Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Don't make your Hi-Tek test batches too small

Boolit Man

Don't make your Hi-Tek test batches too small

I was making batches of 1 pound or less to test coatings, I made a bigger batch of 3 pounds and the process suddenly worked so much easier.

I'm thinking the process is not one that scales down too easy.

Boolit Master
    2 to 2.5KG works best
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    6-8 lbs works for me. 8 lbs I give one more minute.

Boolit Buddy
    5 lbs of 9mm fills one of the red containers from the Lee sizing die and is about a perfect batch size for my little oven and a 6ml shot of coating.

Boolit Master
    I coat 5 1/2 pounds in a 4.7 liter round container and use 1 1/2 tea spoons of coating. With this container I have plenty of room to toss and swirl the bullets.

Banned
    The smaller the batch the more critical the measurements become.

Boolit Master
    And if you're testing oven temp/ time there's no reason to bake all that coated six pounds every time.

Just a handful is enough,I also used a "dummy load" when I first started.

Boolit Master
    Lot of interesting views here and I have no doubt they work for those concerned. I have to throw in with Ausglock as I also find 2 to 2.5 KG of coated bullets is ideal size to test, which is pretty good considering my oven and trays only handle this amount. I have found that too much variation from what is normal can and often does give conflicting results eg temp and amount of cast in trays can and will vary the colour and time it takes to cook the coating. All ovens and conditions vary so why put more variation into the process by doing something different each time, a little twigging of our process is fine but in my case varying the amount of cast from your normal amount just takes me back to where I started all those years ago without the advantage of being 5 years younger. For those who are just getting into this coating follow the instructions and advice from those like Hi-Tek Joe Ausglock and some of the other experienced coaters here and find what works for you and your set up and enjoy the ride. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Yep,the same way every time. That's one beauty of Hi Tek,very easy to repeat.

OP is writing about "test batches".

What I mean by "dummy load" is I put ~ five pounds of whatever uncoated boolits in the oven with a handful of coated test ones. You can swirl and coat and dry five pounds but only test with a handful at a time. With the dummies the results are equal to baking the whole 5 lbs lot. The same load for the oven is important.

In my oven,bigger boolits need a little longer bake for the same weight load.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Yep,the same way every time. That's one beauty of Hi Tek,very easy to repeat.

OP is writing about "test batches".

What I mean by "dummy load" is I put ~ five pounds of whatever uncoated boolits in the oven with a handful of coated test ones. You can swirl and coat and dry five pounds but only test with a handful at a time. With the dummies the results are equal to baking the whole 5 lbs lot. The same load for the oven is important.

In my oven,bigger boolits need a little longer bake for the same weight load.
    Yes point taken my friend, That is quiet a good idea, one I never thought of and it would prevent the variations in colour and getting up to temp That I mentioned, I have been so lucky from day one it has worked for me. I guess I have become quiet set in the way I do it because it works for me with my smaller oven. I do like to hear how others find the product. I can relate to the bigger cast taking longer to cook as I find this the case with my 500gr 458s. Regards Stephen