Post
    Got an e mail from auctioneer about an estate sale being held yesterday. Had reloading items and had to smack myself and keep repeating "have all I need".
    Hahaha! Too funny! Oh wait you were serious?

I skipped an estate sale that had listed a couple of three hole Lee turret presses set up for 9mm. The powder measures and primer feed were of interest but I would have needed them to practically throw in the presses which I don't need. Only need a full size O single stage press to upgrade a couple of smaller C presses I use. So I talked myself out of going. But even I wouldn't have believed me if I had tried to sell me on the idea of having all I need.

Knowing prices and sticking to them is key for any auction, be it estate or eBay. That and knowing what the items value is to you. I don't load 9mm so even a really good price on a high end set of dies isn't a good deal for me. A less high end set at $15 so I gain he ability to load 9mm if the occasion arises for a friend or family has a certain value to me. High end set for $28 would be a pretty good deal too. Considering it could be sold easily to recover price paid or used if needed. At $38 I probably wouldn't buy it. Too close to what I could get a Lee set new for which is what would probalby happen if occasion arose to load 9mm and I didn't have a used die on hand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12