MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on a generator

Boolit Master

Need advice on a generator

I bought some rural property and won’t have electricity anytime in the near future.

I’m going to need a generator for construction of a cabin, running no more than 2-3 portable power tools at a time, and later powering lights plus a room air conditioner in a structure no more than 256 sq ft.

Any guidance? I know it’s going to be like a gun safe, nobody ever said “why didn’t I buy a smaller one?”

Thanks!

Banned
    Add up the wattage you will need, including the maximum surge wattage needed to start an electric motor (like the compressor of that AC unit).

Quiet is good. If you're going to run it for long periods of time, durability and fuel consumption becomes an issue.

If you need 220 VAC for that AC, plan for that. Some of the smaller units only have 110 outlets.

If gasoline will be your fuel, Honda is hard to beat.

Don't immediately discard the idea of diesel. Those units cost more but burn less fuel and are very durable.

If it's going to be a portable setup, get a big enough cord ! I like using SJ cord with my own ends installed. Keep the cord as big [FAT] (large gauge wire) and as short (overall length) as possible.

If you only need to run lights at night, consider a solar panel, a charge controller and a small battery bank. It doesn't replace the need for a generator but it sure is quieter, sunlight is free and it gives you a little redundancy.

Boolit Master
    If you are going to sink a well I would get at least a 6500-7000 watt unit. Figure 2.5X the full load amps for starting current.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipefitter View Post
    If you are going to sink a well I would get at least a 6500-7000 watt unit. Figure 2.5X the full load amps for starting current.
    Agreed.

It takes a lot of wattage to start a pump and the deeper the well and bigger the motor - the more you will need. You don't want to burn up a pump due to low voltage. It's cheaper to buy a bigger generator than to replace a pump. (not to mention that you will be out of water during the time the pump is out of service and it's a lot of work).

Banned

Need advice on a generator

A dual-fuel in the 7-9kW range would be a more affordable alternative to the diesel-powered models, if you’re watching the budget. Runs on gasoline or propane. A propane pig set up on the property with access for a propane truck to refill it would be ideal. So would a diesel tank with a diesel generator.
    If money isn’t a great concern,

Sell it when you’re done using it.
    Good luck,
    —Griff
    Last edited by dangitgriff; 06-14-2019 at 03:42 PM.

On the portable units, pay particular attention to it's rating and what it actually puts out. Many of the generators out there have a down right false rating. We have a TrueLife 10K running, 12K start diesel generator that we bought used. It will put out 110V or 220V but not both at the same time. The original breaker on the 220V 30 amp outlet was 23 amps and would trip at 26.5 amps. Using the volts x amps = Watts formula the max our generator would actually put out is 5830 watts which is a far cry from 10K/12K watts that the stickers and owners manual says it puts out. That breaker went bad and was replaced with one that trips at 30 amps, so right now it still only will put out 6600 watts. The diesel engine bogs down pretty well before the 30amp breaker trips so I don't imagine we'd be able to replace the breaker and outlet with a 40amp at 8800 watts or a 50 amp breaker/outlet at 11000 watts which is close to what it is supposed to put out. We're looking at switching over to an automatic water cooled unit that runs off of natural gas and is rated for (actual) 15K-20K watts or a water cooled diesel unit. We loose power several times a year from a few hours to a few days and are on a well so the generator comes in handy.

Boolit Master
    Portable gen are sometimes too portable when it comes to thieves. I would get one rated at least 10KW it will run your a/c just fine but might be a little too heavy to lift in and out of truck by yourself. Depends on how rural you will be.

Banned
    I love propane as a fuel; it stores well, burns clean (less maintenance), isn't as effected by cold weather and the BIG plus is you can use it for other tasks. Cooking, heating, lights (yep - lights !), water heating and fueling engines. The down sides are the need for a large tank, the need for some way to fill it (take the tank to the fill station or bring a truck to the tank), the expense, the limited number of sources to purchase from, the reliance on a third party and the fact that it produces fewer BTU's per gallon.

Generally speaking I think the pros outweigh the cons, particularly if you are also cooking and heating with propane.

I'm unclear on what the OP's needs are. If he just needs a generator to construct the cabin and then to run some lights and a small A/C, he doesn't need a lot. If he needs to run a well pump, lights, A/C and refrigerator.... he needs a lot more wattage.

If it's 90 degrees at night with stifling humidity - I get wanting to run an A/C.
    But getting away from it all in a cabin is a bit ruined if you have to listen to a generator run 24/7.

So I think we need a little more info.

Boolit Master
    No well anytime soon. If the day comes when I can afford that, I’ll get a bigger generator.

AC will mostly be for escaping the heat of the day. This is Texas.

Moderator Emeritus

I recently completed (...alllmost ) the gutting to remodeling of a RV travel trailer -- now on blocks -- some great distance from all utilities. I ended up with TWO generators. The Honda 2000i has proved to be awesome. Heeding advice given to me when I purchased it, I ONLY use alcohol-free gasoline, to which I add Sta-bil at the rate of one ounce per two and one-half gallons of petrol; and, SeaFoam -- which I add at the rate of one ounce per gallon of petrol. Even after a lonnng winter of un-use, and with almost 400 hours on it -- it started last Sunday on the 2nd pull. While remodeling, I came across a Generac XL3450 unit -- obviously having the power to enable operation of a table saw and other tools requiring more amperage than I wished to subject the Honda to. It -- using similar fuel "mix" -- starts and runs well, but it very much noisier and consumes greater fuel than the Honda. With its electronic throttle control -- which automatically governs speed dependent upon load -- most of the time the generator running but 15 feet from the trailer can barely be heard. Its quietness turned to be a GREAT "plus" for this unit. I was able to get mine on-line from a place which purveys generators only, and thrown in was a cover and wheel kit. I haven't used the cover, as it's kept in a shed -- but the wheel cart (not necessary as the generator weighs so little) IS a real nice addition.
    Obviously -- from what you've read thus far -- the Honda has proven to be a most wise choice to me. Annnd, while I not have one, or the need, Honda sells a "parallel kit" where one may hook a 2nd 2000i generator to it, to run -- when needed -- large amperage demands -- e.g., a large air conditioner, etc.
    Good Luck!
    geo

Boolit Master
    It sounds like you're making a small building to work out of. I can tell you what I did, and I'm satisfied with it, but you might want something different. I'm in a location where I have no utilities at all. In fact, I have no cell service either. I bought a Yamaha EFI2400iSHC generator to use while I was building my camp, and use now. It powered every tool I needed to use to build the place and will run a small window AC unit with no problem. It's also extremely quiet. It was a toss up between the Honda 2000 or the Yamaha 2400. Honda now makes a larger unit. The features on the Yamaha that I like are the fuel shut-off, lower drain plug, and enough power to run the AC. Note: I really like Honda equipment, but the Yamaha was rated as good and had some better features at the time. I suggest you get some good battery powered hand tools and you can use them by charging the batteries while you're working. It's amazing how long they last and how powerful they are. For something like a table saw you can run right off the generator. Put up a solar cell and get some good batteries and LED lights. You can use the LED's at night and never run them dry....and they're really bright. I've had my place six years now and the Yamaha has never missed a beat. It always starts on one pull even in below zero weather. I can run eight hours on a tank full of gas and it's so quiet you pay no attention to it at night. If some day you need something bigger, it will make an outstanding back up generator.

Boolit Master
    Champion sells a decent generator that will do what you need. Has electric start, runs on gasoline or propane interchangeably, comes with a 3 year warranty, and it's affordable. Lot of good reviews, too. Check it out here: https://amzn.to/2WCWQ6B

Banned
    Don’t forget the wheel kit.

Boolit Buddy
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...64#post4662264

Link to earlier Generator discussion

You can't go wrong with a Honda. It's small enough to transport back and forth and QUITE.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Paper Puncher View Post
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...64#post4662264

Link to earlier Generator discussion

You can't go wrong with a Honda. It's small enough to transport back and forth and QUITE.
    And costs over $2,000 for a 3000 watt generator. Even a 2000 watt (which is not enough to run a decent size air conditioner; not that the 3000 will run much of one either) costs over $1,000. And, if the inverter goes out on any of the inverter generators, it costs hundreds to fix it.
    It's quite, alright: quite expensive. You can find a decent used 5-10 KW diesel genset for the price of the 3 KW Honda. In fact the going price for a military surplus MEP-002A diesel generator is right around $1500.

Boolit Master
    How big of an AC unit do you think you need for 256 sq.ft.? With any insulation in the building it won't take much to cool it off. A diesel generator to run an AC this size is like putting air brakes on a turtle.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    How big of an AC unit do you think you need for 256 sq.ft.? With any insulation in the building it won't take much to cool it off. A diesel generator to run an AC this size is like putting air brakes on a turtle.
    Well, I have a 5200 btu in my 160 square foot shop (not in Texas) and you can almost tell it's running a few hours after the sun goes down. So I would want 12,000 btu, minimum.
    The MEP-002a I mentioned is not "air brakes on a turtle," either. It's 5 KW. And my little diesel genset is 7.5 KW. Even with it I have to ration my loads.

Did I mention that I used to live offgrid with generator power?
    Last edited by Tracy; 06-14-2019 at 08:41 PM.

Boolit Master
    I built AC units for a living for forty years. AC Delco and Fedders. The number doesn't mean much if it's not working right or there is a lack of insulation. That's why they call them "heat exchangers". Again, the guy's talking about a very small building.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I bought a 3500 watt generator when power was out for more than 10 days paid way to much $650 for it but it was only one i could find in a 40 mile radius . It turned out to be a great investment. Our power went out for long periods ( days not hours ) once every couple years. This 3500 watt will run what i need. It does 2 refrigerators a deep freezer a 5000 btu air conditioning unit in a den thats 288 sq ft a 5000 window unit in bed room but not both air conditioners at once coffee pots microwave tv cable box dvd and stero also computer and moniter and most lights all except air at once. I have other mexas of heating and cooking. But no hot water. And i know this is not how its supposed to be done before the electricians give me grief. But i just turn off main breaker and plug from the 220 outlet on gen to house 220 plug. With a heavy duty extension cord. No muss no fuss no bill from electrician. My brother who worked for power company gave me the devil about it but it has worked since 2003 and i imagine it will work till i am gone.and the one i bought runns about 4 hours on a gallon of gas my neighbor has a 10000 watt that he fills a bigger tank twice for one of my fill ups.

Banned

we built our camp and ran it for 5 years with a 3500 watt honda. Ive got a 5000 watt cheap coleman at home and in an outage it will run my house including water pump and furnace and a normal load with 2 freezers. Sure you can spend a fortune if you have it and have a auto starting diesel that will run half the town but if you have furnace a water pump and a fridge and two freezers its going to be awful rare that any two are starting up at the same time. Ive yet to see mine trip a breaker. keep in mind that 250 square feet is half the size of a 2 car garage. Hes not building a 3 story split level mansion. a 5k unit will do anything you need. If you want to spend money instead of going bigger go better. A 5k honda will last about forever reliably and is good on gas, we can run it on gas or propane and it is relatively quiet. Its what runs our camp today. Even has remote start so you don't have to walk outside and pull a rope. To be honest it isn't ran very often. We also have a 2k honda that runs about steady and the only time anymore we use the big one is if were doing construction or are using the water pump. By the way before I retired I was a lineman. We put power into a home way back in the sticks. Guy built a 3 bed ranch and ran the total electric load for 5 years off a 5k honda gen that was started each morning and shut off at a bed time. He said all he ever did was put a couple plugs in it and changed the oil. He said it still ran like new and never used a drop of oil.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast