Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .45/70 300 gr. bullets

Boolit Mold
    I would go with the 300 gun jackets soft point or hollow point. I shoot both from my TC Contender Pistol in 45-70. I load with IMR 4198. My loads are running approx 1300 fps through chrono. It is not a fast load but I have not had any Oklahoma whitetail walk off with one in them. If I can shoot in the Contender with 14" barrel, it should be a great load with the rifle. I shoot same load in my Sharps sometimes when others want to shoot it.
    Mike
    You don't quit playing because you grow old, you get old because you quit playing.

Boolit Master
    The 300 gr. RCBS gc boolits were undersized and not accurate in my Marlin '95 or my C. Sharps with Badger barrel, the Lyman Gould was/is much better and is just a bit bigger.

I HAD that very rifle. Mine was very fun indeed! My discovery of what was called the "cavalry" load of 55 grains 2Fg powder behind Lee's 405 grain hollow base boolit was and is very fun to shoot!

My Trapdoor carbine load is exactly that load. My Trapdoor carbine is lighter then the Winchester Maroku model 1885, 28 inch tapered octagonal barrel. I had carved a piece of shoe heel dense foam to fill in the curved steel buttplate and covered it with a laced up leather buttpad/sleeve purchased from Buff Arms in Idaho.

Very fun rifle and shot lights out at 100 yds with a 3x9 Leopold scope. That light Cavalry load is tons o fun and a easy shooter.

I loaded the boolit out to just engrave the ogive on my SPG lubed Lee hollow base 459-405 boolit. This is no long range load ... but I would be surprised if ANY deer, Elk or moose any where can withstand a solid shoulder blade/joint hit with it.

I would gass em up a bit for bear ... only to cover a bad hit and allow em to get excited. Then a 70 through 80 grain load of the same 2Fg powder will give plenty of gas for bear. Dont need much more but to practice practice practice.

I would have the kid shoot lotza these lite loads offhand and get used to them and the push before giving him a bench to get loads worked up for his rifle.

What a grand rifle n load to have a lil one make his/her first harvest with! As said above ... a memorie that will never leave him.

Solid high shoulder hit is a dinner plate target. Easy shot at 100 yds. Just get him to 100 yards is all and ensure he can hit a dinner plate out to that 100 yard mark.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12