Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45 ACP fastest powders

Banned
    45 ACP RedDot 4.1grn 452-230-2R-TL 0.452

I load "blind load tests for a friend. this is the preliminary 45 ACP test
    2 powders/loads got "perfect scores"
    Last edited by Conditor22; 06-17-2019 at 08:28 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I run 231 exclusively in .45 acp
    I'll second that

Boolit Master
    As an addendum to my earlier comment, I decided to get a Ransom Rest to settle doubts in my mind regarding the other fast powders I have for use in .45 ACP target loads. I loaded a pile of stuff using Bullseye, Red Dot, Clays, 231, and even a couple loaded with PB- all pushing a 200 grain RCBS SWC clone of the H&G 68, WW alloy not HT'ed or quenched. All low-level "target" loads (think 4 grains B'eye and equivalents). It was a grueling but fun weekend working with my Colt Series-70 Gold Cup. Results were as expected-- they all worked good. 25 yard averages were in the 1˝"-2˝" range, with all powders contributing both "tight" and "loose" groups indiscriminately- way far better than I can shoot off my hind legs. Conclusion: use up the Bullseye first because, well, I just like it.

Boolit Master

Clays, 700X, Bullseye & Unique...

Boolit Master
    Living in Vihtavuori country,I have used all their powders,being active for the last 30 years.

In 45ACP I have used all their appropriate pistol powders and 150-255 grain bullets. After 20 years of tweaking I have settled on VV N320 and 185-230 grain weights. I only shoot cast in 45ACP.

My latest mold, a Mihec 200 HP ,Hi Tek coated is giving me plain ridiculous accuracy, I can shoot clays on the berm @ 50 yds without getting frustrated. Barrel stays very,very clean.

N320 was the fastest (officially) recommended powder for 45ACP by Vihtavuori for a long time. They have included N310 later, for example my 2004 manual does not list N310 for 45ACP. I tried it of course,nothing bad about N310. I just prefer the N320 feel plus I have good accuracy loads with N320.

Banned
    Petander, you're lucky to live in Vihtavuori country because on this side of the pond Vihtavuori's fine products tend to be a bit expensive !

They do make some great powder.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PowPow View Post
    Ramshot Competition and VV N310 work well for cast 185gr and 200gr SWC. I ran out of Bullseye back when it was hard to find powders, so I was forced to pick up some alternates. I'd have to say that the Ramshot powder is my favorite. It shoots better for me than Bullseye, and it's cheaper than everything else out there (except maybe Shooters World, but their load data is lacking). The nice thing about the Ramshot powders (and other Western Powders in general) is they have really good cast boolit load data. This on its own is friendly to our community here, so I feel it's worth mentioning.

I do get really good results with my VV N310 .45acp loads, but VV's problem is price. I also worked up .45acp loads for 231, 700X, and Red Dot - all very good powders. The one powder that I have that I haven't tried in .45acp is CFE Pistol. I like it for 9mm though.
    I'm interested in knowing where you find it cheaper. Looking at Powder Valley, Ramshot Comp is $139.95 for an 8 lb jug, and Shooter's World Clean Shot is $91 for 5 lbs, which works out to over $145 for 8 lbs. Bullseye, Red Dot, Promo, 700x, Titegroup, Titewad and a handful of others are cheaper than either of those, from the same source.

Bullseye is THE powder for my .45s since 1976. Just because it worked so well the first time I tried it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Bullseye is THE powder for my .45s since 1976. Just because it worked so well the first time I tried it.
    Yup, it ain't broke....no need to fix it.......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    I'm interested in knowing where you find it cheaper. Looking at Powder Valley, Ramshot Comp is $139.95 for an 8 lb jug, and Shooter's World Clean Shot is $91 for 5 lbs, which works out to over $145 for 8 lbs. Bullseye, Red Dot, Promo, 700x, Titegroup, Titewad and a handful of others are cheaper than either of those, from the same source.
    Shooters World has often been cheaper than Ramshot Comp when you factor in all of the market-building promo discounts they've been doing. Like I said, "except maybe". YMMV I do shop specials, close-outs, etc. I think I got my last jug of Ramshot Comp for $15/lb 2 years ago.
    SAF Patron (Life) | GOA (Life) | NRA Benefactor (Life) | MSRPA (Life)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Petander, you're lucky to live in Vihtavuori country because on this side of the pond Vihtavuori's fine products tend to be a bit expensive !

They do make some great powder.
    Over here we pay twice the US price for Vihtavuori powders...

Global economy is a strange thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12