Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's get one thing straight mdi...

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    You motivated me to take a picture of some
    Win Big Bore in 375 Win
    Marlin Cowboy in 38-55
    Win 1886 in 45-70

What fun

P.S. John Boy, they are shooters, I just do not drag them through the gravel and I do oil them
    Now THAT is a bunch! Thanks a lot skeet, now you reminded me not only do I need a 38-55 but I also need a 1886.

Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Drew P I'm not a expert on lever actions ,just a old soldier who grow up shooting them the "curve" was a sign of the times,these were designed for the saddle and attire worn back then.
    I have asked the same question and the very knowledgeable people I asked said that it was the thinking of the period that the curved butt stock kept the rifle in place, against your shoulder better than a "shotgun" style, as they refered to the straighter butt. From my experience of shooting the curved butt rifles, it does indeed keep the rifle in place but with the heavy calibers it is a bit more painful. Some "drool" worthy rifles here, thanks for the pics.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    I have asked the same question and the very knowledgeable people I asked said that it was the thinking of the period that the curved butt stock kept the rifle in place, against your shoulder better than a "shotgun" style, as they refered to the straighter butt. From my experience of shooting the curved butt rifles, it does indeed keep the rifle in place but with the heavy calibers it is a bit more painful. Some "drool" worthy rifles here, thanks for the pics.
    It indexes better to the shoulder/armpit and it's far more pronounced on a lot of target rifles, morphing into the 'hooked' buttstocks on a lot of high-end models.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I once owned an older Savage 99 in 300 Sav which I (unwisely) traded for a Browning Buckmark 22 LR pistol. Wonderful old rifle. I'll get over the loss sometime.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    Why did they put such a pronounced curve on the butt end of the stocks on some of the oldies? Seems counterintuitive and cumbersome. I’ve shot a few and thought so at least.
    Beauties by the way, thanks for sharing
    It fits the shoulder nicely, and comes in handy for butt-stroking people in the face with it.

I absolutely LOVE my levers with crescent buttplates, it's definitely a major factor in making up the order of my wish list. I'm definitely lusting after rifles more than carbines.

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post

I absolutely LOVE my levers with crescent buttplates,
    Ditto

Looking at my books, most of the lever actions of the time had crescent buttplates.

With that said I really wish someone would make a clone of the Whitney-Kennedy.

The curved butt kept the rifle shouldered better when riding a horse. Flat butts would slip off....and that's not so good if you're hunting dangerous game or a soldier in battle.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12