Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Winchester 1886 Extra light

Boolit Buddy

Winchester 1886 Extra light

I have been considering a 45-70 lately and the Winchester/Miroku 1886 extra light seems a good candidate. I like the fact they are drilled and tapped if needed. And also they have a flat butt stock. Who has one here? How do they shoot?

Boolit Buddy
    I have one that was converted to another calibre before I purchased it. I subsequently used the 45/70 barrel to build a 45/90. The barrel profile of the Extra Light is identical to that used by Miroku on the Browning 1886 SRC model, so it's quite lean. The Extra Light and the B1886 barrels have a near identical groove diameter of around 0.457 even though they were produced at least 10 years apart. Accuracy from the original 1886 EL barrel or the B-1886 barrel, despite being quite thin, is superb. As you can imagine it's quite lively with stiff loads, but that's to be expected.

If you like a straight grip stock I think the EL is probably an ideal configuration for a hunting rifle. The only downsides are the tang safety and rebounding hammer (which the Browning doesn't have).

FWIW Pedersoli are now producing a model they call the '1886 Light' and it has similar dimensions to the Win 1886 EL but it comes without a tang safety or rebounding hammer. If I was in the market for another 45/70 I'd certainly take a close look at one of those. The problems associated with earlier production have been resolved and I haven't heard of issues with their current production 86/71 or 1886 models.

Boolit Master
    They can be superbly accurate. These were fired at 114 measured yards at my camp off my deck.
    Attachment 243663Attachment 243664

Boolit Buddy
    Thats good shooting. I also see that you can find the Win/Miroku 1886 Short rifle now and then. So that could be on the radar also. Not too crazy about the buttplate though. Im also considering a Henry Color Case Hardened. I saw a Henry CCH in a pistol caliber and it was nicer than I thought.

Boolit Master
    Get the Win/Miroku and send it out (take it actually, it's close by to get it done).

Attachment 243678Attachment 243679Attachment 243680Attachment 243681Attachment 243682

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Get the Win/Miroku and send it out (take it actually, it's close by to get it done).

Attachment 243678Attachment 243679Attachment 243680Attachment 243681Attachment 243682
    Is that the same barrel profile as the Win/Miroku short rifle offered today? 24 inch barrel?

Boolit Grand Master

With reasonable loads they are a real shooter, but don't try the hot loads unless you can stand RECOIL! I converted all of ours to non rebounding hammers and this gave more uniform hammer strike. Helps with accuracy especially with Black.

Boolit Master
    None of the loads I shoot out of any of my 45-70's are "heavy hitters". My favorite loads are 400g bullets around 1350-1450fps and to date I haven't recovered a single bullet from a dozen or so deer shot with any of them. All have been complete pass-throughs and almost all of them dropped in their tracks. A couple made it twenty yards or so and piled up. I can sit and shoot for fairly long range sessions with them with no trouble. I have decent pads on them and the lever gun pictured came with a flat butt plate. It's the same gun the OP is looking for. The short trapper models aren't nearly as nice in my opinion. FWIW, all the Miroku made guns are outstanding shooters. My 1885 High Wall will shoot ragged holes at a hundred with several loads. I actually like it the best of all the 45-70's I've owned to date.

Beautiful! I assume that's Turnbull's work?

Boolit Master
    Yes, Turnbull. He also did a High Wall for me in 45-70. Both are outstanding shooters and look nice besides.