RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Big loop Lever for my 1886?

Big loop Lever for my 1886?

I was wondering for a long time about getting a big loop lever for my winchester 1886. Its an original so I dont want to alter any factory parts. Id like to buy a big loop for it. It would make it easier in the winter if I need to shoot in a hurry without taking off gloves, and just easier in general. It would also look pretty cool...

I know companies make some for Marlins, but im not sure about Winchesters... Il do more research for now but I dont think iv'e ever seen a big loop on an 1886. it surely wasn't a factory option back in the day!

They used to cut those and make them big loop until somebody started producing them.

If you can't find one ready made, it might be practical to get a new/replacement lever, and make the modification yourself.
    If you don't weld, most shops would do it pretty cheap if all the shaping is done, and the add in piece is made
    and they just have to make the two welds connecting to the cuts.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

In the real world, those great big John Wayne loops are about worthless. They look cool, but using them in a must hurry situation is a bad idea. If you need to make one, have it made like the new Marlin's, not more than an inch bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    They used to cut those and make them big loop until somebody started producing them.

If you can't find one ready made, it might be practical to get a new/replacement lever, and make the modification yourself.
    If you don't weld, most shops would do it pretty cheap if all the shaping is done, and the add in piece is made
    and they just have to make the two welds connecting to the cuts.
    Maybe I can get a full one made at a machine shop. But that would probably cost alot. Do you think the miroku levers are the same as the originals. Id buy one, like you said and cut it myself.

Boolit Buddy
    Veeman is right, in actual use those big loops are junk. I have one on my '92 and I can't stand it. Maybe a touch bigger for gloves but not the big spinning bows you see on most large Winchester levers.

As far as Miroku parts... they are similar but are metric so it might be close but it would probably take a fair amount of work to get right. Of course that is just speculation as I don't have a Miroku or an original 1886 to check.

Boolit Master

Look for a used lever on GB or check MGW in the rifle parts section and modify it yourself. I don't know anyone offerring a drop in copy for the 86. I looked at modding a st8 grip 1895 for use with gloves when WWG copy went up. Decided to move it down the road and replace it with a pistol grip version and mod that one instead. My Chiappa1886 copy has an enlarged one for use with gloves.

I dont want a massive loop. It looks ridiculous! And probably gets in the way. Id like one just a bit bigger.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    In the real world, those great big John Wayne loops are about worthless. They look cool, but using them in a must hurry situation is a bad idea. If you need to make one, have it made like the new Marlin's, not more than an inch bigger.
    agree .........we thought it would be fun tho .. we learnt to do the John Wayne spin with a 92 carbine , made a little ring flip gadget for the lever that worked like the Chuck Connors one in rifleman - but that worked better with the standard lever , good ammo waster!

I ripped out more than one shirt pocket doing the JW twirl with my 94 trapper that I had a big loop on. (yes, the gun was unloaded)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    I ripped out more than one shirt pocket doing the JW twirl with my 94 trapper that I had a big loop on. (yes, the gun was unloaded)
    we were loaded and live ..a nice little 92 .. the round doesnt chamber till the muzzle is coming up ..dunno about a 94 .. much less easy methinks.

Boolit Grand Master

I like the Wild West guns and current Marlin slightly bigger loops with a wrap of Paracord or leather. The Winchester big loops are cartoonish to me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I like the Wild West guns and current Marlin slightly bigger loops with a wrap of Paracord or leather. The Winchester big loops are cartoonish to me.
    yes ... I dont own a marlin - never will - but they got that loop about as right as could be done - for a pistol grip stock (or shooting with gloves - we dont need to do that downunder)

Ya the marlin ones look decent. Not to big