Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
PBcastcoLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Romanian Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    I may glas-bed the receiver if I feel like it.
    It looks like one of those M69 Romanian training rifles.
    Please see how it shoots before you glass bed it.
    Cabela's is always overpriced. Glad you grabbed it regardless.
    Congratulations Ken.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Banned
    WILCO, I have an M-69 and this is a completely different rifle. M-69's are rather crude in metal finish and stock work though they shoot well. The workmanship on this rifle is very good for the 1951 time frame and back water country where it was made. It appears to be designed for some type of competition with the extra long, heavy barrel, three sling points, adjustable sights (the front sight hood is missing) and adjustable trigger. It is a single shot.
    I had first thought the trigger was adjustable fore and aft, but no. It is a typical Mauser military type trigger. The trigger pivot pin is a screw with an elliptic shaft, turning the screw adjusts sear engagement to a distinct two stage or a light single stage, whit a lot of over travel.
    The stock is probably birch, it is a nice piece of wood and will refinish well. I have cleaned the exterior of some kind of tacky varnish and it looks ok. There was a lot of light surface rust at some time. I don't have a spare set of rimfire rings to see if they will fit the rear sight grooves.
    But, the barrel. I mined enough lead from it to cast a boolit. I think it's clean though the patches still come out dark. About 12 inches in front of the chamber is a "gap" that is easily felt with a tight patch. I cannot feel a bulge on the outside and without access to a bore scope cannot tell just what is in the bore. I should have three or four coats of finish on the stock by the end of this week, then I can take it to the range.

Ken

Banned
    The Romanian is ready for the range, as soon as it stops raining. The stock is refinished, though it didn't turn out like I had hoped. As an old timer once told me about painting his old truck with a brush, "it looks great from 20 feet".
    The sights are too fine for my eyes and I didn't want to open up the rear notch. Looking around I found the Iron Sighter rings that will clamp on the barrel dovetail. And a Phantom scope would fit in the rings. It works; looks a bit odd. The proof will be in the shootin'.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6364.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	244277

Banned
    Cigur UpDate: This thing really shoots. I removed the rubegoldberg scope as I discovered I can see the iron sights fine. Outdoors in bright light helps. The rifle is very accurate. But, I had sight problems as it was shooting really low and left. Tried adjusting but the rear is jammed.

I took the rear sight off and totally dissembled it removing a fair bit of rust and repairing the bent windage screw and blade slide. Looks like it was dropped long ago. It's all free now, working like it should. I am anxious to get it on paper at 50 yards.

I realized that I had 7 .22 rimfires in the safe that I had never fired. I took them all along and most worked well. Some needed sight or scope problems sorted out, one feels and sounds OK, but won't fire a round.

It was a great time to be on the range again, It has been 15 years since I had time to fire a rifle. Too long.

Ken

Boolit Master

WOW!!! 15 years is a LONG time
    Pleased you found the time

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

It looks interesting. Actually, I fired such a gun some years ago, if I am not mistaken it has some problems with the loading mechanism and if something happens you have to fix it every time. Well, at least you can easily break it into pieces, put it in any safe you can buy on thesimplesurvival, and gather it back in less than 10 minutes. If you are interested in this gun, find more on the internet, I am sure you won't be disappointed with it.
    Last edited by gavviani; 03-27-2021 at 06:06 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12