MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2ADvertise here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone tried the carnivore diet?

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds like a diet for someone like me with gout. Been told to leave red meat alone.

Seems to me that keto is a little too strict as a long term diet. The body needs some carbs, our brain is the our biggest consumer of glucose. I can loose weight if I can stay under 150 grams of carbs and eat less than about 1800 calories a day. Ive used a couple calorie counting apps on my phone to get a idea of what I'm putting in my body.

If you are in a mood to lose weight you have to look at your life style, when you eat, why you eat etc. Or a lot of times the weight will come back. I learned I have to watch my night time snacking and stay away from almost anything with corn syrup and overly processed foods.

At home we used to have Monday night diet meetings where we'd talk about diet and watch a couple YouTube videos. You have to weed through some of it but try searching something like "what does sugar do to my body" or upside down food pyramid.
    Recent cast boolit hunts:
    Adult buck, 458 SOCOM 405 grain WFN, Doe 36-225AG
    buck & doe, Accurate Molds 36-225AG Model 94AE
    Russian Boar Accurate Molds 46-405A Marlin 45-70

Vendor Sponsor

If you go in the store, you may notice that all the healthy foods are arranged around the outside. Produce, seafood, meat, dairy, etc. All the processed food is in the center aisles. High fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated vegetable oils, yuck yuck yuck. Read the labels, avoid anything hydrogenated. I got where I don't even need glasses to read the fine print in the ingredients if it takes up half the package to list all the **** in there, put it back. If the ingredients is a small paragraph, it's probably good for you.

Ritz Crackers = bad. Fig Newtons = VERY bad.

Here is a comparison I did with Ritz Crackers and Late July Crackers, same taste, same results cooking with either one. First thing you notice is the size of the ingredients list, second thing you notice is all the **** in the Ritz.

I can use my phone, right there in the store aisle to search for a healthy alternative to anything you see on the shelves. Most times Google will come up with a hit that you can find right there while you are in the store.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throat reaming? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? Shoot me a PM! Also on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Cylinderhone-756429174391912/

Vendor Sponsor

I eat fatty meats b/c I had radiation all to my neck that got my taste buds, saliva glands, epiglottis, it jacked my throat all outta wack and I can't swallow lean meats, it needs to be loose and fatty and it will go right down. Consequently I avoid chicken breast, eye of pork chops, sometimes I have to give the gf a meaty part of a BBQ rib because it's too lean and chewy.

When I was in wallyworld last night I carefully looked over the seafood counter, avoiding the toxic farmed Atlantic Salmon, I found some Steelhead Trout fillets, these are farm raised in the US, and are pretty dang healthy eating from what I could find online. I chose a large fillet that wasn't all pink, it was striped with the lighter fattier portions and that's the one I bought. I'll probably blacken it in a little olive oil and butter, serve it with some fresh asparagus or microwaved fresh corn on the cob, maybe a green salad with pineapple chunks in it.

For breakfast most days I will have one sausage patty, one or two eggs, and a bowl of grits or lately oatmeal with raisins, dried tart cherries and a little brown sugar. No toast and jam, no cinnamon roll, the sausage I found is Swaggerty Farms in walmart, it has no fillers in it and it cooks up without much grease in the pan at all. I add sage and red pepper.

This is how I eat these days, a fatty meat, good veggies, some canned stuff like soups and a sandwich for lunch or a chili dog. I don't think i am a high cholesterol risk, it may be higher than my cardiologist wants but hey I am not going to starve my body into looking like Twiggy to make somebody else happy. I eat to maintain a slim physique, 6'0" 180-185lbs usually, and I can keep it around there. I can eat a small bowl of ice cream at night several nights a week, if I need to drop off a few pounds I take a week off the ice cream.

I did lose weight a few years ago by mixing my International Delights coffee creamer 50/50 with Cashew milk. Cut the calories in half. I still do this, it works.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 06-18-2019 at 11:10 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throat reaming? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? Shoot me a PM! Also on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Cylinderhone-756429174391912/

You’ll save on TP as well...you never hardly go number #2

If it works for you, OP then follow through. I’m not much of a meat eater, but I can eat a whole chicken with no complaints!

Currently I’m reducing carb intake and come July, my next step will be more intense. Focus is on vegetables and lean protein. I’ve also found that my body responds well to intermittent fasting, so I guess that’s also going to be part of it.

Boolit Buddy

Couple of years ago watched a program on local PBS tv, about fasting, intermitting fasting is suppose to be really good for your health according to this program. If memory serves me right, a couple of days a month was what they were advocating for. This study was done in Europe and the US. One of the most interesting things to me was the amount of prescriptions the average male in Europe was on, believe they claimed it was six. That is a lot of prescriptions.

I prefer the omnivore diet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12