Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info H&R 357 Rem Hax Handi rifle please.

Thumbs down Info H&R 357 Rem Hax Handi rifle please.

Howdy gents.I have tried Google and could not find any information on the H&R 357 Rem Max.Could you please let me know what the twist rate is. On the inscription on the barrel there is a P encircled just after the caliber description.Does it mean +P! Thank you..
    PS/Typo not Hax but Max.
    Last edited by Kudufant; 06-15-2019 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Typo in heading

Boolit Master
    Nope, there's no .357 Max +P. I'm pretty sure the .357 Max still carries the pressure spec that .357 Mag originally carried though, so no need for +P.
    I've never actually seen a factory produced H&R in .357 Max. But it almost certainly has the same twist as their .357 Mag barrels, which I believe are 1:16".

The only 357 Max Handi's that I have ever heard of were reamed 357 Mags...

Boolit Master
    Kudu. -

Howdy!

I had one that was factory- made. Originally came w/ a straight grip walnut/ walnut laminated
    stock.

The brochure that came w/ the “carbine” showed a cover drawing depicting the gun as having a pistol grip Monte Carlo stock.

I called H&R to protest my gun’s stock configuration, citing “Truth in advertising”.
    They had me send the Max back to them, where upon the outfitted it w/ a perfectly matching
    Lam/ lam butt stock as was depicted on the brochure drawing.

I had hope to campaign the gun in area “Score shoots”, in factory class. But, it was not to be.
    That particular Max was THE most in-accurate gun I had ever shot / loaded for.
    No mater what powders, bullets/booklist tried, nothing shot what I would call even remotely well.

I could not get bullets to reach the rifling, even when seated to the point of nearly falling out of the case!

Sold the Max, and upgraded to a Marlin M-336XLR. .35Remington, when I heard Marling was sellin’ out to Remington. That rifle shoots superbly, and is the best “ factory “- made rifle I ever bought!

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Master

Very easy to tell the twist rate. Tight patch a ruler and a magic marker.

Insert tight patch in barrel with rod. Mark a line to count revolutions. Push rod in barrel and begin counting. When one revolution has turned mark rod. Remove and measure between the lines.

I seem to remember both 1:16 & 1:18.5”.

The circle P is just a proof mark

They absolute did make factory MAXI H&R’s I have ine my buddy has one and another friend on line has one.

Great lil rifles! If your gonna hot load it remember many of there has soldered barrels. Dont hot rod them.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Right you guys are...I'm guessing it was a rarer model...Twist rates according to the GBO forum...

.357 Mag 1 in 18¾" or 1:15½"
    .357 Maxi 1 in 18¾"

Thanks for all the info.Maybe yours was a Friday afternoon job or Monday morning !? Could it be "paying forward" for insisting on the stock and grip,however I have red that that they do have loooong throats.Thank you for your input 357 mag

Thanks cw but can you please explain about the soldered barrels please .
    I do not have this rifle on hand and consider to buy it of a website.If you will be so kind,can you please measure the total chamberlength up to where the groove start. What groups can be achieved with casts at 100 yds.? Much appreciated.
    Last edited by Kudufant; 06-16-2019 at 04:35 AM. Reason: I don't like typos but they do like me

Eric123, some time ago,as long as the throat of the H&R357RemMax,there was even a 300BLK available and I would swim from Cuba to your shores and the first objective would have been one of them and then asylum.:/)

There is a bit of sentiment,my dad's first rifle was a H&R 22 semi auto bought around 1959.He did not like the peepsight and the motto of the "Boor makes a plan" prevail. Just cut himself a v rear sight out of a thin steel band and arc weld it on.Then lightly tapping and shooting the windage was ajusted."Since then it was a much better rifle." When winter arrive it was time to kill a longhorn and pig for jerky,suasages and other cuts.Saw him take them down in the herd at 40 paces just free standing.All frontal brain shots, dropped in their tracks.
    I think the problem with the peepsight arised when they started on the farm and there was no money for poultry pens so they were free range and you have to run after them in open spaces,so the help of doctor H&R was consulted to settle the matter.
    It was also the rifle I cut my first shooting tooth on.
    Good memories.
    Last edited by Kudufant; 06-16-2019 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Typos
    One man one vote has brought change... From the 4th lowest crime rate in the world to...
    The 4th highest,and watch out soon #1
    The time it took to punch in these few words...
    3 Wemon has been raped and 1 person murdered.
    Is this why some gentleman from Europe said:
    "In Africa you must be cruel to be kind"?

Boolit Master

The lug that holds the barrel to the gun is silver soldered not welded on the early 258/158 guns. The steel isnt quite what the SB2 was but its better than the SB1.

Its just something to be aware of if your a handloader. Just back off tge heaviest loads. The Maxi can be loaded to nearly 50K in some loads but low 40’s are a better place to be with these pre SB2 guns.

CW

Another weak spot on the pre 1987 handi rifles is the stud for the forend screw. The stub is spot welded to the barrel and can be broken off without a lot of effort. I know this from experience.

BB

There is a SB2 available but according to CW this is more or less the top of the crop.So if you want some accuracy,you might have to send it to the gunsmith to shorten it,maybe re-chamber,move the lug and maybe some re-blue.All in all I might rather look for something different.The .22 my dad bought was a reliable accurate workhorse but the max seems if it is not Wright,it is trouble.Just wonder why the throats are so deep,could it be for some pressure relief or was that just the way.I believe more than 80% of all reloaders know the closer to the groove the better,so such an old manufacturer surly would have known better?
    One man one vote has brought change... From the 4th lowest crime rate in the world to...

Boolit Master

The deeper throats where just something common in the H&R. In the 357 MAGNUM it was NOT uncommon for guys to be able to shoot Dan Wesson brass!!! Some xould even chamber the MAXIMUM!!!!!

As to the soldered lug. I have been shooting mine for a couple decades with 1680 and a 180ssp @ 2000+ fps and its working just fine. Im sorry if I put some fear in you about it. Its something to know as many feel velocity is where its at and like to push things. Just knowing and working with that in mind it will likely last lifetimes.

BTW, Your not likely to find experienced gun smiths who will remove and re weld a lug to a old barrel. But its also quite likely NOT needed.

CW

Thanks CW,no fear at all but I would like a rifle to print moa or less at 100y. Thats just me.Moving on from there to cast bullets change the pattern again.Now that's what I really want to do with the Handi but I don't want to end up at 6 inches.

Boolit Master

My 357 mag Handi wouldn't shoot 357 mags for anything. I bought some 360 DW brass and it chambered easily. I was able to seat boolits out to 357 max lengths before they touched the rifling. My barrel was on an SB1 frame that had primer flow problems that would lock up the action. I could free it up by dry firing it after a shot, but something in the action broke after only a couple hundred rounds, keeping the transfer bar from working properly. I shelved it and eventually ponied up for a Ruger 77/357. Not a max, but I like it much better.

With my centiment towards H&R it seems time to move on.Did any of you have any experience with CAV?Seems like a good rifle,By looks a favour the Scout but they only have it in 44 mag and 444 marlin.Dont know how I would get it here,so much red tape, guess it's a two year operation.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had several H&R rifles chambered in 357 Mag/Max. Even those with Linda Lovelace throats can be loaded to shoot well. Enter the Hornady 200gr FTX loaded to a COAL that allows more powder capacity and less jump to the rifling. Mine got MOA all day long using AA1680. PM me whenever you decide to part with your barrels and I'll make shooters of them all.

Thanks, Dinny
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Thomas Paine

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinny View Post
    I've had several H&R rifles chambered in 357 Mag/Max. Even those with Linda Lovelace throats can be loaded to shoot well. Enter the Hornady 200gr FTX loaded to a COAL that allows more powder capacity and less jump to the rifling. Mine got MOA all day long using AA1680. PM me whenever you decide to part with your barrels and I'll make shooters of them all.

Thanks, Dinny
    +1...

For a guy who can get any gun I choose. I choose the Handi rifle chambered in ANY of the rimmed cartridges as my ARMAGEDDON guns. I have 6 mated pairs. I mate 44, 357 and 30-30 to 12 GA and 410 shotgun barrels and my pistols are matched to those sets in 357 and 44.

My truck set accounted for 2 deer, 3 hogs last year. And it brings me a level of comfort to have a kit that can do just about everything. Will post a pic later. Keep it. It will serve you well.

From Left to right...

Taurus 357 38 with 9mm Cylinder
    357 Max with XS front and rear with med and fine peeps
    12 GA cut to 18 and a Modified choke JB welded in
    410 cylinder bore with rifle sights...Tree Top surgical

Ammo:
    360DW Hornady XTP FP 158 behind 20 grains of Lil gun groups POA at 100 yards with the 180 WFN grouping POA at 50 yards
    357 180 WFN behind 6 grains of unique
    12 GA #4
    410 #6
    9mm Ball

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3328.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	244145

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3327.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	244146
    Last edited by bluejay75; 06-25-2019 at 10:21 PM.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

I'm with Bluejay.

Started with a .300BO complete with black composite stocks. It is sort of become my universal donar. Everything locks up on it. So it is in a case with a 9mm stubb job and a 12 ga barrel. I have a Hipoint C9 pistol I can pair with it.

Then a .30-30/20 ga combo walked in my door. 20 ga has never been fired. .30-30 I would say had less than a box through it. I put a Red Dot sight on it and tried 3 of the .30-30 loads I had worked up for my Win 94.
    It stacked them up, decidedly unfussy. 20 ga barrel got some punkin ball loads, some buck shot, some bird shot added to the case. And then I picked up a 20 ga to .45acp 18" rifled chamber adapter. Still need some more work dialing this in.
    I was indexing it but I may need to rotate to find the best sweet spot. I also might need a bit more support at the far end.
    They all were on paper at 25 yards but they tended to be all over the paper.

I have a pair of .44mag handi's I might need to find shotgun barrels for. One has wood furniture, it got a 2x Red Dot sight.
    Other is black composite, it got a spare 1.5x5 variable I had laying around. At 75 yards its a dead tossup. They both stack bullets into single ragged holes. At 100 yards the increased accuracy of the scope starts coming into play.

I also have 2 new long chamber adapters to test, 18" long, rifled, 20 ga to 9mm and 12 ga to .357. With cutouts for removing brass. Can be turned so extractor does not move the adapter. But these need testing yet.

Last is a little 6" .410 to .32sw long adapter. Don't know if I can use this with my Mossberg bolt .410 or if I need to find one of those Yildiz break action .410's. But it would make a perfect match with either my H&R 732 snub nose dbl action or the Ruger NM Single Six in .32H&R mag (that I have only shot .32sw longs through) But it shoots those REAL well.

Boolit Master

Many of us did this over on GBO years ago. Then decided that the accuracy issues with swappin just didnt meet with our needs. On a **** scenario. Sure its fine and nice package!

I like a 410 allot, but a 12 makes better sence simply for findin shells. So a SAVAGE 410ER, is my choice.

Also the 357 Maxi cause it can shoot so many cartritages. With a modification to the ejector, one could make it shoot the various auto cartritages as well. No they would not head space properly...

Exact same could be said for the 327 Magnum. A caliber H&R never produced. But one along with the 7/30 Waters that would have been. ERY VERY Well received.

But its **** thinkin and they would not be unsafe, just maybe unreliable.

CW

Why is **** Obliterated??
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 06-30-2019 at 11:33 AM. Reason: language filter bypass

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast