Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingPBcastco
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Romanian Rifle

Banned

Romanian Rifle

Wasting time in Cabala's this afternoon when I spotted a rather large, long .22 rimfire rifle in sad looking shape. It is a Cugir from Romania, single shot target type rifle. The barrel looks to be nearly 34/36 inches long.
    Price is $300 asking.
    It needs the wood refinished and the metal cleaned though there are a couple of small bare spots where someone used a Brillo pad to remove a small rust spot.

Does any one have any experience with this particular rifle?
    If I decided to get it I need to make a decision by tomorrow afternoon. Why, is another story.

Ken

I can't find much of any info. about a Cugir model with that long and heavy of a barrel.
    I think that it's being alluded to starting in post #10 in this thread, with a possible photo link of one in post #13. --->>> https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=207026

I say alluded because a model with a longer heavier barrel compared to the Model 1955 is mentioned.
    It seems like it's a variation of the Model 1955 which has a 27" barrel and is a single shot, so I think it has similar accuracy, age and build quality.

Here's a page with photos about the Model 1955.--->>> https://www.libertytreecollectors.co...idproduct=6179
    And a thread with some targets fired with a Model 1955.--->>> https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/para...nd-t25507.html
    Last edited by arcticap; 06-14-2019 at 08:58 PM.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Sorry Ken, I never heard of such a thing.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Banned
    Articap, that's it. This one has a date of 1951 though it looks the same.
    That rear sight is "different" as it slides on the dovetail. Also there is numbers along the front of the dovetail, evenly spaced for some kind of reference.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I paid $325 for a 452 CZ ultralux super exclusive last year. It looked like brand new. IMO i would rather buy another of the same CZs before the beat up Rimfire your looking at.

Boolit Buddy
    I've fired a romanian trainer like that. I didn't get to test for ammo preference but with cheap federal from a kneeling position I could ring a 4 in plate indefinitely. It's not bad for what it is. The sights are really nice.

I'd offer them 200. I might maybe go to 250. 300 is more than I'd be willing to pay.

edit: forgot to say at 100 yards. What good is knowing the group size without the range?
    Last edited by PerpetualStudent; 06-15-2019 at 09:49 AM.
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

Why be normal? Buy it.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Bub
    Not familiar with that rifle but I have a Cugir TT-33 mfg'd in 1953 and I'm very impressed with fit, function, finish, and accuracy. My first Romanian firearm and didn't know what to expect but I love it.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Ken I have had 2 the ones I had were great shooters. One fired X's all day long with my granddaughter shooting. She still has it and loves it. The other one was great shooter but not quite the winner the first was.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Well, I'm not sure if this is the same rifle, the description sounds very similar, but there is a single shot Romanian trainer on GB for $139 and no bids. $300 seems a bit high to me given your description of the condition.
    However, and I strongly believe this, cost should not always the deciding factor, sometimes the experience of having owned this, that or the other is worth the cost. People never think about paying hundreds or even thousands of dollars for season tickets to professional sports and in the end all they have is the experience of going to the game. At least, at the end of the day, you still have the rifle plus the experience of owning and shooting it. The, "I've never had, or even seen one of those before" moments are worth a lot in my book.

Dang it!! Now you have me off on another tangent. THANKS A LOT!!
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Banned
    Everyone, thanks for talking me into trying to work out a deal. Cabela's is Cabela's and they are always overpriced. That said just the uniqueness of this rifle makes me want it. Just as uscra112 said, "why be normal".

Ken

Boolit Master

Looking forward to pictures
    MAKE THAT DEAL
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

In my 20's / early 1990's I was working in the local gun shops & one of my coworkers picked up what I recall (and 'net pictures match the fuzzy memory) to be the Romanian M69 mag fed training rifle for next to nothing. The finish was about what you'd expect from a Com-bloc beater, but it was a solid shooter with - as I recall - a chrome-lined bore. Not as refined as the CZ-452 I picked up at around the same time, but probably about on par for plinker accuracy if you left both with iron sights only. Wish I'd bought one then; would probably buy one now if it appeared.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned
    Bigslug, I have one of those Romanian or German training rifles. I have seen them identified both ways. I bought it years ago and just love it. The stock has been stripped and sanded to improve the pistol grip and a trigger over travel screw installed.
    I looked at one today with a $350.00 asking price, ouch.

All: I made the deal and brought the Romanian home. They offered to sell it for 275, I countered with 200. They countered with 250, I countered with 235 and Sold.
    The sliding rear sight is intriguing to why? The trigger blade is adjustable for fore and aft travel. There is a small hole in the stock seen next to the bolt handle to loosen a locking screw to slide the trigger. The trigger is not adjustable for weight of pull or engagement though it is a set trigger. I think the rear sight dovetail will accommodate tip off rings, at least I hope so. The thing is heavy but that long, large diameter barrel makes for a steady offhand hold.
    Currently the stock is scraped and in the shower taking the Easy-Off bath. Next is steam the dents out, restain and finish. It is a hardwood, probably birch. I may glas-bed the receiver if I feel like it. I suppose the serial number means something but hard to tell what. It is 1951 00011.

Ken

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6278.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	243674

Name:	IMG_6273.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	243675

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Well done sir!

I guess I'm just all kinds of eat up. I'd much rather have an old one or an oddball than any plastic stocked cookie cutter rifle.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

I like the looks of that rifle. I have never seen one until now, thanks for the pictures. I like a slightly muzzle heavy rifle and your rifle looks like it would fit the bill. I have an old Winchester Model 67A and it has a slightly muzzle heavy weight(24" barrel) to it and it is one accurate little rifle. james

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Bigslug, I have one of those Romanian or German training rifles. I have seen them identified both ways. I bought it years ago and just love it. The stock has been stripped and sanded to improve the pistol grip and a trigger over travel screw installed.
    I looked at one today with a $350.00 asking price, ouch.

All: I made the deal and brought the Romanian home. They offered to sell it for 275, I countered with 200. They countered with 250, I countered with 235 and Sold.
    The sliding rear sight is intriguing to why? The trigger blade is adjustable for fore and aft travel. There is a small hole in the stock seen next to the bolt handle to loosen a locking screw to slide the trigger. The trigger is not adjustable for weight of pull or engagement though it is a set trigger. I think the rear sight dovetail will accommodate tip off rings, at least I hope so. The thing is heavy but that long, large diameter barrel makes for a steady offhand hold.
    Currently the stock is scraped and in the shower taking the Easy-Off bath. Next is steam the dents out, restain and finish. It is a hardwood, probably birch. I may glas-bed the receiver if I feel like it. I suppose the serial number means something but hard to tell what. It is 1951 00011.

Ken

Name:	IMG_6278.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	243674

Name:	IMG_6273.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	243675
    The Cugir is a solid, though not pretty or finely finished rifle. It is a copy with several features of the German KKW and ES350B rifles. The sliding rear sight allows positioning for the best sight picture/clarity for an individual's eyesight. The German rifles had an "N" mark somewhere in the middle to denote the best location for the average "Normal" person.

Banned
    I am always glad to see a rare old piece go to someone who will take good care of it and appreciate it. Congratulations. It looks like a beauty.

Boolit Buddy
    Good negotiation on the price. It's a good rifle for the price.

I'd see how she shoots before bedding the stock, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

Boolit Grand Master

They are good shooters but when they came on the market I bought them dealer for 89.00 and sold them for 119.00. That is some jump for a used rough surplus rifle. My brother still has one of these and it will shoot 1/2 or less at 50 yards. I made a scope mount and he has a 3-9 Weaver on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast